I'm back

Discussion in 'Jims Woodworking' started by Lynne, Feb 1, 2008.

1. Lynne

Lynne New Member

State:
    Klondike, TX
    It's been awhile since I have had a chance to get into the BOC. Clara has been down, I have been taking her to the doctor. She went to get glasses and they found her blood pressure was real high. We were worried she would have to have surgery but they found out finally what the cause was and are trying to take care of it with drugs.

My latest project has been a small kitchen table that was given to us. So that has been keeping me kind of busy. I am refinishing it and should be done this week. The table was an inexpensive unit but those who know me know I never turn down anything free.LOL I reglued the chairs, and refinished them and now I am finishing up on the table. I sanded the top but it was pretty rough so I planned it and sanded it again. NOw it is looking pretty good.

I will have to start catching up on my reading now.

2. fish

fish Active Member

State:
    ChattanoogaTenn
    Hey buddy, I thought we were going to have to put your picture on a milk carton or something. It sure is good to see your smiling face again. We sure do hope Clara is doing much better now days. By the way when you get your table and chairs done be sure to post some pictures for us. Welcome back my friend.

3. Lynne

Lynne New Member

State:
    Klondike, TX
    Jim,

I will post pictures but like I said the table is an inexpensive one. I Just put some sealer on it yesterday, going to sand it and put the first coat of varnish on today. Also making another screen door and going to varnish it today.

I'm getting a late start today. Kind of slept in. Don't hardly ever do that, guess I was real tired last night. I had better get at it so I can go check out the lakes.

Take care

Lynne:big_smile:

4. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Welcome back to the BOC.

5. Reel_Blues

Reel_Blues New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Lynne welcome back good luck with the table share pics when you can.

6. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Lynne Welcome back. You have a lot of catching up to do. Good Luck on your table project.

7. bud1110

bud1110 New Member

State:
    East Texas
    Welcome back my good Friend.

Sounds like you got a project well under control...lol

8. Lynne

Lynne New Member

State:
    Klondike, TX
    Here we go, remember you asked for it.LOL:big_smile:

The first two pictures show the table top when I got it. You can see the varnish had been off for awhile. Grease and dirt had worked into the wood top.

The legs and boards around the bottom of the table we yellowed and nicked up so I sanded and repainted them.

Attached Files:

9. Lynne

Lynne New Member

State:
    Klondike, TX
    A few more pictures

I finally planed the top then sanded it until it looked good.

I put a coat of sanding sealer on it then a light sanding and the first two coats of clear varnish.

I still want to put two more coats of varnish on it but I think it looks okay.

Attached Files:

10. Lynne

Lynne New Member

State:
    Klondike, TX
    Here ia a little extra, I made several of these, Clara baked cookies and put them on a tray and we gave them to the neighbors for Christmas. The pictures are a little dark but I think you can see them okay:tounge_out:

Attached Files:

11. curdog

curdog New Member

State:
    Sheridan, Arkansas
    Lynne, Welcome back! I'm glad thay found out what was causeing your wife's high blood pressure and treating it.
    Thats a good looking table. Looks like it took alot of work. Thanks for sharing the pictures!

12. fish

fish Active Member

State:
    ChattanoogaTenn
    Lynne, that don't look like the same table buddy. You did a great job restoring it. That little santa claus is really neat. You are really blessed with a great talent my friend. Thanks for posting your projects, we really do enjoy them.

13. Lynne

Lynne New Member

State:
    Klondike, TX
    I have a new project just for me.LOL I am going to ry and restore the stock on my father's old Sprigfield 22 cal. rifle. The rifle shootsgood, I am going to check out the sights tomorrow.

The rifle does have on problem though, it is a semi automatic and it tries to fire like a full automatic rifle causing the shells to jam up if it is used in semi automatic mode. I don't know if it can be fixed because of it's age but I am going to take it to a gunsmith and find out. I don't know how old it is but my father had it ever since i was born so that make it a least 19 years old.LOL Really it makes it 65 years old at least.

I will take some pictures and post them tomorrow, maybe get some input on cleaning up the stock. A person can always use input, that's how we learn.

14. Lynne

Lynne New Member

State:
    Klondike, TX
    Here are two pictures of the stock. Tha white paint isn't painted on, it looks like it was scraped against something white. I can't feel any dents where the paint is but it doesn't come off easy. I suppose I will have to sand the whole stock down and revarnish unless someone has an idea of how to get the paint off and still leave the finish unharmed. :confused2:

Any ideas will be apriciated

Attached Files:

15. Coloman

Coloman New Member

State:
    Soddy Daisy, Tn
    Have you tryed scraping the white off with a piece of scrap wood?

16. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Lynne,

That table looks absolutely AWESOME!!!!
    The santa is really cute too.

On the gun stock, I'm not sure I would strip it and start over. I personally think that the marks give the gun its character. I think I would lightly sand the stock to smooth out any rough spots, then seal with a clear coat to let the character shine through.

17. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    WELCOME BACK :big_smile:

18. Dave L

Dave L New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Lynne, first I want to say welcome back.
    Second, the table turned out great!
    Third, you could try a cotton buffing wheel to remove the paint from the rifle stock.
    One more option would be goo gone mark remover.

19. fish

fish Active Member

State:
    ChattanoogaTenn
    Lynne like Dave said try the Goo Gone or another one is Goof Off. If it is latex paint it will come off with a rag and some Goof Off or Goo Gone. If you have to sand it, try using a cabinet scraper or a broken piece of glass makes a good scraper. The finish will get hot and load up a sanding belt or disk but the scraper will do a great job. You could sand after scraping the finish off.

20. Lynne

Lynne New Member

State:
    Klondike, TX
    Okay, thanks, I will try all those ideas and let you know how it worked out.