I'm confused about this "Fall Fishing"

Discussion in 'KENTUCKY RIVERS TALK' started by Raven Blayde, Oct 22, 2009.

1. Raven Blayde

Raven Blayde New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    This is the first year that I've really attempted to get out there in the cooler weather and catch the big ones. What I'm finding right now is confusing the heck out of me. From what I've gathered, right now is suposed to be the time the big cats are "On". However, I'm not catching jack as far as catfish goes. Instead, I'm nailing big largemouth bass, smallmouth bass and sauger. Not complaining cause these are fun to catch and are great eating, but where did the catfish go? I caught one small channel cat yesterday and it was the only cat I've caught in about 3 weeks now (and I'm on the river usually twice a week). Another small problem I ran into was bait. I went to the creek to catch my usual bluegill and they are gone!!! I guess they moved out of the creeks to the main river for the year. Instead, I caught a couple of shad and creek chubs in my usual bluegill hole. No big deal, I'll just use those for bait instead and luckily I have 3-4 bluegill still left from last weekend. But this does tell me that bait will be hard to come by as the year progresses. Another confusing thing is that all year, I've caught my cats on live bait. Never could get even a bite on dead or cut bait. Yesterday, the creek chub I had on died, so I cut him up. Caught the small channel cat on it (First and only fish I've caught on cut bait) and had several hits on cut bait after that one- But they didn't want the live bait!! :confused2: Whatever it was that was hitting though, was so small, they couldn't even take the bait enough to hook them. They just kept stealing it off the hook. lol... The area I fish down there is rocky and shallow compared to the rest of the river and I've always done better in this area than the deeper water. Right now, I'm not finding any cats there though. I did try the deeper water areas for a while yesterday and still nothing. Where did they go? I can't help but feel I'm missing something here or doing something wrong. I'm catching fish, just not the ones I'm looking for.

2. boyd79

boyd79 New Member

State:
    illinois
    they just started hitting up here too the last week, but didn,t get nothing on anything but small shad they wouldn,t touch the big bates. sum time got to try different cuts. they should be turning on down there any week. if the water is still up i like fishing the dams, seems like i have best luck at dams when its high water. i use skippys and any part of a spoonbill i can get. tore um up on spoonbill guts this time last year.

3. crazyKat

crazyKat New Member

State:
    kentucky
    i was out yesterday and caught a few channels on small cut shad then i switched to big baits the size of my hand and had to wait alot londer than the small baits but landed a blue around 12 pounds. then moved and started drifting with big baits in about 35-40 ft of water had to small bites and then drifted over a hump and landed a blue around 15 pounds. seeing the hump holding fish on the bottom and the hump goes from 40 to 30 then back it was hard to drift without getting hung up so i sat down on the spot and used big bait again. had a few bumps and a big slow bend and i grabbed the rod and he got off but he felt bigger than both the other blues. i fish fopr 5 hrs before i finally found the fish. they are hitting just scattered out. if you find them they will eat. i havent had any luck on gills i stick to shad and skips cut

4. Big Sam

Big Sam Well-Known Member

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    Well we call this "period" the in-betweens:eek:oooh::tounge_out: The cats are in-between the change of seasons...at least here in Arkansas shouldnt be too much difference there ..water temp is in the middle 60* range we been watching the deeper water on the graphs not much yet..last weekend they were really spread out & finnicky eaters ...they only bit our skips never touched a shad period in 8 hrs!!!! (we were in a tourney) Right now ya gotta just fish & move fish & move..with 20minutes left to fish we finally found a school that was biting (good thing too:wink:) We will use shad when they start gorging themselves good bait is definately a plus:big_smile:

5. lance

lance New Member

State:
    kentucky
    This is the time I traditionally catch my best smallmouths . There are probably more blues the closer you get to the Ohio which will eat year round as for me in Richmond there are 0 of them here so time to for me to start thinking bout hunting and freezer filling .

6. o'boro cat hunter

o'boro cat hunter New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Went out yesterday caught 9 blues, 28 biggest 4 smallest and a 15 lbs drum,caught a 30lbs day before,Bite has pick up over the last week,hope to hit them up again this weekend. First time Fall fishing for me to.

Attached Files:

7. flatheadslayer

flatheadslayer New Member

State:
    Thomaston, Geor
    how long do you fish before you move.

8. Raven Blayde

Raven Blayde New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I went out again yesterday morning. Put my boat in the water and waited for it to get daylight enough to head up river. Trolled about 2 miles up the rock banks (where I normally do my Catfishing) with hopes of catching some Bass or Sauger, but only caught a Drum. The Drum swallowed my "Hot N Tot" and was bleeding very badly from it's gills, so guess what? I cut him up for cutbait. lol.... Hey, I've tried about everything else, so why not? I had poles set out with cut Drum, cut Shad, live Shad, live Bluegill and "Stink Bait". Fished deep holes, shallow areas, around rocks, around logs and even drifted all the way back to the ramp when I was going home (up the middle of the river) and never got a bite on any of the baits all day. I'm hoping that this rain we are getting right now will put them back to biting this evening.

9. allflats

allflats Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I agree this fall fishing is nothing like they say.Nothing worth talking about the last month or two.Last trip today unless bite picks up.:sad2:

10. Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Kentucky
    fish are off one day an on the next right now because of the temps are fluctuating and droping! but this transition between summer and fall is not really fall fishin guys! your best months will be oct.thru dec. depending on the climate in your region, and the body of water your fishing or when the water temps starts to drop below 60 degrees, thats when they will start to feed heavy and be grouping up for the winter! with nov. around deer season being the best for me here in ky!

good luck guys! it will get better!

11. bnt55

bnt55 New Member

State:
    Northern KY
    Good info Steve! Might be a good idea to get the deer fever out of the way soon in order to capitalize on the fishing.

12. catwhisper

catwhisper New Member

State:
    georgia
    I fished thur. and fri. with cut and live gills. fished all the places i usually catch fish and got one bite and got to anxcious and pulled it out of his mouth. fished rocks, drop offs, tree piles and flat bottom. the only place i didnt try was the mouth of sloughs and creeks. gonna try them mon. water temp has dropped from 70 to 68 and that could have had something to do with it. they had a bass tourney here and most boats didnt catch anything but a few had only one or two fish. that is why we call it fishing instead of catching. i just love being out there. good luck next time!

13. o'boro cat hunter

o'boro cat hunter New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Caught today.They are on bite.Fall fishing or whatever you call it,I like it.

Attached Files:

14. Raven Blayde

Raven Blayde New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I gave it one more shot on Friday. Went out while the river was on the rise (which should be the best time). The river raised a good 3ft in just what time I was there. Got rained on a few times, but toughed it out till almost dark. Not one single bite again. I gave it up for the year. My boat is in need of repairs anyway (that I've been putting off), so I'm gonna focus my time into fixing things and be prepared for the spring when it gets here. I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that I think these smaller rivers aren't gonna produce as well in the later part of the year as the larger rivers (such as the Ohio). From what I'm seeing, the part of the Ky river I fish is nothing but dead water right now. Hopefully, I can get my boat in decent enough running condition that I can also go out on the Ohio river next year for the first time and see what I've been missing. lol....

15. allflats

allflats Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Managed to get on some fish last night at carrolton.Hooked what could have been the biggest i have caught but lost it just before i could see how big it was.:angry:It felt like it may have been over 50 but who knows now, im so pissed i let it go.:angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry: Put 4 flats in the boat all between 5 and 10 pounds.

16. fishstick

fishstick New Member

State:
    Fouke, Arkansas
    bobby, you give up too easily. fall fishing can be some of the best of any time of the year but can be some of the most aggravating too. cold fronts and changing water levels can have detrimental effects on fishing. try fishing on a day when the weather has been stable for a few days or just ahead of a cold front. i have a small river here that i fish that can make you wonder if it actually has a fish population at all. but giving up and not fishing just because you've had bad results is not going to make a good fisherman out of you. ask for help from some of the local fishermen in your area. most people won't mind sharing their expertise with you. i don't know the water temp on your river but if it's above 60 degrees then the fish should be feeding actively getting ready for the winter months. after it falls below 60 or so then you can start looking for them in the deeper holes. fishing the edges of this deeper water should be productive. in my area the water temps in january will hit the upper 40s to low 50s and the fish will be sluggish but they still feed. you may have to move often to find them and give them 20 minutes to bite. good fresh cut bait is the bait of choice for blues any time of the year. hope you don't give up on fall fishing and that you gather the skills to find and catch the fish.

17. Raven Blayde

Raven Blayde New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Thanks fishstick. I really do need to fix this boat though (it's running on one cylinder). As for giving up too easily, I have literally beaten myself to death on this river all year. I'm usually out there at least twice a week for 10-12hrs each trip and I'm actually loading and unloading my boat in my sleep :smile2:. Nice days, hot days, cold days, rainy days, in floods, at night, you name it and I've been there this year. I think I need a break from it for a while or I'm gonna drive myself (and my wife) insane. That's another nice added bonus (having a wife who is allergic to fish and get's ticked when you're gone all day fishing). lol... The local fishermen- All have quit for the year. I've been the only person out there for weeks now that I've seen. All things considered, I think I've put more than my share of time into the Ky River this year. Only big fish I've brought out all year was the 20lb Flathead in my picture. The rest have been fish under 10lb. lol.... I really think I deserve a break!! lol... :wink:

18. lance

lance New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Like I mentioned earlier betting there are no blues and I haven't had much luck catching flats or chanels when it gets cold where I am at on the KY . A 20lber is nothing to sneeze at on rod and reel on the KY . Yes there are bigger in there .But remember there was a big fish kill downstream from one of the distillerys a couple years back around Frankfort that being said fish for the sauger if your gonna fish it might aleive some of the frustration if you stop for the year I say you still have fought the good fight !:big_smile: keep your head held hi and keep on keeping on !

19. Raven Blayde

Raven Blayde New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    You brought up some good points lance. I remember hearing something about a spill in Frankfort from one of the locals a year or so back. Don't know how long something like that will effect the fishing (since fish travel up and down these rivers), but that is definantly something I should consider as being a factor for this area. I do know that there are some bigger fish still left in these parts as several have been caught since it happend (such as a 90lb Flathead one of the locals caught last spring on a trotline). But the spill probably has knocked the fishing down quite a bit from what it once was. Hopefully, it won't take too long to get back to normal. Blue cats- They were here a month ago. I've caught several Blues this year, but none of any real size. Soon as October hit, they stopped. It's like all the cats just packed up their bags this month and went south for the winter. lol... After seeing that 92lb Blue caught yesterday at the Ohio, I'm about to fix my boat, say "To heck with the KY River" and head for the Ohio!!! :smile2:

20. lance

lance New Member

State:
    kentucky
    I keep hoping the blues will make it here someday but need floods that cover all the low head dams so they can make there way this far up river . Which wouldn't be good for my friends that live along the river . Were you catching blues ABOVE the dam @ Frankfort ?