I'm afraid for the future of trapping!

Discussion in 'Trapping & Fur Taking' started by bowfoot, Dec 22, 2007.

1. bowfoot

bowfoot New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Is anyone out there willing to have a very civil discourse about some problems I see within the fur industry and how they treat us trappers...I am a trapper for the last 45 years...I want to keep trapping until my old body won't let me any more...I am not a anti-puke...I am a trapper and these are real problems....If no one is interested ...have a great season and merry Christmas

2. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Jimmy: You asked for a civil discussion here. I ain't no tenderfoot. I have done, been around and am currently acquainted with very respected and knowledgeable trappers.

When I moved to this property in 1985 I removed a bushel and a half of traps and snares off my lime bluffs, creeks and fence lines. The people who trapped here when I moved in I would not let remove their traps, I did it for them. They didn't get them back.

You, and I at one time , loved to trap. You still do. I have absolutely, not one, not a single problem with that, absolutely seriously, have not a problem with that.

Eras come and go. We have no control over them, no matter our attitude. We are all small fish in a very big pond. Trapping I consider like the last buggy whip maker. I am sure he made a living, was very good at and enjoyed making buggy whips. Unless you live in an Amish community, I doubt that you know too many buggy whip makers and they are probably in China. I think of trapping as a niche profession. Somebody has a coon they want out of the attic, like the bee guy who removes a swarm from somebodies house. Or a big cat has killed some dumba!! jogger in California and they call you. Or the coyotes have come too close to where Fifi takes her dump.

Whatever market is out there for hides it will continue to get smaller. Urbanization, PETA, ranch raised, or most people just don't care because they have no idea.

Let's see what some other folk have to say.

3. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    im not the smartest apple in the barrel but i see 2 things that might help bring back the fur prices of yesterday.1st get our goverment to take back the honesty in advertizing.let the manufactors call a skunk a sable and so on.
    2nd make the manufacturers stop making fake furs.when a women can buy a fur coat made from fake hairs for 300 shes not gonna buy a real fur for 1600.as long as these fakes look and feel like the real thing fur will never be high again.

4. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Just dropped in to wish you a Merry Christmas :big_smile:

5. primitivefrn

primitivefrn Member

State:
    collins mo
    Trapping some enjoy it and the outdoors. some don't Their was a time it was part of people life a source of income or food . A lot like fishing, at one time people fished to put food on table, now its more of a sport, and enjoyment.
    I have sold for and bought christmas, used for money to buy color fish finder.and so on I love the outdoors. Trapping is part of our Heritage and we need Young blood in the sport.have traned or help some young guys get a better knowledge of it, as much satisfaction as catching big a fish, yourself
    enjoy it and share.
    Jim

6. Catfish_Commando

Catfish_Commando TF Staff Member

State:
    Georgia
    This will get interesting.

I am kind of interested if its simply a tradition slowly fading away, a viable and needed commercial outlet, recreational activity, or a perceived loss of rights?

7. stinkbaitman

stinkbaitman New Member

State:
    south dakota
    i am very concerned about what the future of trapping will come to. i can put a solid bet on certain things being outlawed such as foothold traps, snares, conibears, and just about anything else that is suposedly cruel. but face it peta, NATURE IS CRUEL!

8. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    Postbeetle did a much better job of putting my thoughts into words, than I could have.
    It's just the way things are. There are many things that have changed over the years. Almost, if not all, have turned some folks lives upside down. To add to the buggy whips, how about wooden sleds, home fuses, feed stores, corner grocers, small farms and door-to-door salesmen?
    How about home deliveries like milk, eggs, coal and even ice?
    The average man used to love working on his car or truck. That all left when they made it far too complicated.
    What about TV repair?
    Even liquor stores are gone, for the most part.

So many jobs are no longer needed. Most things are throw away and are never attempted to be fixed. It's cheaper to buy new than to fix.

We carry on about Walmart buying from China and selling stuff so low the small competition has to close their doors, but we still shop there. Why, because the things ARE cheaper. Same thing closed the doors to small corner grocery stores, the big chain food stores sell things cheaper.

We don't like it! We rant and rave about it! We may even hold out as long as we can to resist these changes. But, things DO change and whether we like it or not, change will happen. It doesn't matter whether it's a bad change or a good one.

Like the animals & plants the world over, we either adjust or die out. It's natures way. It's just the way things are.

9. curdog

curdog New Member

State:
    Sheridan, Arkansas
    I agree with ya'll on all the other things like whip making and home fuses. But I don't about trapping. Yeah I know the prices or low and declining market. But if there isn't some kind of incentive to get people to hunt or trap fur bearers whats to keep them from getting over populated and starving to death and dieing of disease. Or getting into peoples houses looking for food because thay or hungre.
    Just my 2 cents worth.

10. Wabash River Bear

Wabash River Bear New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I haven't trapped in alot of years. I think I got out around "85". I miss it greatly, but still remember why I quit. Fur prices, public attitude toward trappers, increasing license fees, trap prices, and crooked fur buyers.
    Back in the day I had a sweet deal going on. I worked at a fish hatchery in my home town, with sole permission to trap all of its 200 1/2 acre ponds and headwater lakes. So much trapping I took on a partner. It was like the old long lines of yesteryear. We loved it. Fur prices were at a premium (I remember x-large rats bringing $12.00). We got a $1.00 bounty per tail from the hatchery for rats. We hooked up with a domestic fox and wolf breeder to sale him all our carcasses for 25 cents a pound for feed. Absolutely no waste. We were in trapping heaven. More rats, mink, fox, koon, and beaver than one could imagine.
    Then the fur haters started getting noticed, the publics view on fur changed(seems those Hollywood starlets didnt like getting dowsed in blood by those bleeding heart do gooders), prices dropped, fees went up, fur buyers fearing the end of their future started becoming as crooked as a dogs leg.
    We decided enough is enough. We had a good run for a long time. We saw what the future had in store for us. Let them get over run with furry critters up to their eyeballs, then maybe the trapper will be once again appreciated and neccesary.

11. warcraft1975

warcraft1975 New Member

its all of the above.trappers are more important than most will ever realize. we help keep numbers in check for the animals we trap. keeping them healthy and around longer.to me its my life i trap all season long and as hard as i can. i love doing it. it can make me money also if i work hard enough. hunters and trappers alike are very important when it come to wildlife management.its also tradition. my grandfather trapped. my dad trapped. i trap and my son traps.

12. TX Fisherman

TX Fisherman New Member

State:
    Texas
    i dont know what trapping was like in the 80's or the 70's or almost any time for that matter, but i have listened to people talk, and i believe alot of it is PETA, and groups like PETA harrasing people who wear fur, and all the fake fur that can be sold, im sure that if the government banned fake furs, that trapping would be an extremly high priced buisness, fur prices would sky rocket, and if the goverment would get on to soem anti cruelty groups like peta for harassing those who wear animal furs, that trapping would have a huge boost, and if trapping dies out, then like alot of other people have mentioned, animals would get way over populated, and this in return would cause more problems, including problems for other animals. Because people have worked there way into the foodchain, like w/o deer hunters, deer would more than likely starve to death, i think that if the same things happens with trappers that the effects could be worse, cause the furbearing animals are pretty low on the food chain, which would in return cause a pile up all throughout the foodd chain.

13. warcraft1975

warcraft1975 New Member

by the way if you are truely afraid for the future of trapping please join your local organization it will truly help the cause. there are people out there that would gladly see hunting fishing and trapping gone forever.

14. bowfoot

bowfoot New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Hey guys ...I loved to hear from y'all....The fur industry is a $1.8 to $2 BILLION dollar business on average every year, world wide.....Sounds like it is still kicking pretty good...If someone wanted that many buggy whips, I'd switch over and start making them and hang my traps up....My beef with the fur industry is how they treat the trapper....WE are the bottom of the barrel to them and they have put in place a system that keeps us there....it's called the fur market...We go out and bust our humps gathering their raw material for their industry and they sell it to the LOWEST BIDDER....The local fur buyer is in on it too....they are trying to make a profit off of our furs at the next level up from the trapper....preasure is placed on them to buy within a certain set price range and who sets that price...someone else who is going to make a profit and a living off of your furs, on up the line of profit makers...I'm doing a state by state survey on how many or how few licensed trappers there still are left in the good old United States...History tells us that trapping started out as a business enterprise and I wasn't present when they changed it to a sport...to me it's still a business and has to be ran like a business....some trappers believe that it is alright to spent $1000 today to harvest the raw material for a $2 billion dollar industry annualy.that'll only re-pay you $250. re-embursment....something ain't right here...it stinks worst than a thirty day old skunk carcassthat's be laying in the sun....I was on another chat board of trappers and they whipped me so bad for saying what I just said here...they whipped me so bad that someone must have opened up a new buggy whip factory out there in Missouri just to supply them with the whipping equipment...They hate other trapper who want money for trapping...go figure that one out...they are the pure bloods and if you don't do it for the "LOVE OF IT" then you are lower than a skum sucking bottom feeding crap...well I like crap...I'm a fisherman also...they pull hard for awhile...ain't much to eat but the are fun when nothing else is bitting....thanks for listening to a trap setting, Peta hating, want to change trapping for the betterment of all trappers, old Santa Clause lookin', locked in another time period, getting older by the day, outdoor loving , hunting/fishing/trapping, limb line running, jug fishin', taxidermist, old dude. Y'all have a good day

15. bowfoot

bowfoot New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I messed up here somehow, I wrote a reply and sent it and it disappeared ? can someone help mefind it and post it??

