Illinois River, help me!!!

Discussion in 'ILLINOIS RIVERS TALK' started by Cat Man Joe, Jul 22, 2007.

1. Cat Man Joe

Cat Man Joe New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I took the wife and kids out to the river today at Kampsville from about 5 till 12:30 or so. Had great luck getting some shad about the time the sun started to go down but we only ended up with one cat {about 3 or 4 pounds} and one Gar. It was the first time weve ever fished the river and I need some help. I caught the cat while it was still bright out. Didnt have another run from cats all night. The gar are a pain in the butt to say the least. Stealing our bait. We fished shad on the bottom, if we used bobbers they would just end up back at the bank in about 10 minutes. Gar remind me of bullheads in a lake, the one I caught tonight was the first one Ive ever caught. Do cats come around while gar are in the area or the other way around? I dont know so I figured Id ask you guys. Was fishing the bottom the wrong or right thing to do? We ended up crossing the river and trying a different spot but that didnt seem to help with the gar. Also, we wnt fishing last night at a lake near our house and didnt have much luck either. I fished with cut shad and gills and my wife used Sonnys and she caught two channel to my zip! Its been chilly the last couple nights, could that have something to do with the lack of cat activity the last couple nights? Any help you all can give would be greatly appreciated. I want to fish the river again, I know ill try it soon. Thanks everyone!!

2. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    when i see gar activity, i expect no cat activity. Especially with shad.

3. stickusmc

stickusmc New Member

State:
    Glasford, Illinois
    i went out to the river yesterday by banner... not bad caught a couple of eater size channels using the magic bait stuff i won. the river was up mud and moving pretty fast so i was getting a lot of debris and crap in the current

4. undys2

undys2 New Member

State:
    illinois
    I use stink bait almost all the time, I never catch anything but cat when using stink bait. I like sony's the best with Doc's dipping worms.

5. Cat Man Joe

Cat Man Joe New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Thanks for the help guys. I was wondering if the cats would come around or not. I figured "not" after the day we had yesterday but like I said Ive never fished the river so I had to ask. How long do you think the gar will be in? I know its probably hard to say but is it a daily thing or what? I was thinking of going to the same spot today but its a long drive if Im only gonna feed the gar. Thanks again guys!!

6. Rusty

Rusty Member

State:
    Spickard Missouri
    I don't know anything about where you are fishing but anywhere I fish you have got to get out of that dead water. Get out in the current. The gars love the dead water and the cats like the current. You will have trouble with gars as long as the water is warm. Once the water cools off they will slow down the bite. Then you can fish them deep spots Hope this helps. Good luck

7. ldw45

ldw45 Member

State:
    Illinois
    Don't know how far you might be from there but Years ago I fished the Meredosia area of the Illinois. A friend had access to the land around the power plant discharge. We never caught large fish but it was a great place to catch the eater cats.

8. Cat Man Joe

Cat Man Joe New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Ive thought about trying Dosh Dean, I have a daughter that lives there. I also know a guy at work that lives in Beardstown. He says he knows a few spots on the river so I think maybe we may try it out sometime if he wants to show me. Thanks for the ideas.

9. kevhead56

kevhead56 New Member

State:
    Greenfield, Il
    Cat Man Joe...Son and I fished 07-30-07 south of Kampsville. 2 channel, 4 blues. 23# 14 oz. in 4 and 3/4 hours. 1 perch and no gar.
    great Night!!!!!!!!!! Used only shad.

10. Cat Man Joe

Cat Man Joe New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Good job Kevin!! You said south of Kampsville? Godar/diamond or around there? I think were gonna try it again this weekend, hopefully we'll have good luck too!! Thanks for the update I knew they'd start biting again soon.

11. mongesf

mongesf New Member

State:
    Beardstown, Illinois
    I'm from Beardstown and will be hitting the river in the morning around 5:30, I'll let you know how we do

12. Cat Man Joe

Cat Man Joe New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Good luck to you Shawn!!

I havent forgot about you either, just been really busy. We're gonna have to hit those cats sometime.

13. mongesf

mongesf New Member

State:
    Beardstown, Illinois
    well, we hit the river around 5:30 am and were back at 10:00; only caught 4 all on Sonny's and Hoss's Hawg bait. Lots of hits, but I thnk they were mostly little fiddlers. I have had more luck at Praire Lake at Jim Edgar Panther Creek - State Fish & Wildlife Area . Been fishing the left side of the docks using shrimp under a bobber set at about 4 foot. Have been getting my limit almost every time I go out there; they usually start hitting after dark.

14. Cat Man Joe

Cat Man Joe New Member

State:
    Illinois
    You did better than I did this weekend Shawn. We fished the Illinois for about 6 hours Sat. night with only two bites, no catches, and I fished the Miss. with my father-in-law for a couple hours today from a boat and we only caught one. Bites just not on in the rivers right now. Its hot and the waters dropping, I guess it'll pick up in a little while. Hopefully.