Illinois River?

Discussion in 'ILLINOIS RIVERS TALK' started by Cat Man Joe, Mar 4, 2008.

1. Cat Man Joe

Cat Man Joe New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Anyone been out to the Illinois river lately? I fish the bank around Kampsville, or just down the road at Godar-diamond landing. Was thinking of hitting the river this weekend for a day. If anyone knows whats going on there that'd be great!

2. Midwest

Midwest New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I put in at Godar last sunday, the river was up pretty good and the current was very strong, couldn't even keep the boat anchored!

3. Cat Man Joe

Cat Man Joe New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Did you have any luck, Brian?

4. Midwest

Midwest New Member

State:
    Illinois
    No, I got my line wet a few times, when over by the mouth of macoupin and down close to the bridge and a few other holes, but never got a bite. It was really hard to keep the boat anchored, the river was really muddy and had a lot of trash in it too. I thought about trying it from the bank but didn't. If the river starts to drop and the water starts running out of the refuge it would probably be a good spot, but i'm not for sure if the gate was open to the refuge to let the water in or out or not.

5. Cat Man Joe

Cat Man Joe New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Well, I think I may try a little on Sunday. Supposed to be about 50*. I fish from the bank and I think I'll try right at the landing there somewhere. Did you think of hitting the back waters there from the bank? That may be an idea. Heck, I'll have to try there too. lol You're more than welcome to join if you'd like.

6. kevhead56

kevhead56 New Member

State:
    Greenfield, Il
    Hey Joe...Might want to rethink that. The river is a total mess. High water and enough trash to build a small town. But who knows...maybe you will miss the good day if you don't go.:wink:

7. Graywolf

Graywolf New Member

State:
    Peru, IL.
    I was in Ottawa today and the river is still high. I also went to Starve rock. They are digging the mud off the roads in the park; picnic tables are up against trees and the river is high. There are no beaches to be found yet, but some are launching boats. I didn't go to fish, I was just checking things out.

8. Cat Man Joe

Cat Man Joe New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Yeah, I didnt go last weekend. My daughter wanted to come over for the weekend. I would love to go somewhere this weekend though. I guess Ill wait a while to fish the river. Thanks for the info guys!

9. TccaJack

TccaJack New Member

State:
    Illinois
    was at the river this morning it is still way up dont let it get you down i would go anyway i will be fishing touney there sat mourning good luck

10. Cat Man Joe

Cat Man Joe New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I really dont know where I could fish from the bank though. I only know of a couple decent spots and I checked them out a couple weekends ago. HIGH. Good luck in your tourney!!

11. TccaAl

TccaAl New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Bank fishing the Illinois can be difficult mostly due to access. However, if you can find some rocks or rip rap with decent current on them you should have pretty good luck. With the river going up and down this year I would also try to find some small tributaries and check those out, they can be good too.

Good Luck and be safe.

12. Cat Man Joe

Cat Man Joe New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Youre right Al.I only know of a few spots worth fishing from the bank. I really need a boat. Thanks for the advice, my friend!