illinois snagging laws

Discussion in 'LOCAL ILLINOIS TALK' started by fat_fish55, Mar 26, 2006.

1. fat_fish55

fat_fish55 New Member

State:
    illinois
    I was snagging right below lock and dam 20 on the mississippi today right where a brother on here and others iv talked to there say they snag sometimes. well some guy came up to me and said have you seen any game wardens down here? i said no why? he then told me it was illegal to snag there. he said you have to be over 300 yards away from the dam.

please help me find the illinois laws. the fishing digest is confusing when it comes to snagging. can i snag there?

2. bondman

bondman New Member

State:
    Vandalia, IL
    here is some info that I hope might be useful.
    1. 2006 ILLINOIS FISHING INFORMATION.
    2 page 6 (snagging it list what you can snag and the season and where you are allowed to snag. within 300 yards downstream limit below all locks and dams of the mississippi river between IL and MO
    3 call Officer Wallace at 217-782-6431 and she will tell you from the face of the lock to 300 yards (within 300 yards)
    I hope this helps
    Bondman

3. fat_fish55

fat_fish55 New Member

State:
    illinois
    yep thanks for the infoi figured that was the lawi think he was just trying to scare us

4. Hannibal Mike

Hannibal Mike New Member

State:
    Hannibal, MO
    I hear the same thing from people, about the 300 yards. I read and reread the regulations a few years ago to make sure, but people will still tell you it is "below" instead of "within". Good Luck

5. Believer

Believer New Member

State:
    Greenwood, AR.
    I think some people just don't like snaggers. Oh well.

Eric