Illegal to use Tilapia for Bait??

Discussion in 'LOCAL CALIFORNIA TALK' started by Jedi007, Oct 12, 2007.

1. Jedi007

Jedi007 New Member

State:
    Chino Hills, California
    I have a question. I was reading in the 2007 Ocean Sport Fishing Guide Regulations. Here is the paragraph:

27.10. Live Bait Restrictions.​
    Tilapia may not be used or possessed for use as bait in ocean waters.

http://www.dfg.ca.gov/marine/oceanfish2007.pdf

Anyboby know why that is? Thanks.​

2. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    only reason i can think of is tilapia can live in both fresh and salt water. guess they don't want them in the salt.
    gary

3. StankBait

StankBait New Member

State:
    CA
    I think it may have to do with Tilapia being a farmed fish , and not wanting to introduce farmed fish parasites into the ocean that the naitive fish cant fight off.

That being said, I think it would make a great catfish bait!!! Some blended Tilipia,liver,old stinks cheese and garlic powder mixed with some flour. Now you got some homemade DKs!!

4. plumbertom1

plumbertom1 Well-Known Member

State:
    Eugene, Or.
    Talapia are a very prolific (one of the reasons why they are farmed) non native species capable of surviving and reproducing in salt water and they don't want them where they might out compete native fish.

5. bad apple

bad apple New Member

State:
    florida
    here in florida we have tilapia everywhere,we call them nile perch. they were introduced to help eat up the vegitation on the lakes that were being choked out. the problem is that they start to over take the lakes and push the native species off there beds that are bedding at the same time(being mainly bass)....we don't have a size or bag limit on nile perch nor do we have any rules as far as method of taking them be that of cast net or snaggin'.......