I'm cheating a little...

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by Spencer_Blanton, Apr 10, 2006.

1. Spencer_Blanton

Spencer_Blanton New Member

State:
    Franklin, Ohio
    This is also posted in the homemade baits section. Sorry for the double post, but I'm not getting the answers I'm looking for.

This is what I intend to do. Let me know if I am about to go horribly astray.

My local butcher will save some blood for me. By the time I receive it, the plasma will have separated. My intention is to pour off the plasma, add Anise or Garlic to the remaining clot, mix it until it's pourable, then pour onto greased cookie sheets until it hardens and dries a little. I envision cutting it into 1/2" chunks like little stinky brownies. My fear is that it won't harden again once I mix it. Also, if I put a screen over the cookie sheets, will it prevent magots from getting into it while it dries?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Spencer

2. APD1146

APD1146 New Member

State:
    New York
    Try it you might like it. I don't know how long it will stay on until try it. I may use a filler with like cotton or cattail fluff. I hope this helps and let us know how you make out.
    Welcome to the club.

3. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    i cant answer about the clotting issue but if the screen is resting on the clot then yes you'll get some maggots. she'll lay eggs on the screen and they'll crawl down thru when the hatch. I dont think you'll have that issue if its suspended about the clots.

4. armynavy

armynavy New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Heck who cares about maggots in the mix, that would just be fruit cocktail to a catfish, I say let them babies harden in there too.

5. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Here's a recipe I found on the web. Hopefully it will give you some useable ideas.

Blood Bait
    Ingredients:
    Brown sugar
    Vanilla Extract
    Piece of plywood or some other container.

Preparation:
    First start off by pouring your blood onto your container (make sure its a flat container.)
    Then sprinkle a thick layer of brown sugar onto your blood bait.
    Let the blood dry up and become crusty and dry.
    Pour your bottle of vanilla extract onto the blood bait covering as much as possible.
    Once again sprinkle a thick layer of brown sugar onto the blood bait again, then using a fork punch holes all over the bait.

Remove your bait from the plywood or container and let that side dry if necessary, then cut into 3/4 of an inch by 3/4 of
    an inch squares or something appropriate for the hook you use.