I'm A Believer

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by kyredneck, May 15, 2008.

1. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Well, as usual, it took me long enough to even check something out; circle hooks.

I bought some 6/0 Eagle Claw Circle Sea hooks yesterday at Walmart and replaced several J hooks on my setlines using bluegills and I basically more than doubled my catch this morning. Blows my mind.

What's your favorite brand of circle hook? I keep reading good things about the gamatzu octopus hooks; are they better than the circle seas? I like these circle seas because they're offset.

2. tiny b

tiny b Active Member

State:
    TX
    I use 6/0 Eagle Claw but I did buy some Gamagatsu but have not tried them yet. Love them circle hooks!!

3. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    I like the 10/0 owners the best. Also like the 11/0 frenzy's.

4. Wabash River Bear

Wabash River Bear New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Gamakatsu makes octopus hooks and octopus circle hooks. They both have an offset hook tip but only the octopus circle is a circle, lol. The only problem I have with Gamakatsu is that you can only get the octopus up to 7/0 and the octopus circle up to 8/0, other than that, I use em and like em fine. For anything bigger I use Owner SSW circles, 9/0 and 10/0.

5. Hoosier_Catman

Hoosier_Catman New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Gamakatsu All The Way. 8/0 Circle Hooks if you're using bluegill for bait.

6. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    Check out Gene at WildWolf Products a BOC sponsor. Just click on my signature for the link.

7. Junior42

Junior42 New Member

State:
    Catlettsburg, KY
    I use team catfish double action hooks. It looks like a circle hook but you can use it as a circle or a J hook.

8. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Thanks, I will check them out. Sounds as if the sickles are good too. Are they a circle hook?

9. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    Just an addition but I have 10'0 Gama Octopus in my box.

pm me for info.

When no one is around to set the hook, there is NO better hook than a circle, specifically Gamakatsu Octopus Circle offset IMHO.

10. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Hehe, i can't help but wonder if Gamakatsu could be the most misspelled word on the BOC site.

Thanks Shawn, I probably will PM you.

11. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    Yes they are. I use them all the time now myself.

12. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    (showin my ignorance)

Would someone explain to me the reason/application for forward or backward slanted eyes vs straight ones?

13. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    My 2 favorites are Daiichi 7/0 circle chunk lights and 8/0 gamakatsu octopus circles. The wider the gap, the better it works in my opinion. Owner hooks also makes a circle real similar to the Gama 8/0 circle.