Illegal on Texas Waters

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by jedimanhunter, Jul 5, 2008.

1. jedimanhunter

jedimanhunter New Member

State:
    Texas
    Well I checked with my local Game Warden about cleaning fish in the boat.
    According to the game warden you can clean on the dock or on land but not on the boat. You can not transport filets of fish on Texas waters.

The reasoning was you can not tell what type fish the filet came from and you can not tell what the overall length of the fish was prior to being fileted.

If he measured the filet most would come up too short and a once legal fish is now illegal. To add to it once the fish is fileted on land it can not then be transported on the water either.

The whole conversation was about putting filets on ice and not merely guttting the fish where the overall length and type of fish can be still be established. His recommendation was put the fish your harvest on ice.

It makes sense to me and I understand it however I was gearing up to filet on the boat. Oh well Im glad I asked and maybe this will save someone else some grief if that is their current method of operation.

I will go to my next best option and go straight to the cooler. From the advise I got hear that is the best way to go anyway and steer clear of those hot live-wells.

Correct me if I am wrong but as I understand it if you go to the cooler with the live fish un-gutted the blood is drawn to the intestines and out of the meat when the fish cools making better fish on the table.

Others has said they leave a bit of skin on the filet so everone knows its a catfish. It does not look like that will fly if its a filet on Texas waters either when you take into account the Wardens outlook.

This is my second attempt to post this info. My first one was titled **WARDEN SAYS ILLEGAL IN TEXAS ** This was a few days ago and I can not find it so something happened to it or it was edited for some reason. If you find that post it contains the same info I just wanted to get it out. I said in another post I would do a follow up on this so here is what I found.

I am a rookie on the BOC so I am still learning the system on posting and adding to the reps, PMs and whatnot so bear with me.

2. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    illinois laws states.

any fish with a creel or size limit cannot be dressed on water. like if there is a size limit on largemouth. they cannot be filleted on the water.

heres right from our regs.

"no fish entrails (guts heads ect..) or carcuss may be dispossed of into waters of il after cleaning. NO fish species may be dressed (filleted or head and tail removed) on any waters to witch length limits are applicable.

basically we can clean catfish on waters where there isnt size regulations. but if ya have 6 fillets and they stop ya. you better have 3 carcusses in a bag too. or they may try and cite ya for dumping.

so on a lake where theres no lenght limit on bluegills you can dress them. but if on a lake where they have a 6" limit. then they cannot be filleted or dressed. so they wardens may check length. check into the regs.

ya might look at your regulations booklet. that tells it all. sometimes things a warden may not know either. in court or to a states attourny theres no case if the law wasnt broken.

3. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    Bass: 5 (in any combination)
    largemouth and smallmouth 14 inches
    spotted and Guadalupe No minimum
    Bass, striped and hybrid 5 (in any combination) 18 inches
    Bass, white 25 10 inches
    Bass, yellow No limit No minimum
    Catfish: channel and blue, their hybrids and subspecies 25 (in any combination) 12 inches
    Catfish, flathead 5 18 inches
    Crappie: white and black, their hybrids and subspecies 25 (in any combination) 10 inches
    Paddlefish No harvest allowed
    Saugeye 3 18 inches
    Sunfish: various species including bluegill, redear, green, warmouth and longear No limit No minimum
    Trout: rainbow and brown, their hybrids and subspecies 5 (in any combination) No minimum
    Walleye 5 (only 2 can be less than 16 inches in length) No minimum

ok. this came from texas state wide regs. channel and blue have a min of 12". so i would say no! you cannot dress on water. you probably can gut them. but head and tail may not be removed. that would leave no way to tell a min lenght. i think the warden was 100% correct on that then.:wink:

any fish with a state wide sixe min head and tail must remain on them untill ashore. and in site specific waters where those with no state wide lenght and that perticlular lake does. even they cannot be cleaned on that water.

i would think like humans. if a fish was on ice. like us his blood would go to his organs to heat them. like why we get cold on the fingers and toes. the heat and blood are drawn to the chest to keep organs warm.

4. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Its a big "NO NO" in Jersey waters also. I think its a good thing.:wink:

5. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    "i would think like humans. if a fish was on ice. like us his blood would go to his organs to heat them. like why we get cold on the fingers and toes. the heat and blood are drawn to the chest to keep organs warm."

I don't mean to hijack this thread, but fish are cold blooded, and mammals are warm blooded. I'm not so sure you can make comparisons like this. I will gut my fish.

Doug Stange, of In-Fisherman, states: "After death, fish flesh deteriorates quickly if the fish isn't handled correctly. Once they die, gut them immediately when possible to do so. Don't let sour, bacteria-filled stomach and intestinal juices touch the flesh for long. Gutting fish also bleeds them: blood left in flesh speeds deterioration. Wash gutted fish in cold water to remove bacteria, then surround the fish with crushed ice to retard any bacterial growth."

6. jedimanhunter

jedimanhunter New Member

State:
    Texas
    Katmandeux you did not "Hi-Jack" this thread, you responded which is the goal.

As a matter of fact I would have never of noted the fact that are different or maybe opposite reactions between warm and cold blooded species if you did not come on board with that.

I am going to show my ignorance here. I have fileted for so long and have been trainined to avoid the intestional area in doing so. What is the best way to gut a catfish or is there one and what do you look out for. I know there are tricks to every task.

Here is what you have to do when you get humbled on the BOC

" Look into your computer screen and type:"

" I am not smarter than a catfisherman"

There, I said it hehe

7. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    I just try to avoid puncturing any organs, and remove the guts intact. Some people remove the gills, as well, but I don't know what the rational behind that is.

The In-Fisherman cookbook talks about all of this in detail, and has many excellent fish recipes. I can't recommend it highly enough.

8. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    I saltwater fish alot. In New Jersey, you can filet certain species, but have to leave the skins on them to distinguish specie.

9. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    well no maybe its different between humans and fish. that was just a guess. that the organs absorb heat first.

i dont worry about punchering organs intestines or gills ect... because it aint like deer where they hang for hrs or a day or 2.home or camp where im washing them imed after. and salt water soak follows to draw out blood and bacteria.

im just offering suggestions and opinions. because in my experience ive cleaned stiff dead fish after a couple hrs and never had a problem. ive never cleaned on water and prob never will. the ones that die get tossed in the beer cooler on ice. and i just wipe off the slime from the can before i drink it.:wink::smile2:

10. ho_shi

ho_shi New Member

State:
    Texas
    i carry a elec fillet knife in truck and just run off my trollin motor bats and lots of time will clean right at the dock and throw as far out as i can the remants for future fishin

If runnin a trot line i go home for few hours fillet out and leave in bucket to drop back off above my trot line so tht that maybe i can entice bait fish and hence more cats (also the turtles seems to leave my line alone when they got more guts to eat on!!!)

just my 2 cents

AJ

is it illegal in texas to throw your guts back in the water????

11. Foam Steak

Foam Steak New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Bleeding! If you want to remove all of the blood from a fish chop the gills and put it head down in a bucket of water for a few minutes before throwing it in the cooler. You can also snip the top of the heart off and do the same thing. I have experimented with bleeding fish I intend to eat. Some varieties benefit from it more than others. Try it for yourself and see if you like it.

12. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    i cant find anything in texas on it. i know its illegal in illionis. public records.

A CPO and a District Sergeant responded to a TIPS complaint of a West Union man illegally dumping fish entrails and parts into Mill Creek near the Wabash River in Clark County. The man was located and cited for polluting.

and texas freq asked Q's said this.

Can you clean fish that you have caught while you are still on the water in your boat?

It is unlawful to clean (remove the head, tail, fillet) your catch of fish until the fish is finally landed on the mainland (not including piers, jetties) and no longer transported by boat.

13. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    Nevada wont let you clean them on the water. They had fish cleaning at las vegas marina before they moved the marina, actually the old ones are still there. You cannot remove fish from a body of water unless its dead.

14. ho_shi

ho_shi New Member

State:
    Texas
    taken from Texas Parks and Wildlife

Bait: Something used to lure any wildlife resource. It is unlawful to use game fish or any part thereof as bait.

Waste of fish - It is unlawful to leave edible fish or bait fish taken from the public waters of the state to die without the intent to retain the fish for consumption or bait.

SO I am reading this that you can put your fish wastes back in the water as it is considered bait??

But upon further reading it says Catfish are considered game fish

so I now as you this?? What is the "proper" way to dispose of your carcasses??? I guess I am doin it illegal using it as bait for trotline, let me rephrase that as baiting a trotline spot, i am not physically putting it on a hook so??????

15. jedimanhunter

jedimanhunter New Member

State:
    Texas
    Check out this link at the bottom. It appears that #6 the water code and #6 the health and safety code and #9 the Water Code will find a problem with dumping fish parts in the water or land. Look uder the Definations then you can search the offenses and penalties.

On the search tab upper left, I hit that button and then typed in dispose of fish parts. It listed 10 different codes. I did not read them all they are pretty extensive.

I am sure it comes down to officer discretion to go with a warning, citation if its a class c or arrest and possible seizure of property pending circumstances. Illegal Dumping is the one that gets you. The offense enhances by weight or volume. If that was enforced

§ 365.012. ILLEGAL DUMPING; CRIMINAL PENALTIES. (a) A
    person commits an offense if the person disposes or allows or
    permits the disposal of litter or other solid waste at a place that
    is not an approved solid waste site, including a place on or within
    300 feet of a public highway, on a right-of-way, on other public or
    private property, or into inland or coastal water of the state

(d) An offense under this section is a Class C misdemeanor
    if the litter or other solid waste to which the offense applies
    weighs five pounds or less or has a volume of five gallons or less.
    (e) An offense under this section is a Class B misdemeanor
    if the litter or other solid waste to which the offense applies
    weighs more than five pounds but less than 500 pounds or has a
    volume of more than five gallons but less than 100 cubic feet.

http://tlo2.tlc.state.tx.us/cgi-bin/cqcgi

I guess this is why people eat whole fish hehe. Hope that answers it.

16. ho_shi

ho_shi New Member

State:
    Texas
    hmmmm interestin gonna have to talk to game and fish round here