Illinois River

Discussion in 'OKLAHOMA RIVERS TALK' started by whitney weese, Jun 21, 2008.

1. whitney weese

whitney weese New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    Has any one fished the Illinois River just north of the I-40 bridge in easter Oklahoma. I live in the are and fish the river all the time. but for trout and striper. yet i have never fished it for catfish. have thought of fishing the slew that runs off to the south just in side the mouth.

2. fox9988

fox9988 Member

State:
    Lincoln,NW Arkansas
    Name:
    Forrest
    I've jugg fished the mouth where it dumps into the AR River a few times.The first time we caught something like 11 in the first 30 min.,after that it slacked off.Been back a few other times without alot of luck.

3. Flintman

Flintman New Member

State:
    OKC, OKLA.
    I lived on the Illinois, where Flint Creek runs into it. We fished about 10 miles of the river. Caught a lot of eaters, very few biguns. But I have seen 25# and 30# caught there.
    We had a 25# flat head get caught in our watersupply pipe when we lived in Flintridge. What a mess thast was.

4. whitney weese

whitney weese New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    flintman thank you. im sorry but i was talking about below tenkiller dam.

5. dusty_allen

dusty_allen New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    seen a few people get some small ones from in there. Don't know how good they bite though!

6. tkishkape

tkishkape New Member

State:
    Gore, Okla
    The Lower Illinois is generally too cold for catfish. I do have some luck in the Arkansas just downstream of the mouth of the Illinois where the two rivers mix, cooling the river down in the summer.

Most locals fish the wide sandbar at the confluence of the rivers using cut shad... and do quite well. Folks visiting the area would do well to watch where the locals fish during the week. Most of us locals leave the river to the weekend visitors.

As a bonus, (if you would call it that) I frequently catch stripers, sauger and walleye there while catfishing with cut shad at night. :tounge_out: