Illinois Ice Fishing

Discussion in 'LOCAL ILLINOIS TALK' started by screen, Dec 21, 2005.

1. screen

screen New Member

State:
    Sterling, Illinois
    OK everyone! The boat has been winterized and you halled all your gear to the basement in hopes sometime this winter you might work on getting everything restocked and rework those rods and reels to get ready for spring!

Tell us (you diehards) about your ice fishing!!!

I havn't been out for years but I will this winter - you see my new son-in-law and daughter just bought a house from a guy who moved south - far south!
    When they moved in to their supprise in the basement they found he had left a very nice (VERRRRRY NICEEEEEEEE) two man ice fishing hut, LP space heater, 1 bucket with about 7 rods and reels, another bucket with ice auger, scoop and all kinds of misc. stuff, and a divider box full of lures - The jackpot!
    Maybe I won't be a grumpy old man this winter!

2. astutzman

astutzman New Member

State:
    Collinsville, IL
    Sounds like you got a nice haul there screen.

Can you catch cats through the ice? i've heard stories of old river rats who'd do it up north where the big rivers froze over in the olden days. don't know if they're just tall tales or if there's some truth to it.

3. bankpoleken

bankpoleken New Member

State:
    Mattoon, Illinois
    Hey Screen - who was that guy that moved and left all the ice equipment in his basement? It wasn't Santa Claus by chance was it??

Astutzman - I have caught a lot of channels through the ice while fishing for bluegill and crappie. One day while fishing a farm pond, I had my line broken twice before switching to heavier line. I then caught 6 channels weighing from five to seven pounds.

4. Rainman4u2

Rainman4u2 Guest

Nice haul Screen!!! I hope you enjoy that ice while Poor old Schoe is in Florida :cursing: :cursing:

Ray

5. screen

screen New Member

State:
    Sterling, Illinois
    You had to bring that up Ray!

My wife say's I have to wear my life jacket, take a long rope an tie one end to a tree and the other end to me and have ice spikes in my pocket -

I don't remember his name but I don't think it was Clause!

I have gotten eating size channels - never got anything very big in winter!

You know the best time ice fishing has always been when your comfortable and you have good food and someone that has the same interests as you do - then it gets spread pretty thick!

6. joesf

joesf New Member

State:
    Bloomington IL
    A good walking stick to test the ice as you go would be better than the rope. lol
    Once your in the water you don't have long to get out before hypothermia set's in.

7. bankpoleken

bankpoleken New Member

State:
    Mattoon, Illinois
    I saw a very informative program on TV a week or so ago on how to go about saing yourself if you break through the ice. Did anyone else view this program. I think it was a college professor who is doing research on hypothermia. He intentionally broke through the ice to demonstrate his precedures. He said before trying to lift yourself out, which is very difficult, to kick your feet and get yourself into a horizontal position before trying to pull yourself out. He said once you get out, roll on the ice away from the hole for several yards to spread your weight out more. He also added that if you can't get out pull your upper torso up as high on the ice as you can and then spread your arms out across the ice. He said there have been cases where the person passed out from hypothermia, but did not sink back into the hole because his arms had frozen to the ice and he was found before he died.

8. bearcat

bearcat Member

State:
    Nokomis, Illinois
    Hey Screen good luck. The water down this way isnt hard enough to ice fish on yet.

I like the gills through the ice. They seem to taste better.