Illinois River - Catfish Are On

Discussion in 'ILLINOIS RIVERS TALK' started by John(Bullhead)Hagen, Jun 16, 2007.

1. John(Bullhead)Hagen

John(Bullhead)Hagen New Member

State:
    ILLinois
    :big_smile: The bite is on.The IL river is giving up at least 80 to 100 pounds of eaters anywhere from 5 pounds to 10 pounds every time last week.We are on the channel lip and on the chanel throwing up to the mud flat that is 4 foot deep.Cant keep them off,using chubs and shrimp.Get out there and get some.

2. mongesf

mongesf New Member

State:
    Beardstown, Illinois
    hey welcome to the BOC. What part of the IL river are you fishing? I live in Beardstown and am stuck to the bank. Thanks!!:cool2:

3. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Thanks John for sharing that info. with the BOC. Good to know, and enjoy those good days.:lol::smile2:

4. ILChannelMan

ILChannelMan New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Where at on the IL? Can u do well from the bank, or do you need a boat? Cuz I can use my grandpa's Bass Raider, but it would prolly tip with a big Cat.

5. stickusmc

stickusmc New Member

State:
    Glasford, Illinois
    ive been fishing below glasford behind banner marsh from the levee. catching nothing but drum gar and real small ones

6. John(Bullhead)Hagen

State:
    ILLinois
    :smile2:You can do just as well from the bank, if you have had the opertunity to see were the channel is compared to the bank.You need to look at the river and fish the inside bend were the river channel comes toward the bank.I fish above Peoria at the river across from Gardener Lane apartments on route 29.Stick you are close to good fishing but need to move down river past Banner but before you get to Liverpool,you will see a road that goes back to a blue building that was a coal dock for CILCO.There is a rock levee for two miles fish half way down all the way to start.Hope you get some.A boat makes it easier but only to find them,not to catch them.PS you ned 3oz no roll sinkers to hold the bottom. John

7. alton

alton New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Welcome to the BOC from Alton, IL. Good luck and thanks for the info.

8. John(Bullhead)Hagen

State:
    ILLinois
    :smile2:The river is up some and we did OK but had to work at it Saturday night.Went North out of Chilicothe and fished were the creeks were coming in to the river.Bigest one was ten pounds and we fished 5 hours and four spots to get what we did.60 pounds rough fish on shad shrimp and suckers,all channel cats.Missed the weekend of june16 because wifes birthday,but will be out on the river again this weekend.So you know we use a didgital scale and weigh each one before we put them back,and total at the dock.we do this if we allready have enough for a few fish frys in the freezer.Good Fishing(John Ole Bullhead Hagen)

9. stickusmc

stickusmc New Member

State:
    Glasford, Illinois
    took friday off this week so i will be camping on the river and try my luck with shad bluegil shrimp and stink bait hopefully i will have a good report and maybe some pics

10. stickusmc

stickusmc New Member

State:
    Glasford, Illinois
    well its 2 am just got back from the river only caught 3 channies biggest was about 12 inches the other 2 were big enough to put in an aquaruim. again caught a bunch of gar and drum. was using creek chubs night crawlers sonnys hoss's and baby shad. thinking i need to find a different spot on the river. spent a good 6 hoursout there. hope everyone has better luck