Im eating some grass carp right now!

Discussion in 'Carp Fishing' started by aburk, Mar 30, 2009.

1. aburk

aburk New Member

State:
    Tucson, AZ
    And WOW! I am very impressed by the quality of the meat! I deep fried it like catfish and it is better than catfish, i reminds me of sunfish a little bit, the bones are easy to pick out and cause no problem, you can eat the bones if you want, after deep frying the are very fragile and just fall apart when chewing, i highly recommend eating grass carp!

2. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm NO !!!!! :smile2:

3. aburk

aburk New Member

State:
    Tucson, AZ
    dont knock it til you try it, believe me

4. bw69r

bw69r Well-Known Member

State:
    West Newton, PA
    i'll take your word for it. :wink:

5. shelbygt1979

shelbygt1979 New Member

State:
    Olathe, KS
    I'll agree with Brian on this one thanks:crazy:

6. backwoodsman68geric

backwoodsman68geric New Member

State:
    illinois
    I keep hearing they're great eating, dont know if I'd ever be that hungry though but I applaud you for trying them, just never know. Eel and dogfish we're favorites of grandpa, but he did get some looks! By the way, dogfish are best killed and fried on the fishin bank. They dont do good on a stringer or dressed and frozen. Whack'em, dress'em and fry'em. Eels are good eatin and make good bait too.

7. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I'll never understand why some people have and aversion to eating carp. It is a prize catch in many parts of the world. It was introduced here for a food source. Tell me why you won't eat it? It certainly isn't because it tast bad.....:big_smile:

8. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    Around here you would be in big trouble.if we catch a grass carp we have to release it immediately.And there are signs posted everywhere.

9. craddock1

craddock1 Active Member

State:
    TENNESSEE
    I eat carp when i catch them in the mountain streams around here in mid to late summer. In early spring when they have just come up from the lakes they taste like mud but after 5 or 6 weeks in clean water they are good eating.

10. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    You're right. Carp are excellent when they are prepared right. If they ain't prepared right they are pretty bad. I never had grass carp, just plain old carp but done right it is really good.

Wife wanted some one time, so one winter day a guy called me up cause he was goin to get some to smoke. We went out to the lake and got a few as they pulled the net out. Took em home and gave a couple to wife, and got the rest ready to smoke. Wife invited the friend to supper and we went to finish them for smoking. The guy came for supper and was really impressed. He couldn't believe he was eating carp.

11. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent

Same here........ But "common" carp are very good eating, and a blast catching, one of the most overlooked GIANT fish to catch most any where.

12. Mr. Foster

Mr. Foster New Member

State:
    Kansas
    what do you use for bait on grass carp? Where i fish if the flats aint hitten, i throw some worms on and look for a fight. I can catch 20 pounders and up. Its good practice for setting you drag and fighting fish.

13. treddinwater

treddinwater Active Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    I've been wanting to try carp, I just wouldn't trust them in most of the waterways around me. If I can ever catch one under 6lbs out of the lake my Grandma lives on, I'll probably keep one out of there. Only problem is I never catch any under 10lbs out of there...its like they go from minnow to double digits in there. But I've heard good things, and I'm willing to try it. I've heard smoked is really good (that's how they do it in Europe) and I guess you just can't go wrong with frying fish. I've had buffalo fish and it's pretty good.

14. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    Goldfish keeps coming to mind, I'll pass for now.

15. seahaggy

seahaggy New Member

State:
    kentucky
    It's against the law in these parts.Silly lawmakers.What about those ASIAN CARP????Could feed millions.

16. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    The white amur or grass carp is a prized fish in China and asia where it is native. I've had it before and it taste better than ANY catfish in the world. Do not associate them with the common carp or goldfish. The meat texture is different. Here, they are only used for controlling vegetation.

Don't knock it until you try it.

17. Bigfish18

Bigfish18 Member

State:
    Wichita, Kansas
    I was told that grass carp are not carp at all. I heard that they are from the minnow family. I might be wrong?

18. shelbygt1979

shelbygt1979 New Member

State:
    Olathe, KS
  19. Bigfish18

Bigfish18 Member

State:
    Wichita, Kansas
  20. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I don't know bout grass carp but smoke some carp or grill it then get back to me & tell me what ya think:cool2: