Illinois River - Low Water Level

Discussion in 'ILLINOIS RIVERS TALK' started by IL Hunter, May 26, 2006.

1. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    Anyone know why the Illinois River is so low right now. The area that fish is pushing 5' and that is really really low. It never gets extremely deep, but I'm afraid that is really going to throw off the fishing this weekend.

2. Driver

Driver New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Running low?

It is about 3 - 5 feet over flat pool and rising above the LaGrange Lock and Dam. LaGrange raised their wickets (but pulled their tainter) and that is backing the water up slowly all the way to the Peoria Lock and Dam (wickets also up and running 6' of tainter). When I crossed over the Shade/Lhoman, it wasn't below the dam, but it was far from the lowest I have seen. Besides, with it low, there is less water for them cats to hide in. :big_smile:

3. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    Well Lagrange isn't too far north of where I fish at all. It just seems like they bite less when the water is extremely low. Hopefully this warm weather will change that.

4. Gringoloco

Gringoloco Member

State:
    Ft. Belvoir, VA
    Name:
    Josh
    The Kaskaskia river that I fish is low as well, I would say around 4ft. So I dont know what is going on.

5. Graywolf

Graywolf New Member

State:
    Peru, IL.
    I fish the Ottawa pool most times. I also watch the dam (on the computer) output at Marseilles. Today they are releasing 3,000 cu. ft./sec. which is pretty good. I have noticed when they are not letting much water through the dam the bite slacks off. It seems the more current the better. jmo

6. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    Well I got out and fished. The river as extremely low, but the bite was still good. I have a feeling that it would have been even better if the river was up a little bit more. A lot of the brush piles were totally out of the water.