16. bowfoot

bowfoot New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I found It! it must take a little time to hit the page!thanks...bowfoot

17. catfish slick

catfish slick New Member

State:
    California
    Gosh Bettle, Put your hat back on I didn't recognize you. I am staying out of this one, as my knowledge stooped with the little box trap I made as a kid trying to catch a chipmonk. But it is very good reading.

18. bowfoot

bowfoot New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I use live traps...homemade box traps...and all kinds of so called leghold steel traps...except I don't do snares.....I use conibears where I can...I don't have the mind set, that trapping was a specific era thing that has lived it's life and is on the way out....not yet that is...near $2 billion dollars is not dead by a long shot...fur breeders/farmers control 65% to 85% of all fur sales in the world, they are breeding mink that are nearly 5 foot long .I see a light at the end of the tunnel and it just might be a train that will derail trapping for good....My thinking is there is strength in numbers....only problem with joining a "TRAPPERS CLUB" is they have lock their heels and their minds are as snapped shut to new thoughts...as a #3 coyote trap....I told my teenage daughter that my mind is like a steel trap....you know how these kids and there snappie come back are...she said...You're right dad and it's snapped shut and rusted.....dang young whipper snappers...I wonder where she got that mouth and brain from...must be from her mom's side of the family...I live in Tennessee near Center hill reservoir...Dale Hollow Lake...Cordal Hull Reseroir....we got fishing....went a few years back and fished with Phip King over near Savanna Tn....I love to limb line for cats...to me it's like trapping for fish....best flathead is a thirty pounder...I'll put a picture of it up if someone will walk me through the "HOW TO" do it.....I'm alot better outdoors man than I am at this computer stuff

19. fishhook

fishhook New Member

State:
    Willow Woo
    I trap, hunt and fish as well as a past public relations officer for a state trapping organization. If trapping was only about the money it would have died out a long time ago, its not, its a sport to be enjoyed just like hunting and fishing. Its also a tool for the game departmernts all over the U.S. to control predators that destroy small game and ground nesting foul like turkeys, ducks, quail, etc which are hunted by some of the same people that bad mouth trappers like the anti's do. All sportsmen whether, hunters, trappers or fishermen need to stick together to keep our sports alive. Trapping also keeps the eco system or the carrying capasity of a habitat in balance. The anti's are only 2% of the total U.S. population but they are vocal where sportsman are not, most sportsmen just don't want to get involved which is a big mistake because your sport may be attacked next.

20. Got1hooked

Got1hooked New Member

State:
    Missouri
    First off let me introduce myself. My name is Troy Crooks and I'm the Sect. for the Missouri Trapper Assoc. and a Mod. at the Missouri trappers Forum. This sight looks like a pretty good sight for a lot of differant info about the outdoors.

Secondly I would like to set the record straight , Bowfoot , nobody on that sight used a Buggy Whip on you. When people tried to have a conversation about this issue with you all you did was tell everybody how wrong they were for not agreeing with you. As was explained to you over there 95% of the people that trap do so as a recreation not many people try to make a living at it anymore. In any type of business the low man on the pole always receives the lowest income. That is what the trappers are the Low man on the pole. Now I'm in noway saying that trappers don't deserve more money , but there is only so much money to go around. From the local fur buyer up they all have to make a profit to stay in business so they can only pay what the market will allow them to pay and still make a profit to stay in business.
    As far as the Trapping Assoc. being a "Club" and not doing anything for trappers you are very sadly mistaken The local , State and National Assoc's. fight very hard for all trappers rights even you and people like you who refuse to join them to help in the fight instead all we get is badmouthed for doing so. Like I told you the last time the MTA fights dilagently for trapping rights in Mo. and also puts on trapping clinics thru out the state to bring young and new trapper into trapping and set up booths at everything from county fairs to hunting/fishing classics to school events to help educate the public about the benefits of trapping and wildlife managment and we do so with great results I might add.

The only "Whipping" you got at the Mo Trappers Forum you received was when you started badmouthing the administrator and the Modarators for not agreeing with your mindset and not forcing others to do so. You were informed then that it would not be tolarated. Then you said you know the members of the board would start personnaly attacking you now and you were informed by myself and another Mod. that , that would not be tolarated either and if they did they would suffer the wrath for doing so. I will however say I do not like the fact that you went to another forum and insinuated that we did so. Then you told me that you came here and everybody agreed with you here. Thats not what I'm seeing here you are getting pretty much the same replies here that you got there.

I've offered before and I'll offer again to have a civil conversation with you on this issue if your willing to listen to other people and not just tell everyone that your the only one thats right and everyone that disagree's with you is wrong. Until then I hope you have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year and find what it is in life your looking for , but I don't think it will be the outcome you want from this issue.