Illinois Conservation Police

Discussion in 'LOCAL ILLINOIS TALK' started by 40 Pound Club, Jun 25, 2006.

1. 40 Pound Club

40 Pound Club New Member

State:
    Illinois
    How do you view your local conservation officer??

2. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    I know that I am not from Illinois but, The way I look at it, These guys are doing a thankless job. I don't see where anyone should have a problem with them as long as you are playing by the rules. Sure there are a few out there that take their job (shall we say) with a certain amount of exuberance, LOL!!! But that is like with any other job. I have to tip my hat to these guys cause it takes a special type of person to walk up to a total stranger and not know what he is walking into.

3. fishinpals

fishinpals New Member

State:
    Virginia, Illinois
    We live next to JEPCSF&WA and have nany conservation officers around. Some are in training and they can be a little annoying at times but for the regulars they are ok. One is also an undercover officer who saye even though he has been in this area for years a pair of sun glasses and ball cap most people don't know who he is. He just busted a group that was stealing moters and other equipment.

4. SilverCross

SilverCross New Member

State:
    Fairbury, Illin
    I don't even know who ours is anymore. Never see them around, guess they know the old fella is ok, hahaha, got them fooled. They have one of the most dangerous jobs around though. When hunting season is in everybody has a weapon and you never know what thier intentions are when they walk up. As for being on here, I have found out that most fishermen tote weapons also. I always felt I was probably one of the few now just feel like I am one of the group. I think through my life I have only been checked once on the bank and once in a boat, that isn't bad for a 61 year old.

5. Bigdan99

Bigdan99 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    they don't seem to bother me, but they are going out and doing their job like everyone else, but I do agree it takes a special person to walk up to someone who may have a loaded gun. Yeah, they got a bullet proof vest one but it sure ain't full body armor.

6. catfishkatmando

catfishkatmando New Member

State:
    Salem, WV.
    When the Game Warden shows up at he local trout lake its like someone kicked an ant pile or something,people running every where. Now I attempt to observe all fish and game laws but if I decided I was going to be a poacher I sure wouldn't stand up in front of everyone and violate al the rules , I mean where do these guys get of doing bad stuff in front of me. Game wardens have a very tuff and thankles job. If you don't believe thewidows of the 2 wardens Claude Dallas killed 20 yrs ago ( he is out now by the way) I for one say THANKS>

7. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    Haven't got a thing against them . They are only doing thier JOB just like POLICE OFFICIER ,SEC.OFFICIERS or Correction OFFICIERS. They all have a job that is dangerous ,unrewarding and one that most people don't want. They never know what they are going to incounter when out in the field. I SALUTE THEM !!

8. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    FINE FOLKS! Don't have a thing against them just doing there job, Just as long as they don't come snooping around My Still! L.O.Lo. Bigcatman0816.:cool2:

9. btmfdr

btmfdr New Member

State:
    missouri
    never had a problem with a conservation officer in illinois or missouri. everyone of them has approached me with respect and i return that favor.
    but the park rangers can be pests sometimes, almost like they just want to feel like their earning their money, but for the most part they are alright too. never had either of them treat me like the st louis county police(county not metro) it seems that every time i get pulled over they want to rip apart my vehicle before they send me on my way, and what really gets me is 90% of the time the wont even give me a ticket, so i guess theyre out just to pillage and plunder. the ones around here in the city wont even turn their head to look at me, so i dont get what the deal is in the county.
    i just wish they could be respectful like their game and fish counterparts.

10. dreamer34

dreamer34 New Member

State:
    danville virginia
    there people doing their job and i respect them greatly for it

11. bankpoleken

bankpoleken New Member

State:
    Mattoon, Illinois
    I view him up close and personal. I eat holiday dinners with him, fish and hunt with him and my grandkids call him "Dad." He and my daughter started dating when they were sophomores in high school. I couldn't be more proud of her choice for a husband and father. He and the other conservation police officers I know put in long hours, work in weather conditions I wouldn't think of being out in, confront lawbreakers who are usually armed with the nearest backup often many miles away, and demonstrate courtesy to people who do not always reciprocate in like manner. I have been hunting and fishing for 60 years and have heard numerous hunters and fisherman bad mouth our conservation police officers. I always ask them "Were you guilty of the violations you were arrested for?" Their answer is usually "Yea - but!!!!!"
    I would like to inquire of the three duck hunters who spent hours in the chilled waters of Rend Lake when my son-in-law and a state trooper braved the high winds and white caps at nightfall to rescue them how they feel about CPO's and state troopers.

