Illinois river Ottawa pool

Discussion in 'ILLINOIS RIVERS TALK' started by catfishingRon, Mar 21, 2006.

1. catfishingRon

catfishingRon New Member

State:
    Earlville, IL
    Hello all, Im new to the board here and love to fish for catfish. I live by Ottawa Illinois and fish the river there alot. Im wondering if there are anybody else that fishes the area and would like to get together for some catfishing. I have some luck on the river but could use some help in the early spring.

:grin-big: Its nice to meet you all.

2. bondman

bondman New Member

State:
    Vandalia, IL
    welcome to the best site on the web.
    Bondman

3. Huetter2000

Huetter2000 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    hello this is my 2nd post here. I am a regular catfisher of ottawa and would like to know of any more spots. i found some that produce 10lbs in late summer but would like to find some in early spring and summer

4. Rat

Rat New Member

State:
    Forrest Illinoi
    There's another member real close to you two fellas. I sent him a PM pointing out this thread in case he misses it. I'm pretty sure he can help you out. I've met him and he's a heck of a nice guy. Dgde4x4man is his user name. Hopefully he'll get up with you shortly.
    Rat

5. dgde4x4man

dgde4x4man New Member

State:
    La Moille, Illinois
    (Poof!) The naked fat man has arrived my brothers! LOL. Anytime you wanna hook up just let me know. My fishing time this year is gonna be pretty limited but I will always make time for a fellow brother or at least point ya to a few spots.

6. catfishingRon

catfishingRon New Member

State:
    Earlville, IL
    Ill let you guys know when I head out. I dont have much luck this time of the year finding them , buy I try. I am self employed and run a gutter company so this time of the year is a little slow, and I get out a little more. I make time to get out in the fall.

7. Graywolf

Graywolf New Member

State:
    Peru, IL.
    Ron, welcome to the board. I live in Marseilles and my buddie and I fish the Ottawa pool all the time. Maybe we can get together sometime. We do pretty good there most times. Just let me know.

8. gebs

gebs New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Ron,

Welcome. I'm new here as well, but fish the Fox between Dayton and the IL as well as the IL around Ottawa. I like fishing just below the Dayton Dam. Lots of good holes. My favorite though is the Fox above Dayton.

BTW, I live in Sandwich and need a little gutter work done. PM me so we can talk.

9. catfishingRon

catfishingRon New Member

State:
    Earlville, IL
    Ok guys, this is going to take some thinking. The boys and I are trying to start a fire with two sticks. It isnt working that well for us now. We are useing a bow/string method. We are using an oak stick and a peice of cedar for the base.

Can anyone give me any ideas to make this work.

I know your thinking, what does this have to do with cat fishing? Well, if Im out cat fishing and run out of gas and its cold out, Ill need to start a fire to stay warm and cook the dozen fish I caught in an half an hour. One might say, call for help with the cell! At this point I would have gotten really piss@d off and thru the cell because I ran out of gas, leaving myself stranded.

Ron

10. astutzman

astutzman New Member

State:
    Collinsville, IL
    Your'e approaching this from the wrong direction.. You've gotta short circuit the boat battery and use the spark to light your tinder. If the battery doesn't explode, then you'll make some fire. Then again if the battery does explode, you might still make a fire. It's a win-win situation either way. :)

11. elmer

elmer New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Sorry for the Late reply...

First a big ole hidey hoe and Welcome to the board:0a25:

I live in Ottawa and have spent a LOT of time fishing the Illinois and lower Fox there. I fished them from April into November. The cats can be caught pretty much year round here, just takes a bit of chasin.

As you probably know the pool levels and water flow are controlled to differing extents by 3 dams within its 7 smile stretch. Water is CONSTANTLY changing in that pool. (Except for last year when for the majority of the year the water was all but still)

With that low slow water of last year came 3...THREE seperate shad hatches. LOTS O baby shad, and lots of not so hungry catfish, means stuff like stink bait, livers, hotdogs and other not so 'natural' baits.......STAY HOME.

Cut shad, shad guts, shad heads,whole shad..... ALL will catch spring time cats much better and more consistanly than ANY other bait. The fish can be and often are VERY finicky. One piece of the shad USUALLY works better than any other. Its YOUR job to find which they prefer at the particular time you are out there.

Locations?

There are literally HUNDREDS of areas that will hold spring time cats. Some of those areas will year after year, stack fish up in them.

That J O B thing will have me spending less time on the water this year than previous years, but I often have a spare seat or 3 in my boat. I will let you know next time I head out............ If you and the boys or you alone would like to join me sometime for some Fishin.

MEANWHILE.........

Are you fishing from shore?
    Boat?

Let me know which, and maybe I can help get you guys going in the right direction to help you and the boys GIT SOME!

12. catfishingRon

catfishingRon New Member

State:
    Earlville, IL
    Elmer,
    Thanks for the reply and info on the river. My biggest problem is locating them in the early spring. My usual spots dont work well this time of the year. I did manage to find one spot last friday. It seemed to be a productive spot (5 cats). I usually fish down river by Buffalo rock, but Im going to start fishing up by the Marsellies Dam. I hate going up there in the summer because of all the idiot and jet skis and 100mph boats.
    Anyway I fish from 16' Lowe sea nymth that is blue in color. I am usually out most weekends and a few times during the week if I can make it in the summer.

13. gebs

gebs New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I hear ya. That's the reason I stay off the IL, or if I do go on the IL that I jump up the Fox where the traffic is much lower. I almost got sunk 3 years ago on the IL, scared the HELL out of me. After that I vowed I would never go back on that water on nice weekends again. A 14' tri-hull vs. a 28' pleasure boat is not a fair fight.

14. Graywolf

Graywolf New Member

State:
    Peru, IL.
    It seems weird to me that the Ottawa pool is the smallest pool on the river and everyone comes here. There is more river above the Marseilles dam and under LaSalle dam the next dam is Peoria but yet on the week ends the Ottawa pool is full. That is why when I had a boat I never went on the week ends. I understand people work and only have the weekend off and go then. I also understand the DNR is cracking down on drunken boaters among other things. It's about time. The weekend is just to dangerous.

15. elmer

elmer New Member

State:
    Illinois
    If you guys think the Ottawa Pool is crowded now, hang on to your lifevests....its about to get MUCH worse.

Currently there are 900 plus NEW boat slips, by 3 seperate entities being proposed for that pool.Together with the boat slips already in place and the weekend put em in and take em out boaters, we will be able to line up the boats in this pool end to end, and literally walk from one boat to the next from dam to dam, and back 1/4 of the same distance.

Ron,

I was out for the first time this year for a few hours Sunday. Between two of us we got 16-17 fish from 2 pounds up to 7. No real monsters, but than again if you fish this pool enough you know that a true "trophy" size channel, is in the 10 pound range.

The bite was very light, and we lost manyfish after a brief fight. Especially in the faster water. The ones that did make it to the boat were all just barely whisker hooked.

The fish are still scattered a bit and we caught fish everywhere we stopped. From 12-18 inches of FAST water, to 12 feet of slower moving water. Shad GUT, or gut pockets produced all the fish.

I have GPS and marked several spots for you with it. If you have a gps unit, let me know and I'll get get the spots to you. If not, In the next few days I will begin working on a GPS aided map of sorts that will help you get on some spring time cats in the pool.

Heres a pic of the first fish we boated this year

http://www.fotoguy.addr.com/40906/DSCN0003s.jpg