I'm going catfishing this weekend and need help

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by mudkat, Apr 19, 2006.

1. mudkat

mudkat New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    hey guys im going catfishing at this pretty big private sandpit down in plattesmouth that i know for a fact there is a 6 1/2foot long flathead and a couple 50lb flats and blue and maybe some huge channels but me and my friend brett,(the lady that ows the sandpits son) set a trotline out and we went and checked it after a while.we took a pontoon boat out and as i surfaced this beast(it could be a world record breaker no joke)it snaped 40lb braded spider wire and i would like some tips on rigging baits etc.this lake has channel blue and flathead catfish carp walleye crappie pike muskie gar bass goldfish some huge suckers buffalo bluegill sunfish and warmouths so if you have any suggestions on what riggs what bait what structers to fish around? i would really appreiciate it.thanks:)

2. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Sounds like paradise.

3. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    A six foot 6 inch flathead would most definately be a new world record I would think. Keep reading in the flathead section of this forum and you should learn all you need to know. Good luck and will be looking forward to reading about your world record catch in the magazines.

4. copycat

copycat New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    Hey ryan, did you ever see the movie jaws. There is a part in the movie when Quint is out on the pulpit of the boat shooting a harpoon gun with a line attached to empty kegs. As jaws passed by the boat he would shoot him with the harpoon and the fish would then have to drag the empty kegs around keeping him from going under water. Just make sure you use thick enough rope and at least half kegs. Good luck on you expedition!:)

5. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    Structure would be the best place to start,flatties love structure.I use mono line but if there as big as you say they are you might want to go with some heavy braided line like power pro.You can fit heavier test line on your reel with the power pro.

6. steveg442

steveg442 New Member

State:
    missouri
    Take some pics of that bad boy.

7. ersel

ersel New Member

State:
    Haughton Louisiana
    Shine a flashlight on the water at night I here they love that.

8. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    and make sure to be wearing a pink tu-tu,i've heard they like that also.

9. fish

fish Active Member

State:
    ChattanoogaTenn
    Hey Ryan, rig up with a live bream and scrape a few scales off of one side and if you hang the big one be sure that you are tired to a good size tree, because a flathead that size can drag a grown man in. It sounds like you may have found a great place to fish. I wish you luck my friend.

10. blackhorse83

blackhorse83 New Member

State:
    missouri
    pictures please I would like to see that one!

11. beeheck

beeheck New Member

State:
    Iowa / Missouri
    I read the post on the 1/2 empty kegs and thought that was an excellent idea, but would like to point out that a completely empty keg will be more buoyant and I, at this time, would like to offer my years of training and expertise in emptying kegs to this prestiges, illustrious and honorable attempt at a world record flathead. I will do this dastardly deed not for money but to keep a young fellow, such as yourself, away from this devils brew. Consider this my resume, short as it is but I need another beer, I need to go to the fridge.lol

12. bmaultbay

bmaultbay New Member

State:
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    I too, am an expert in the art of keg emptying, and offer my services, at no cost, to you. happy fishing, or harpooning:) , and be sure to take a compressed air tank with you to finish that booger off!

13. RIP

RIP New Member

State:
    Somerville, Tennessee
    If you hooked him once, I would say use the same bait and fish the same spot. Just use heaver line and hold on for dear life.

14. MercMan

MercMan New Member

State:
    WV
    Is there a giant ape there too? Maybe some T-Rex? I've heard that if you offer up a good looking blonde to the monkey he'll leave you alone. Might work with the big flattie. :rolleyes:

15. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma

This young man is looking for help. We need to offer our SERIOUS assistance, not poke fun.

16. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    OK OK Tony you always have to spoil the fun.Catch yourself one of the biggest brim,warmouth,crappie,bluegill etc you can.Rig it on a float rig and pitch it out there.He will find it and if you suspend it at a place where deep water comes up shallow like on a point it will make it easier for him.Wolfman send the kid one of those rifles he is probably going to need it!!!LOL;) :) If all else fails put a note in a bottle that says."I have hired the most famous flathead spooker in the entire world to deal with you;H2O MELLON and he will be here soon" You should then find the fish either at the local Quickstop buying a pair of sunglasses OR washed up on shore paralysed with fear.:p :rolleyes: :) :cool: Good luck son and let us know how it came out :If you can.:)

17. slimepig

slimepig New Member

State:
    Kerrville Texas
    hmmm, maybe im misreadin yer post, but you did say you set out a trotline. hopefully yer trotline has better line than 40 lb spiderwire. i suggest 600 lb mainline with 300lb stagings and 10/0 j hooks with a 6 inch bluegill fer bait. also, respect that fish if you catch him. he's probably older than you, or me for that matter, n deserves to be released!

18. trfoster

trfoster New Member

State:
    north carolina
    well said,Daniel, my thoughts also.Id run another trot line with all the fixings like daniel posted and use the same bait ,in the same area i hear they stay in the area they hunt especially if the food supply is abundint,theyll move to find a better hunting ground if it gets hard for them to find any.I use steal leaders and sometimes homemade steal leaders out of wire clothes hangers.plus the heavy duty line daniel suggested will support the possible other big cats that might be on there with that monster.GOOD LUCK!!:)

19. catseeman

catseeman New Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    I think they covered it pretty good. ijust hope to see the pictures, Then I will drain a keg in your honor. good luck .;)

20. cumberlandcat

cumberlandcat New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    lets see some pics and it sounds like i wouldn't go swimmin in there