Illegal selling of catfish

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by s_man, Jan 26, 2006.

1. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    This in the same vein as the change the law thread.
    I've read posts on here of members being aware of people selling ohio caught fish to private lakes. If you suspect that kind of thing, call the TIP (turn in a poacher) hotline. We pay license fees for a reason, they fund the wildlife officers. These guys love to catch bad guys. If you see something like that give them all the info you can.

Maybe if enough people get caught abusing the law they will tighten the controls on trot/limb lines. I'm not saying all are bad, I set an occasional limbline myself. But how many of you need to set 50 limblines a night, or 500 trotline hooks to feed your family. It just seems wrong IMHO.

2. rockbass

rockbass New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I agree to turn people in, but from what I have seen, very little is done. They say they will watch out for them, but you rarely see anything actually done. especially when it comes to catfish. I have seen them watch for guys snaggin saugeye/walleye after being tipped off though

3. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I have done it, nothing has come from it..Ohio did have a big bust several years ago..but the fines are nothing, here is the recap from the bust of 2002, these people can make big money by doing this, so a little fine does not scare them.

COLUMBUS, OH - Forty-five individuals in 13 counties were cited on Saturday for the illegal taking and selling of game fish, according to the Ohio Department of Natural Resources (ODNR) Division of Wildlife. State wildlife investigators may file additional charges.

“The illegal taking and selling of game fish exploits a public resource,” said Mike Budzik chief of ODNR's Division of Wildlife. “We cannot allow a public resource to be abused for personal gain.”

Wildlife officers charge the individuals involved were illegally removing game fish, most of which were catfish, from Ohio streams and illegally selling them to commercial, recreational fishing operations.

Ninety citations have been filed for violations including the purchase of game fish, selling of game fish, selling bait without a bait dealer license, aiding an offender, possession over the limit and illegal method of taking game fish. Investigators expect to file as many as 100 additional charges once the seized records are examined and follow-up interviews are conducted.

Wildlife officers have been building the case they dubbed "Operation Mudcat " for several years. Most of the charges are fourth degree misdemeanors and concern the illegal sale and purchase of game fish. Penalties for illegally taking and selling game fish include a $250 fine, 30 days in jail and loss of fishing privileges. The investigation covered 13 counties including Brown, Butler, Clark, Clermont, Hamilton, Highland, Jackson, Lawrence, Montgomery, Pike, Preble, Scioto and Warren.

4. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    best thing we can do is to keep writing down info on these folks and passin it on to the DNR. liscense plate numbers, descriptions, personal names (if possible), times/dates, etc. i'd even go as far as following them to see what lake they go to! i've seen posts on another forum by a group of guys who are complaining about this "bunch" that are cleaning out the big fish in their area. i used to fish the area and think i know who they are talkin about, they match the description. i used to see 'em too haulin out all they could catch, they were supplying a local "lake" at the time, they even told me the lake! i tried to talk them out of what they were doin but it seemed they had the IQ of a 5 year old. said they were gettin free passes to fish in trade. get a damn job!

5. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    You know maybe this is one of the laws that need to be changed. If you hunt deer illegally you lose your rifle or gun, if you sell fish you should lose your boat and the transport vehicle. They take homes, cars, land, anything of value that "might" have been bought with drug money all the time.
    Why not for poaching for profit? That would put a stop to it right quick I think. I'm not talking about joe blow being two fish over on his limit of saugeye,but the guys making hundreds of dollars selling our fish.

6. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    I'm just not radical in my approach to the problem.
    Take his license for a few years, make him pay restoration cost with whatever means necessary and EDUCATE him. Obviously somebody doing this has not been educated. If I can take a 4 year old to a pond and teach her to fish then no doubt you can take an adult and show them the error of their ways.
    You cant take a drug dealer off the street, turn him loose with no time served with a slap on the wrist yet crucify a man for life for selling fish illegally.
    They turn the dealers back out on the street for lack of jail space.
    No way do I want a fisherman taking a drug pusher's bed.
    There is hope for the fisherman selling fish illegally.

You take his home for what purpose? What do you have then?
    Somebody else to keep up.
    Punishment should fit the crime. When you start throwing those scales out of balance you a have a legal system that isnt going to work.
    You may solve the fish problem but you've created 10 other problems in the process.
    Take everything the man owns then what you got? A bigger thief then he was before. No sense in kicking a dog when he's down.
    In order for there to be fairness in justice, the penalty has to fit the crime.
    The fair thing, revoke the license for a period. Make him pay restoration. If he has to sell his truck to do so, thats fine too.

It's a fish. It's not my life, and it's not my daughter.

As someone stated before, the best way to stop this problem is to cut out the demand.

7. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Revoke their license. LOL! Like that is gonna stop them from doin what they wanna do again. I know. Let a nice 15 or 20 pound channel clamp down on there testicles and then send em on their way.

8. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    oh that made my eyes water george! lol

if the law wont stop them, they mite need tangled up in there trot line and tossed in the water.

9. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    Mark, what I was trying to say was the punishment right now does'nt deter anyone. You can catch 20 or 30 flatheads on a trot line, take them to the pay lake, get your 200 or so bucks, then go back to the river and re-set your lines again, over and over every day. Then if by chance you get caught all it is is a 250 dollar fine. How many days of not getting caught does it take to pay for the only fine you get? ONE

I agree there is a demand for the services of pay lakes. People will pay big money for the chance to catch big fish with minimal effort.
    But why do I have to sacrifice a chance at a big fish so these two jokers can make an illegal living from resources that belong to us all?

10. fwmud

fwmud New Member

State:
    Wilson's Mills,nc
    george, remind me to vote for you if you ever to get run for office.
    "Chomp down.......!"
    LOL

11. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Lookin for a runnin mate Keith. Ya interested? We can call ourselves, "THE JUSTICE SLATE" LOL!