Illinois Catfishing Lakes?

Discussion in 'LOCAL ILLINOIS TALK' started by lookinfurabiggun, Feb 20, 2006.

1. lookinfurabiggun

lookinfurabiggun New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Does anybody have any info on good catfishing lakes in illinois. I have been to Lake Springfield, but that lake is too big to get to know overnight. I have also been to Otter lake in girard Illinois if anyone knows it. I just want to know of good catfishing lakes in Il. So far in myu searches the best lakes I have found are coffeen, and Mattoon. If anyone knows of any others closeby. post them please. (I live near springfield.)

2. Rainman4u2

Rainman4u2 Guest

I guess the real question is, how far do you want to drive????

That will give everyone an idea on how to help.

Ray

3. bearcat

bearcat Member

State:
    Nokomis, Illinois
    Dont forget to check out Lake sangchris. It has lots of channels and Gives up numerous flaties in excess of 40 lbs every year. If you want to drive sout a little. Hillsboro lake glenn shoals is a good lake for channels and the flaties are strating to show up. Flaties in excess of 25 lbs have been caught in the last 2 years.. I am sure there are more.

4. SangamonCatKiller

SangamonCatKiller New Member

State:
    central illinois
    Scratch Lake Decatur from your list immediately. That lake is the biggest waste of time. There may be big flatties in there but locating them in the open water that is lake decatur is nearly impossible. Lake shelbyville I believe has decent fishing...im not much of a lake fisherman.

5. Doyle

Doyle New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I personally spend 99% of my fishing at Clinton Lake. A lot of good size catfish get caught there. (Not by me.) I catch a lot of 6 lb and below size. I think the fishing is almost good for these sizes.

6. Rockin' Blues

Rockin' Blues New Member

State:
    st.louis mo.
    baldwin has big blues ,flatheads and channels,also stripers

7. bearcat

bearcat Member

State:
    Nokomis, Illinois
    Scratch shellbyville from your list unless you are looking for party cove that is full of necked people on most any summer weekend.

8. Rainman4u2

Rainman4u2 Guest

Doyle!!!! Good to see you on Brother!!!! Glad to have you back!!!

Ray

9. eogden

eogden New Member

State:
    Carlinville Illinois
    A recent survey by DNR rates Taylorville Lake high on channels up to 12 lbs.
    Bearcat is right about Shelbyville. Occasionaly below the dam you can score but the water flow has to be good. Sangris the channels are typical of a cooling lake. Lots of them but 2-3lb ave. Sangris though has the potential of producing the next record flattie. Tremendous forage base for them to thrive & being a cooling lake with LOTS of cover & structure it is a natural for flatties. You don't have to get to know all of Springfield Lake. If you have a boat, drift the flats north of Lindsey bridge on the west side. The channel runs along that side & they come up on the flats to feed. Lots of 10lb plus channels & some monster flatties that can be taken from the shore. Otter you have to work up in the north fingers. Lots of bullheads here so go with cut bait & live bait. Gillespie Lakes are good but have a terrible moss bloom so anytime after mid june it is a tough lake.

10. bearcat

bearcat Member

State:
    Nokomis, Illinois
    Hey Eric where you been hiding. When it gets a litle milder we will have to get together and fish.

11. Doyle

Doyle New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Hi Ray
    I was being a little bull headed about the change in format, but I gave it up because its getting catfish time.

12. Redtick

Redtick New Member

State:
    Neoga, Illinois
    I live on Lake Mattoon and catch a catfish or 2.:) But, there are several lakes in the area that are just as good.:cool: There is nothing wrong with Shelbyville if you know where and when to fish it. The huge flathead on my avatar came from Shelbyville. I would fish Shelbyville alot more but all I have to do is walk 50 feet from my door to fish here at home. On the whole, Shelbyville has more and bigger catfish in it.:cool:

13. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    You guys are saying that Shelbyville is not a good place to fish for catfish? Now that's hard to believe. LOL I was told in no uncertain terms that we should fish there instead of Mattoon lake because there are good fish in there and that we'd fish Mattoon out if we kept fishing there. Hmmm....I think maybe we were being led astray. Chuck? What do you think? I think I'll be back up to fish Mattoon again as soon as you think it's warm enough, though the last time warm had nothing to do with it! LOL And since I know Tim and Eric fairly well, I think I'll stick with their guidance on this subject.

14. Redtick

Redtick New Member

State:
    Neoga, Illinois
    I am not leading anyone astray. All I need to do is walk 50 feet to get in my boat here at home but Shelbyville is much bigger and has much better fishing if you know where and when to fish it. We used to have some 200 pound + catchs there. Of course, 2-3 35 to 50 pound flatheads ads up quick. I am not going to draw any maps but if you can't catch them at Shelbyville, you just don't know what you are doing. I am very sure I could catch bigger catchs there than here at home.

15. coalminer78

coalminer78 New Member

State:
    Lincoln, IL
    I'm a big fan Of Clinton Lake and Sangamon River.

16. lookinfurabiggun

lookinfurabiggun New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Nice comment brian LMAO Let me know when you and paps go to mattoon. I wanna come. I have fish shelbyville from bank a lot and havent caught much. It is a big lake to find fish in. I will try out sanchris a little more if there are that many flatties in it. Thanks for the feedback guys.

17. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    i will have to say from the stories and experience ive had that clinton lake ranks right up there as one of the best catfishing lakes in illinois. last two seasons i have caught to many to count. i would say at least a couple hundered a year. 2-13 lbs. last season a 51# flat was pictured in the bait shop. just one of many. and a 26lb channel was caught off dewitt bridge. i have fished this lake for 15 years on and off and have almost never been skunked. adverage catch is 4- 8 fish. 2-8lbs. and ocassionally 20 or more. i seen a fella catch 33 on one eve alone at the hot water disdharge. sadly he kept them all. but he did say he was giving them to the church for a fish fry.

http://www.catfish1.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=243&d=1124832363

http://www.catfish1.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=242&d=1124832356

http://www.catfish1.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=3365&d=1135817354

http://www.catfish1.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=3364&d=1135817341

http://www.catfish1.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=3361&d=1135817171

http://www.catfish1.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=3822&d=1137096339

these are a few of my catches this year. clinton lake adveradges 12-15 ' deep in the forks toward parnell and the north fork. the main body is 20 some foot. 5000 acres. flooded creek horse shoe shape. has a hot water dischearge that makes a great place to catch lot during spawn.

18. Whistler

State:
    TN
    Hmmm....I need to come fish with you Jeremy!! LOL Some good fishing it looks like.

19. bearcat

bearcat Member

State:
    Nokomis, Illinois
    Hey Bryan you get up this way to fish. Give me a holler. I would like to go with or take you out to my lake. It is similar to mattoon.

20. Whistler

State:
    TN
    I'll let you know Tim. Thank you.