Illegal limblines?

Discussion in 'LOCAL OKLAHOMA TALK' started by Larry Collier, Dec 19, 2006.

1. Larry Collier

Larry Collier New Member

State:
    Wagoner, Oklahoma
    My brother had a dozen or so pvc limblines given to him this last summer. Apparently the guy was from out of state and didn't want to haul them back so he asked my brother to take them off his hands.

For some reason I questioned in my mind whether it was okay to use pvc for limblines so I emailed the wildlife department and sure enough, I was right. The regulations say you must use a "natural object" and the wildlife department tells me pvc is illegal and subject to a fine if used.

Just thought I would pass it along.

ps - pvc does work really good though

2. jlingle

jlingle New Member

State:
    Altus, Okl
    Jiminy christmas, thank goodness I read this. I had planned on using some pvc this next spring for some bank poles. That's a handy piece of info there, larry. Thanks a bunch.

Jerrod

3. CoonX

CoonX Member

State:
    Oklahoma City O
    Illegal for a limbline. But perfectly legal to hold an Yo-Yo.

"LIMBLINE: Limblines are restricted to no more than two (2) hooks per line and 20 limblines per person. A legal limbline is a line attached to a limb, branch or other natural object and has:
    • the owner’s name and address attached;
    • been attended at least once every 24 hours.

YO-YO: Yo-yo’s are restricted to no more than 20 per person and shall:
    • have the owner’s name and address attached;
    • not be left unattended for more than six (6) hours;
    • not be strung or suspended from any horizontal line across any channel or navigable waterway;
    • have no more than 10 yo-yo’s attached from any one line or support;
    • not have metallic material in lines used for attachment;
    • have lines no greater than 50 feet in length and must be placed or suspended without restricting or impeding boat traffic. Lines must be visible to boats at all times, day or night."
    Taken from the OKDWC website

There's some places at Keystone, that I want to try with with pvc yo-yos.
    Will

4. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Will, I think I'd get clarification from the Dept. of Wildlife before I used the PVC on yo-yo's. I think the purpose is to get rid of nonbio-degradable (sp) material, and PVC won't rot. There is a link at the bottom of this page entitled "Ask A Warden". Use it to send an e-mail to the state dept. of wildlife. I have always received a response from this link. I would also suggest all Oklahoma fishers/hunters retain this link in ther "favorite" or "bookmark" section of their browser. It can and does come in handy.

http://www.wildlifedepartment.com/law.htm

5. Larry Collier

Larry Collier New Member

State:
    Wagoner, Oklahoma
    Coonx you may be right. And I hope you are. I have a few places on Fort Gibson that are just crying out to be fished by limbline and using pvc would be so much easier than with cut tree limbs.

However, I think using pvc with a yo-yo may be treading on thin ice. It may be leaving the legal decision up to a particular law enforcement officer and his/her interpretation of the situation.

Larry

6. catfishcentral

catfishcentral New Member

State:
    OK

Larry, Your right on this, what one game warden interpets the law one way...another will see it different in some cases. Whenever you have a specific question that's anwsered by the ODWC keep a printed copy in your boat or tackle box as "proof" for those regs that are somewhat unclear. I've done this before when I got two different answers on a bowhunting question several years back.

7. dobbie

dobbie Member

The reason we like to use them is because the beavers will leave them alone.I guess i'll have to stop using them.

8. catfishcentral

catfishcentral New Member

State:
    OK

It's kind of a pain in the butt, but if you take the bark off your banklines you will hardly lose any to beavers. The easiest time to peel bark off a willow is right after it's cut. A sharp knife you can cut and simply peel back the bark off the limb.

9. Larry Collier

Larry Collier New Member

State:
    Wagoner, Oklahoma
    The jury is in! I got an answer back from ODWC and pvc is legal for use with yo-yo's. Here's the reply in case you want to print it out and keep it on your boat - just in case!

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2006 11:42:28 -0600 Subject: Re: limb lines? From:"ODWC" <odwc_info@fullnet.net>
    To:pervy2u@yahoo.com YAHOO.Shortcuts.hasSensitiveText = true; YAHOO.Shortcuts.doUlt = false; YAHOO.Shortcuts.location = "us"; YAHOO.Shortcuts.lang = "us"; YAHOO.Shortcuts.annotationSet = { }; YAHOO.Shortcuts.overlaySpaceId = "97546169"; YAHOO.Shortcuts.hostSpaceId = "97546168"; PVC is legal for yo-yo’s as long as you follow the regulations. If you have further questions, you can contact your local game warden. You can find that contact information at http://www.wildlifedepartment.com/lawstatemap.htm

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    [FONT=Verdana, Helvetica, Arial]
    When I emailed the question it was forwarded to the enforcement division and here is that reply with the name of the sender.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[/FONT]Subject: FW: limb lines? Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2006 08:30:07 -0600 From:"Blythe, Lisa" <LBlythe@odwc.state.ok.us> To:pervy2u@yahoo.com YAHOO.Shortcuts.hasSensitiveText = true; YAHOO.Shortcuts.doUlt = false; YAHOO.Shortcuts.location = "us"; YAHOO.Shortcuts.lang = "us"; YAHOO.Shortcuts.annotationSet = { }; YAHOO.Shortcuts.overlaySpaceId = "97546169"; YAHOO.Shortcuts.hostSpaceId = "97546168";
    PVC IS LEGAL FOR YO YO’S AS LONG AS YOU FOLLOW THE REGULATIONS

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks Coonx!! If you hadn't said pvc was legal with yoyo's I would have assumed it was unlawful.

I really don't understand how pvc can be legal for one and not the other. The only logical thing I can think of is that for limblines the pvc is the fishing device but with a yoyo the pvc is only a support for the fishing device. Oh well - I ain't complaining - but I do need to buy some yoyo's now!!

Larry

10. catman george

catman george New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Chris or AWSHUCKS-
    I am missing something here I think. Are you sticking the PVC into the rocks,bank, mud or something, then tying the yo-yo to the end of the PVC?
    catman george

11. Larry Collier

Larry Collier New Member

State:
    Wagoner, Oklahoma
    George the way I have always used a yo yo on limbline was to have it near the surface so it won't haul the smaller fish up in the air when it sets the hook. Never used one on pvc but gonna do it this spring for sure. I'll sharpen the back end and shove it in the bank, wedge it in some rocks or whatever it takes just like I would with a regular limbline.

Larry

12. catman george

catman george New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Chris or AWSHUCKS- I am missing something, I think. Do you use the PVC to stick in the mud,sand or rock then tie on the yo yo's?

catman george

13. catman george

catman george New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Larry- Gotcha, that is what I thought. Thank you. Yo yo's are deadly on crappie using 2"-3" long eared pumpkinseeds for bait. Pumkinseeds are better than bluegills and green sunfish. I learned that from an ol river rat from SE Okla. Pumkinseeds or greens are dynamite baits drifted for hybrids or walleye too.

catman george

14. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I think if it were me, I'd want better clarification than what you have included in the post. I didn't see how you had phrased your question, so don't know how to interput the response. It may be the wardens are thinking the pvc is laid in a horizontal position and the yo-yo suspended from this structure. That would be entirely different than having a 10 foot section of PVC stuck in the mud at an angle and the yo-yo tied to the tip of the pipe. Different senarios for using PVC and I wonder if the answer is the same in both senarios. Think I'd just take a picture of the way I wanted to fish the yo-yo and include that photo in an e-mail to the wardens. Don't hurt much extra to do it right.

15. Larry Collier

Larry Collier New Member

State:
    Wagoner, Oklahoma
    Awshucks said -- "I didn't see how you had phrased your question, so don't know how to interput the response."

Here's what I wrote -- "I emailed a few days ago about using pvc limblines. The reply was that it is a violation. I passed this information along to others at an online catfishing forum.

However, there was one comment that the use of pvc with yo-yo's would be legal because there was no restriction to using a "natural object" with yo-yo's."

They replied --
    "PVC is legal for yo-yo’s as long as you follow the regulations. If you have further questions, you can contact your local game warden."

Touching base with your local game warden sure wouldn't hurt. And they may appreciate that they were asked.

16. CoonX

CoonX Member

State:
    Oklahoma City O
    I'll tell ya'll what. After Christmas I'll go to ODWC headquarters and ask.
    Will

17. catman george

catman george New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Good idea! By talking to the dept head, every one else is downstream.

18. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I am going to the Department on January 2. GOtta get those lifetime license. LOL If I remember, I'll pose this question and the one Tony had about trapping perch.

19. CoonX

CoonX Member

State:
    Oklahoma City O
    LOL I bet they'll be trying to figure out what's going on. 2-3 people e-mailing questions about the pvc pipes and at least 2 going to headquarters and ask about the pipes.
    Will

20. Mark R.

Mark R. New Member

State:
    Rush Springs, OK
    When you find out the legalities please let us know - Where do you purchase the Yo-Yo's I see some listed on e-bay.
    Mark