12. Redtick

Redtick New Member

State:
    Neoga, Illinois
    There may be a local officer that reads this board and I know he reads the crappie board you post on, Ken. I am an avid hunter and fisherman and I get along well with all of the conservation officers. As it was said, they have a thankless job.
    Ken, doess your son-in-law work locally?

13. shortshank

shortshank New Member

State:
    Oregon
    I've never had "trouble" with a game/fishery inforcement officer, but I did get a ticket once about 15 years ago. I was fishing on the Miss. between happy rock (Gladstone) and Keithburg. My son was playing basketball in a 3 on 3 tournement and he borrowed my whistle for the ref. Mother and I went out in our 16ft. john boat and anchored just out of the channel close to one of the islands. We had caught several channel cats and had two we kept in the live well. After about 45min. a boat, I thought it was a ski boat, rolled right up along side us. The officer asked for our licenses, we gave them to him. He asked about our registration, I showed it to him. He asked about our life jackets, we showed them to him(no holes..rips)He asked for my fire extinguisher, I gave it to him. He asked for our fish, I took them out of the live well and showed him. Finally he asked for my horn/whistle I explained where it was and that I'd take him with me if he would like me to prove I wasn't pulling his leg. No...but you can take this ticket with you and the next time your son wants to borrow your whistle it will be easier to tell him NO. I payed the $50. and spent $25.00 on a set of air horns so Joey could still borrow my whistle. He never bothered us again.
    Don

14. 40 Pound Club

40 Pound Club New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Thats great, not a bad word all around. The reason I ask is because I am doing an internship with them right now and have seen both sides, thiers and the hunter/fisherman. Alot of people we encounter don't even realize that they are police officers. Most people refer to them as park police and always ask if the ticket they have recieved is like a real ticket. So far we have done alot more than just fish and game enforcement, we have done dui's, oui's, narcotics, accidents, suspended drivers, and a bunch of other things that I had no idea they had to do. If you have any goofy questions let me know, we get a ton everyday.

15. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Nick, it seems that every county and municipality that is near an interstate has turned into the gestapo. Every since the courts ruled they can keep the money, vehicles, and other items of value seized during a drug bust, every one with a badge now wants a piece of the action. We have them in Edmond, about 8 miles South of Gutherie on I-35. There is usually 1 to 4 of the Edmond City Police patroling the interstate. The funny thing is they seem to always set up north of the last edmond exit, so anyone they stop is not a citizen of edmond. It gets my goat everytime I see them on the interstate. When I talk to my son, the Oklahoma State Trooper, about these so called concerned police offices, he tells me to get over it, it's legal. Sob, that from my own son. I just wish they applied the law equally to everyone, but when they set up where the likelihood of giving their citizens a ticket, it is not fair and impartial treatment under the law.

16. Firecat41

Firecat41 New Member

State:
    Rockton, IL
    The local Cp livies in my fire district he is the nicest guy, unless it has to do with a OUI. I was talking with him one morning after Memorial Day at the Mobile station becuase I had seen him out on the water that weekend wroking, he just went off about an OUI in a jet boat, not that I blame him. Hope they all keep up the good work protecting our Natural Resoures.

17. Norm

Norm New Member

State:
    Freeport, IL
    This may be a stupid ques, but what does the O in OUI stand for, O____ Under the Influence?

18. Firecat41

Firecat41 New Member

State:
    Rockton, IL
    Operating under the influence, sorry.

19. bankpoleken

bankpoleken New Member

State:
    Mattoon, Illinois
    Norm - OUI - Operating Under the Influence

20. buddah

buddah New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania Wi
    I grew up right next to the barracks so I know em all! Officer Cole and ol' Thaddius Lower are OK in my book! Thats what I'm studying to go to Mansfeild University for is to hopefully work for the state at the hatchery up here. The Pennsylvania Fish and boat commission has done alot to protect our local freshwater trout streams from the idiots that flock here from outa state with thier fancy gear and thinkin' they own everything! Grrr... KUDOS to them!