Illegal or no?

Discussion in 'LOCAL NORTH CAROLINA TALK' started by fishin'darnit', Mar 15, 2007.

1. fishin'darnit'

fishin'darnit' New Member

State:
    north carolina
    Is it illegal to cut up hickory or american shad to use sa bait,since these fish are not regulated by size i wouldn't think it would be.

2. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    I don't think so, LOL!!! We do it all the time here in Ky. You might want to check your state regs though.

3. speciallibXO

speciallibXO New Member

State:
    Maryland
    Same thing with Virginia and Maryland... You can use them as cut bait. To be safe though check your state's regulations. Cut shad in my experience usually produces the best catch, both in numbers and size.

4. bilyjojimbob

bilyjojimbob New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    You only have to keep the head and tail so the officers can see what it was. If the bait is regulated by size then you have to filet it so they can measure what is left.

5. BILLYP

BILLYP New Member

State:
    Fayetteville, North Carol
    here in NC all you have to keep is the tail. To show that you haven't caught ovet the limit.

6. kylekutta

kylekutta New Member

State:
    NC
    The law on creel or size does not matter,you can only filet the fish leaving the head and tail together.I have seen many people get tickets for cutting chunks on bream and shad.Bream and shad have a creel limit,that make them a game fish.It is illegal to cut chunks from a game fish you must filet them leave head and tail together.Hope this helps.

7. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    In Illinois it's ok to cut up shad but bluegill is regulated in some lakes.

8. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    mickey, your correct. a little more in depth, in illionis shad are fine to cut up. but any fish with a size limit in the body of water it was taken and or used (such as bluegill) cannot be cut up or dressed, (filleted or otherwise). but in rivers streams and such where there is no size limit they can be used cut.

9. riddleofsteel

riddleofsteel New Member

State:
    NC
    Direct from the NC regs;

"It is unlawful, while fishing, to remove the head and/or tail from
    inland game fish that are regulated by a size limit."

Any fish not regulated by size limit can be cut up while fishing. According to multiple game wardens I have questioned, any fish, game fish or not can be used as bait. You just can not cut up fish regulated by size. So shad are OK, except;

"No herring (alewife and blueback) greater than 6 inches in
    length may be taken or possessed from the inland fishing
    waters of coastal rivers up to the first impoundment dam on
    the main course of the river."

So on coastal rivers up to the first dam I would NOT be cutting up alewife or blueback herring because they are regulated by size.

10. greggofish

greggofish New Member

State:
    Holly Springs, NC
    We have a winner!!!