Im a river NOOB! HELP!!!!!!

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by TOFTTnet Kami, Jul 27, 2009.

1. TOFTTnet Kami

TOFTTnet Kami New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Alright guys, I aint gonna lie. I've been fishing in lakes most of my life. I got tired of dragging in guppies. I have tried the Missouri and Mississippi several times without results to this point. I have tried using skipjack, nightcrawlers, goldfish and have yet to pull in ANY fish (although I have lost some worms, so I guess I am getting some bites.) I don't care about quantity as much as quality (I want a freakin huge one!!!)

Unfortunately, I am pretty poor, so buying a boat is not an option, so I am restricted to fishing from the banks. (That being said, if anybody has a boat and wants to take me out, I would gladly accept and pitch in for gas bait, be a designated driver since I don't drink etc.

I have been driving up to North County (I live in High Ridge/Fenton). I have been out probably 8 times in the month of july with not a single fish. That far of a drive and not catching anything SUCKS!

I would love decent places to fish that are closer to me if anyone knows any.

I am using size 8 circle hooks rigged up with a one-line liter(?) with the bank sinkers(?)(I have 2's,3's,4's and 5's). I think that's right? I had some guy show me how to do it, like I said, I have never fished a river before. I am getting snagged a WHOLE lot and losing ALOT of tackle and as I have said I have not caught anything.

I have also been going fishing by myself alot, occasionally my mom's husband will go but I feel he is also getting frustrated not catching anything.

We were hoping someone could give advice/show us the ropes and go out with us. I have tried fishing early in the am (practically sunrise and pretty much until the sun goes down).

I am looking for any and all advice I can get, and maybe even a fishing buddy, and/or guide.

Places I have tried include weldon springs, the missouri hill home, columbia bottom(both the beach and kind of near the confluence). I am open to any and all ideas. Looking forward to suggestions.

I am planning on going out again this weekend, probably on Saturday 8-1-09.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2009
  2. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Hang around. Lots of good folks in your area and this site is LOADED with helpful information. Welcome to the BOC and keep fishin, you'll find em sooner or later.

3. TOFTTnet Kami

TOFTTnet Kami New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Thanks man. I will definitely be hanging around. Something is weird with the site though. I had to register twice?!? The first one didnt take. I had to re-register with the exact same information and it took it? I will be around, there is alot of good information on these forums. Hopefully I can get some useful stuff to use by Saturday so I can drag in a big one!! If anyone feels like getting out this Saturday, let me know. Like I said, I've pretty much been driving up to North County from Fenton, which is close to an hour drive. If someone has a boat or knows better spots within an hour, I am there! And if anyone has any tips that will catch me more fish and bigger fish, let me know!!

4. Manny

Manny New Member

State:
    Arnold, Mo
    These past few weeks have been tough for everyone, I will look you up in a few weeks and we will try to do better. I usually fish the George Winter Lake area in Fenton that time of year.

With the water low its getting tougher to get around in my prop boat and I dont feel comfortable on the bigger rivers yet. Dont give up, It will happen. I went all summer a few years ago before I caught a real fish.

Read everything you can about the fish your targeting. What it likes and dislikes. It spawning time and characteristics of the fish. Narrow everything down to better your chances.

5. jmanion8

jmanion8 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Well first of all, you started fishing at the wrong time. The bite is not too strong right now b/c they are just getting ready to come off of the spawn. They should really be heating up here in a few weeks. Like the old saying goes, "if you aren't getting snagged, you aren't fishing in a good hole." Sounds like your weights, hooks, and leader are all set to par, I don't ever use any weights under four ounces, and sometimes go up to six to eight if the current is strong.

What kind of equipment are you using? Strong poles with good reels and heavy line (40 pound test or above?) I'm from Missouri, but am living in Kansas for school so I don't know a whole lot about the river back that direction, so I'm sure somebody else will be able to help ya there, plenty of great guys and gals on here.

You'll get hooked into one eventually, just don't give up. It'll be SO worth it when you finally catch that first one, then you'll be the one that's hooked. :wink::smile2: Anyways, good luck and hope this helps some!

OH...and welcome to the BOC, don't be afraid to ask questions, but do try to search for some of the answers first by using the search button on the top right of the page. You'll love this place...we all do!

6. TOFTTnet Kami

TOFTTnet Kami New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Thanks for the kind words. I am very familiar with forums, so now worries. I won't be clogging this forum with stuff that has already been answered. Most of my poles are only 20lb test, I know that's light but considering I havent even hooked into anything yet, I am not reay to respool them yet. I just bought a 10' pinnacle fishbonz pole. I really like it. For other poles they are normal lake poles medium-heavy action. Not the greatest, but like I said until I get a bite, I'm not worried about upgrading. The second I get one that snaps the line, you can bet every pole will get respooled. I have the drag set pretty low, so that should help if I do lay ito something.

I am close to Georger Winter, but to be honest, unless you know some decent spots, I have NEVER done well there, nor seen anyone who has done well there. IF you know some spots, I am VERY welcomed to being proven wrong!!

I know I am new, and prolly a little crazy, but withe a life preserver, I'd get out there on a little boat with someone who knew what they were doing. (Of course it wouldnt be my boat, so all I'd have to worry about is staying in the boat ):smile2:.

But am defintiely up for the invitation to george winter if you know places. It beats driving an hour. Till then I guess I'll keep making the trek up to North County.

If anyone has any good bank spots where they usually hit and are decently accessible and not "over-fished" I would definitely be interested.

I am young (25 and mobile) but my mom's husband goes with me often and he is less mobile because of a motorcycle accident.(He can walk and climb a little bit), but some of the places I have been going by myself, I fear he may not be able to get to. If anyone wants to get together this weekend up on the MO or Mississippi let me know. Thanks again for all the kind comments guys.

I have also heard that the big ones typically bite better during the night. Is there a good place we can fish overnight from the bank where we won't get in trouble??

7. Manny

Manny New Member

State:
    Arnold, Mo
    I would love to prove you wrong about George Winter:wink:

But will have to wait till after the spawn is done. I am not aware of fishing spots for the bigger rivers from the bank, but I know they are there. It seems as though you are passing a lot of good water driving that far. But that is just my oppinion.

Use Google Earth to find areas and roads near you to the rivers you want to fish. Its a great tool !

8. Welder

Welder New Member

State:
    Missouri
    The fish are just commen out of the spawn on the MO now good. Water should be droppen out enough. Get out on the ends of the wing dikes if ya bank bound and toss a wad of worms, shad, small green sunfish, or one of my favs a 2x8 inch chunk of fresh bloody carp. The big cats should start holen up off the ends of the dikes where the currents meet. Its a good day time and night spot. Blues seem to hold deep in the day and cruise up river @ night on the sand bars and around the dikes. most the massive blues and flats I get come off the end of trial dikes and fishen the cut in a notched dike. I fish right in behind em it ant a numbers spot but it pays in good fish.

9. TOFTTnet Kami

TOFTTnet Kami New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I keep hearin cut up carp is good bait. Whats the best/easiest way to get a hold of some if you dont have a boat???? I know they just typically jump in a boat, that would be the easiest if I had a boat. I really don't wanna spend all day fishin for bait, ya know? Yeah I was out on the dike by the missouri hill home. I watched a guy pull out a really big one off a trotline. When he held it up it was as big as him. It was right where I was fishin. His response. "looks like I stole one from you!" He prolly woulda snapped my line but it still would have been cool to hook into him. I will be up there early Sat. morning, and prolly be there until someone kicks me out. Keep the tips coming, it cant hurt to have too much information!

As for george winter, definitely looking forward to you proving me wrong! I agree, does seem like I am wasting alot of good fishing water between here and North County, but if it means me dragging in the biggest fish I have ever caught, the drive is worth it. Do you know when the spawn should end on the meramec? Someone said it should be coming to an end on the mo and mississippi soon. Anyone know any good spots on the mississippi down this way? I know someone said that if you aint getting snagged you aren't fishing in the right spots, but does anyone have any tips for getting snagged less? Thanks again guys.

10. sjohn58

sjohn58 Guest

First Welcome to the BOC :wink:
    Next no one is a noob, I saw that use in computer gaming:cool2:

Like Troy said, they are just now coming off the beds, the bite will be better in the coming weeks:big_smile:

11. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Welcome to the BOC Michael.

12. TOFTTnet Kami

TOFTTnet Kami New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I am a typical 25 year old who used to spend alot of time on xbox live. Thats where I got it from :wink:. Thanks for the welcome guys. I am going out on Sat. early am, probably going back up north. Would love someone who knows what they are doing, and well even someone who doesn't. Its more fun to fish when not by yourself. Let meknow if anyone is interested.
    I could stay south too, if someone is going out and staying south. Just let me know!

13. JBrooks

JBrooks New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Welcome to the BoC.
    Everyone pretty much covered it all, but I just wanted to say that your changes of catching a big one will sky rocket once the sun goes down.

Lots of snags means lots of cover, which is a good thing. You just have to figure out where it starts and ends. Bank fishing on the river eventually turns expensive, at least for me. I lose tons of rigs until I learn my spot.

I was in your boat not too long ago, and since I've pushed myself to learn more about the sport, I have caught more and bigger fish. My weight average has definitely gone up!

Just keep at it, you'll eventually land one.

Keep in mind they're just getting off of the nest, too.

/ James

14. jimmykemper

jimmykemper New Member

State:
    Sturgeon, Misso
    check your privet messages. i sent you my number

15. TOFTTnet Kami

TOFTTnet Kami New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Reply, yeah I got it. Thanks man. Only problem is, that unless you are coming up this way, that is a helluva drive. I mean I am in warrrenton today and thats an hour. Columbia is still 74?? miles?!?!?!? So thats like a MINIMUM of a two hour drive. I really do appreciate the offer tho. Maybe I will make it out that way sometime. What river do you typically fish?

So, rather than start a new thread, I'd figure I would ask some more questions in here so I don't clutter the forums.

Weights:
    I have seen 3 different types.

1. the teardrop bank sinkers
    2. pyramid weights
    3. flat silverdollar like weights

I was wondering if any of these offer a distinct advantage over the other. I have read the pyramids are mainly for sand and such. I have read the flat ones may get snagged less?? Is there any truth to that?

I have stated before I use the circle 8 gamsutra hooks. Are these appropriate size and such?

The guy that taught me to tie my line for river fishing had me tie the weight on the bottom, go up from the weight from your elbow to the tip of your finger, then u double up the line from there tying about 5 knots a little over hand with apart. Then you take that loop, put it thru the hook eyelid and bring it back down over the top of the hook effectively making a "slipknot." Then he looped it around the hook a couple more times for added durability.

That was kinda hard to explain, I hope it was clear enough. I was just wondering if thats how everyone else does their's? Is there a better way to do it? I would love to hear it, or even SEE it. Thanks

Everyone says chances go up after Sundown, where are the best places to fish after sundown? (aka where you won't get thrown out, fined or arrested?!?!?)(As I stated before I am BANKBOUND) :sad2:

Last edited: Jul 28, 2009