Illinois River

Discussion in 'ILLINOIS RIVERS TALK' started by George walker, Aug 14, 2008.

1. George walker

George walker New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Does anyone fish the Illinois river around the Peoria area for cats. I have a buddy that lives in Spring Bay, he has a ramp in his back yard, I thought about giving it a try, I'vr never fished the Illinois before.

2. Duckpoor

Duckpoor New Member

State:
    Illinois
    River fishing is all about finding fish and what they are eating at that moment.
    Not the easiest deal granted, in that so much changes day today ..heck hour to hour sometimes.

Locals are the best source and generally a bait and tackle close to where you want to be, can get you in the ball park.
    Tell them what you have for equipenmet what your comfort level for travel is and ask for a sugestion as to how to get you started..
    "Where they catching them and on what what" ???? will get ya the better part of nothing. (My experience)

Next a graph and a cast net will be very helpful .. Look for fishy breaks .. slack water that has a shelf or a run.. or fast water that rolles into a hole with a log or two. something that might target the fish.

Throw the cast net a bit and see whats living in the neighborhood. That might give you a clue as to what they are working on at that time.

It's a game and the good part is the more we do it the better we get at it.
    Good Luck and get after them.

R Green

3. George walker

George walker New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Thanks for the info, I may drive over and check local bait shops and take a good look around first.

4. TccaAl

TccaAl New Member

State:
    Illinois
    We fish the Illinois quite a bit during the summer and we also run a tournament once a month out of Pekin. Lately, we have been catching plenty of cats on channel breaks with shad and asian carp. Just have to find the size baits that they want that day. Seems that smaller has been better the last couple of weeks. I will be up in your area tonight and we'll see how it goes.

Good luck

5. The Catfish Stalker

The Catfish Stalker New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Small shad seem to work somewhat regularly. I caught an 8 or 9 pounder on the little finger (or smaller) sized shad. Just ran out of 'em and couldn't catch anymore or may have had a shot at a few more biggish ones.

6. TccaAl

TccaAl New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Define "biggish".

7. The Catfish Stalker

The Catfish Stalker New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I don't know, maybe 7-10 lb range.

Small = 0-2 lbs
    Decent = 2 lbs 1 oz - 5 lbs
    Medium = 5 lbs - 6 lbs 15 oz
    Biggish = 7 lbs - 10 lbs
    Big = 10 lbs 1 oz - 14 lbs
    XL = 14 lbs 1 oz - 20 lbs
    Damn Straight! = 20 lbs 1 oz - 30 lbs
    Phenomenal!! = 30 lbs 1 oz - 50 lbs
    It's a Monster!!! = 50 lbs 1 oz - 75 lbs
    Record Territory = 75 lbs 1 oz - 100 lbs
    Jaws = 100 lbs 1 oz +

8. FlatCatMan

FlatCatMan New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Good luck findng a local bait shot around Spring Bay. The best you can do there is go the the Village Inn for a tenderloin and hit up anybody that happens to fish around there for info. The ramp you are talking about should be right across the street from the tavern, if it's the one I am thinking about. If so, you will have no problems finding shad around there. As you are coming out to the hannel you will see hundreds of them jumoing in your wake. The best we have found is to use a tow behind shad net and you can fill one quickly. After you have your bait just look around in there for some structure. You will find the fish. They have been pretty hot and cold lately. You will catch a bunch one day and just a couple light hits the next. You will also have a lot of drum in the boat. The Spring Bay fire department is going to be running a catfish tourney on September 13th out of the East Peoria Boat Club. If you are interested in it or want to know more. Feel free to give me a call 309-251-7924. I will be a good day of fishing with money going to the winners and the FD so it's a win win.

9. Slick Skin

Slick Skin New Member

State:
    Charleston ILL.
    sound's like some good imformation....have you been catching any ?????I'v been on jury duty for 20 day's ...class "x" felony...can't wait to get back out there and try them...

10. George walker

George walker New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Thanks for the info, and I'll try one of those tenderloin's too!

11. kyleh

kyleh New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I toss my net a few times and catch shad for cats. Cut shad works great for me and has been easy to get the little ones lately. When I say little I mean 2 - 2 1/2 inches. They are everywhere and my buddy went out yesterday andwatched huge cats eating live shad on the surface "Mentioned it was a beautiful sight). This was in the Ottawa Pool, before Starv Rock.

I prefer to catch 3-5 inch shad.