Illinois noodling

Discussion in 'LOCAL ILLINOIS TALK' started by YeeHaw, Feb 23, 2006.

1. YeeHaw

YeeHaw New Member

State:
    Quincy Illinois
    Is it Illeagle to noodle in IL?

2. Shawn

Shawn New Member

State:
    Illinois
    there used to be some guys near Shelbyville who noodled. I don't know if it's legal or not though.

FlyingPig might even know the guys...these were the second generation of some long time noodlers

shawn

3. bearcat

bearcat Member

State:
    Nokomis, Illinois
    As far as I know it is illegal. It seems like alot of people dont care and do it any way. You would need to check with the IDNR to make sure. If it isnt illegal it should be. Grabing catfish off the nest will lead to all the fry or eggs being destroyed. It is the best way to eliminate the catfish population of a creek or river. JMHO

4. squirtspop

squirtspop New Member

State:
    Glencoe, Arkansas
    There was a couple of guys that worked at Caterpillar with me and they noodled in the Spoon River all the time. Even had barrels in the river to coax the fish in. Never did hear if it was legal or not tho.

They were always coming in to work with their forearms chewed all up.

5. YeeHaw

YeeHaw New Member

State:
    Quincy Illinois
    Well that's got ta suck

6. JimF

JimF New Member

State:
    IL
    Bearcat Thats what I keep telling people. It is against the law in IL. Don't do it.

7. wendell

wendell New Member

State:
    illinois
    Sure it is legal in Il. Call this number 217-782-6431 ask for duty officer. 10 or 15 years ago some people got all upset about hogging or noodling as some call it. But it is legal all you need is a fishing license.I am going to teach a couple of young guys this summer how to do it.

8. Puddycat

Puddycat New Member

State:
    Clarksville,TN
    I think we all know that in some cases how slow the state is to mandate certain conservation and wildlife protection laws. Noodling is a prime example of where conservation ethics and common sense should supercede the law. I'm on board with Bearcat all the way on this issue.

9. Flyingpig

Flyingpig New Member

State:
    Lakewood, Illinois
    Here is what it shows on the compiled statues for Illinois.
    (515 ILCS 5/10‑95) (from Ch. 56, par. 10‑95)
    Sec. 10‑95. Number of hooks; untagged devices. Any individual possessing a valid sport fishing license may take aquatic life by hand, or may use pole and line, bank pole and line, throw line, trotline, buoyed ganging devices, or other legal devices not exceeding 50 hooks in the aggregate, however, any individual at any one time is allowed to use under his or her immediate control only 2 untagged sport fishing devices and any additional devices up to the aggregate of 50 hooks must be tagged with his or her name and mailing address.

I use to run with some guys that did it on the Kaskaskia around Shelbyville, but have got to old and fat to be doing it now. Prefer the lawn chair method nowadays.

10. catman872

catman872 Member

State:
    missouri
    yeehaw its legal in missouri, just do it on my side of the river

11. Doyle

Doyle New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I would think that getting into the water and wrestling with a big old catfish and trying to get him out of his domain and into a skillet is being a real sportsman. I for sure don’t see anything wrong with it. I sure wouldn’t do it but it seem more sporting than a big hook and hundred pound line.

12. coalminer78

coalminer78 New Member

State:
    Lincoln, IL
    I agree with bearcat I want to try but never had. After bearcat post I don't think I will try it. Thanks for the info bearcat.

13. Believer

Believer New Member

State:
    Greenwood, AR.
    I find it very intriguing, but probably would never try it. LOL

Eric

14. wendell

wendell New Member

State:
    illinois
    Did you Il. guys catch the article in the lincoln courier and the bloomington paper.A young 19 year old college kid was hogging cat fish last oct. in kickapoo creek.He felt something too smooth to be a log.It was a 10 foot long piece of tusk from some animal.They said the tusk would of been 12 foot long but 2 foot was broken off.In a follow up article a few weeks ago they said they found a skull or part of a skull this winter. I have found some strange things while hogging fish but nothing like this.

15. mech2006

mech2006 New Member

State:
    Silex, MO
    Old post, but does anyone in the IL, STL metro area noodle?

16. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I have never known noodling not to be legal in Oklahoma. I do believe it should not be allowed during the spawn, but at any other time, let them rip. Here, the only thing you can use is your hands. No rope with a hook, no long pole with a hook or wire, no forked stick. Just bare hands. Anything else in your possession which conceivable could be used to catch a fish automatically makes you guilty of violating the law. I don't know that noodling has decimated our population of catfish, as we don't seem to have many large ones except in the eastern third of the state and Texhoma. I just have to take issue with those who say to ban the sport. Just because it is not their cup of tea does not mean it should be illegal. Like stated, I see more wrong with using 50 or above test line than I do in catching fish with the bare hands. But its your right to use the outlandish test line for those 20 pound fish.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2009