Illinois RIver

Discussion in 'ILLINOIS RIVERS TALK' started by jross1901, Jun 14, 2009.

1. jross1901

jross1901 New Member

State:
    IL
    trying to fish near peoria, chilli, or pekin.
    looking for flatheads, but will settle for some channel cat action.

never fished this area, or the river at all.

are these good areas for flatheads?????

any info or insight helps.
    where are some boats ramps????????/
    can i get bait form the river (shad and such)???????

thanks in advance.

safe fishing.

jross1901

2. gabby2

gabby2 New Member

State:
    illinois
    jross,chillicothe has a boat ramp that is easy to find.No shad yet it is to early.I catch alot of channel cats north of chillicothe.

Mike

3. dsmith_85

dsmith_85 New Member

State:
    illinois
    I am having alot of trouble finding shad. There is alot of good fishing in the illinois river. Good flathead in just about any log pile you can find. I have allways seen bigger fish comming from south of chilli in the tounaments. any good channel holes up stream?

4. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    i dont see how the carp are not killing the food chain there , id never fish there,lol but if you can get em go for it, i got flats all around me, no need to go to that filthy river, lol

5. Mwallice

Mwallice New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Are you gonna fish from the bank or have you got a boat? I usually fish at the Marshal County Conv. area with dip bait or night crawlers under a bobber. But the water level has been so high so far this year I haven't gone yet. If you have a good place to go, lemme know and perhaps I'll tag along. Thanks Mike W.

6. fishead69

fishead69 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    after spending several nights running trot lines and bank poles - i think the illinois river has seen better days , with all the asian carp trying to knock you outta the boat...much worse than it used to be just a few years ago...

7. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    yea its a crap hole, think about what the futer will hold for the waters, im afraid it will be a disaster, if they cant get something in their to like a virus that wipes them out,

8. stickusmc

stickusmc New Member

State:
    Glasford, Illinois
    in the pekin area go down stream to the mouth of the mackinaw river some nice flatheads there. havent made it to the river yet but have been slaying the channies in the back waters

9. recordbreakin1

recordbreakin1 New Member

State:
    texas
    ID ON'T KNOW ABOUT UP THERE BUT THE TRINITY IS FLOODED DOWN HERE.WENT LAST WEEK AND ITS ABOUT 15 TO 20 FT. OUT OF THE BANK.GOOD LUCK ANDF HOPE YOU FIND SOME GOOD PLACE TO FISH.

10. backwoodsman68geric

backwoodsman68geric New Member

State:
    illinois
    Ive fished the Illinois alot in the past. Been too high this year for us though. We're downstream of you. Beardstown etc. Should be flats anywhere you got find logpiles, jams etc. Have fished some up near Peoria, Herman etc. Theres some slate bottoms at Herman and Peoria that channel stack up on. Mornings were best for us. Shad etc are usually around the moored barge's. Good Luck

11. jross1901

jross1901 New Member

State:
    IL
    how are the water levels near pekin???

is it fishable and more importantly safe?????????/

12. stickusmc

stickusmc New Member

State:
    Glasford, Illinois
    the river is steadily falling lots of new log jams to fish. all in all i would say it is fairly safe ill let you know after this weekend :big_smile:

13. zac

zac New Member

State:
    peoria area illinois
    if you have a boat id recommend going by the lock and dam in Peoria or if you don't have a boat i would recommend mendenhall road boat ramp on the beach

14. Johnny B

Johnny B New Member

State:
    illinois
    I live in La Salle county and the shad are nowhere to be found here as well so I resorted to use cut bait from carp...It works great for all catfish! Goodluck:wink: