im a newcomer

Discussion in 'Gateway Catfishing Club' started by slikk03, May 4, 2009.

1. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    im fim a flathead guy from central illinois im bank bound ill be down fishing around the luis and clark memreal, any tips on how far out i must be, also what are the odds of hooking a 30 40 pound blue fishing all day and all night, ,i use a 4 foot drop with 5 ounce weght, with fresh shad, is it good all along the chain of rocks canal for blues or should i be closer to the dam

2. SLIPKNOT

SLIPKNOT New Member

State:
    Alton,IL
    You might need more than 5 onces this time of year...The water is up and moving pretty good......

3. Mr. Foster

Mr. Foster New Member

State:
    Kansas
    alot of people cant tell you much without being there and see it. There are so many factors that come in play. Your head aint just for a hatrack,lol do some thinkun. Be the fish, Be the fish. Where would he be in you fishing area. Just keep narrowing it down and you will find them. This is a great learning experience. We have all been there, so your not alone. Goodluck my brother, may you start to haul them in, and you will. I saw you pic, keep up the good work bro.

4. theonecatfishbob

theonecatfishbob New Member

State:
    Wright City, Missouri
    Welcome aboard Jake. Just experiment. If they are there you will catch them.

5. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Welcome to the BOC. There are plenty of fish in the area you described. You just have to experiment until you find what works. All along the eastern bank at Chain of rocks are several area that hold Blue's. You'll find em my man.

6. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    thanks for the advice, i got some 8 0unce weights but man thats alot for a poll to handle, i wish the water would go down

7. theonecatfishbob

theonecatfishbob New Member

State:
    Wright City, Missouri
    Jake, there are places where 24 ounces barely keep your bait down.

8. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    And some GOOD places where 24 ounces are required :smile2::wink:

9. SLIPKNOT

SLIPKNOT New Member

State:
    Alton,IL
    What kind of poles are you using? Any MH rod should be able to handle a 8oz weight with eaze........

Cuz- 24 ounces? Who would fish with something that small..better go 30!!! hahaha:smile2:

10. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO

LMAO, do they make a mold for that? :smile2::wink:

11. FLOAT TRIP WILLIE

FLOAT TRIP WILLIE Active Member

State:
    St. Louis
    not really, but those canon balls for the down riggers work well...lol I got some at cabelas

12. tnvol

tnvol New Member

State:
    Clarksvill
    Might as well rig up with a brick chained to your leader. lol

13. FLOAT TRIP WILLIE

FLOAT TRIP WILLIE Active Member

State:
    St. Louis

nah, the brick is my anchor...

14. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Yup, Ol Floatrip is rumored to carry a half dozen anchors for those 'rare' times when he goes to floatin. LMFAO X 10 :smile2: :wink:

15. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    A brick, on average, weighs about 32 oz., so when needed, I could always tie on two of my 16 oz. bank sinkers.