Illinois River

Discussion in 'ILLINOIS RIVERS TALK' started by H2O!, Jul 20, 2009.

1. H2O!

H2O! New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Are Blues in the Illinois River? If so, what sections of the river are they found?

2. boyd79

boyd79 New Member

State:
    illinois
    if there in there look for the fastest curent and the deepest spot. i fish at pekin and creve core. cought lots of big channels but never a blue. not too say there not in there. got sum skipjach this year hope i get a big blue. thats all i use in kentucky. dont no if it will work till i try.

3. backwoodsman68geric

backwoodsman68geric New Member

State:
    illinois
    Lagrange locks south of Beardstown have blues holding under them. West side at the end of the wall downstream side is a BIG scour hole, stretch's downstream quite a ways. If you anchor up there use half a cinder block etc with a 2 liter soda bottle float. If you have to go quick cut the rope on the boat side and you can recover your anchor line/rope. If that hole's taken theres alot of holes under the wickets 50-300 yards downstream. East bank has alot of 10-20lb flats in the shallows at night. Theres good fishing for alot of different fish all thru that area. Be careful, it can get hairy quick. Wear PFD's at all times. Stay out from under the wickets as logs etc can come over them. Biggest blue I personaly witnessed come outta there(and go back in) on rod and reel was just 3 years ago, 55lbs. We got there just as a guy was quitting that same day and he had 3 20lbers and a nice collection of 5-10lbers channels and blues he said he threw 2 bigger back. Asian carp can be bad there too. Cut shad or herring seem to be best, I have seen a few caught on Spam there too, big chunks/strips 8 to a can. Theres good bank fishing on the east side for any shore fisherpeople out there. Toms baitshop by the marina in beardstown can give you the local water conditions and bait hints etc.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2009
  4. apfd82

apfd82 New Member

State:
    illinois
    sounds like a really good spot i think i will also try there thanks

5. H2O!

H2O! New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Thanks for the information. I live about 2 1/2 hours away from the Illinois River but would like to try it once in a while. Saw it for the first time last weekend and was really impressed. I was up by Starved Rock and then followed it down to Peoria. Quite a bit bigger than the Wabash that I'm used to!

6. boyd79

boyd79 New Member

State:
    illinois
    i think the river is getting dug out in the peoria lake part, too make two sand bars.

7. H2O!

H2O! New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Thanks for the info. Chris. I wish they would dredge out the Wabash for us!

8. mongesf

mongesf New Member

State:
    Beardstown, Illinois

I'm definnitely going to give this a go. I live right in Beardstown, Is the access road off of Lock Road on 67? I'm stuck to the bank :confused2:

Thanks for the info:big_smile: