Ill Effects of Turtles in Ponds

Discussion in 'Turtle Talk' started by festus, Sep 30, 2009.

1. festus

festus New Member

Will turtles ruin a pond? I have access to four ponds, and they all contain slider turtles or maybe it's painted turtles, and a few snapping turtles. They aren't really overpopulated with turtles, but I have caught a few this year. Do they really eat a lot of fish? Are they good or bad for a pond? Would it be better to remove some of them, or do they keep Mother Nature in balance? My dad cooked one of those old softshell turtles in a pressure cooker when I was growing up, and the smell gagged me and I doubt if I would ever consider eating them.

2. fmb

fmb New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    if I catch a turtle out of a pond I usually kill it...but if caught in a river I let em go...

the only reason I kill em is cause I know if I release em it will be right back on the hook in 5 minutes:angry:

3. Az Birddog

Az Birddog New Member

State:
    Tucson, Az.
    Turtles will eat some vegetation and they probably do a pretty good job of cleaning up dead fish and left over bait. If there's not too many, I wouldn't think they would be a problem, except for your fishing line. If you do catch them, turtle gumbo is some good eatin.:002: FMB is right about them getting right back on your hook.

4. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    I keep the snappers cleaned out of my ponds. I leave the soft shells and sliders.

5. Duckpoor

Duckpoor New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I am with Bluejay on this one.
    Snappers are at the top of the food chain in a pond and I believe they can and do have an impact on the environment.
    They are a prediator ...peroid!
    Fish, little ducks and geese and what ever else they can catch. Big picture they are just apart of the Big Picture I guess ,but ponds are some what Built and Supported for a specific purpose by those who control them. I don't think they add much benifit doing what they do.
    Little stink pots ( painters)are more like the clean up crew and just sort of blend in with the mix. Softies are fish eaters by nature but they rarley seem to get very numerous for some reason.
    Rivers are another story. Live and let live.

On the eating side .Softies and Snappers eat real good and aside from the chore of getting them table ready are pretty fair eats. I'd get with someone that knows how to do the chore and your will find yourself enjoying them am am willing to bet.

ron

6. Brandon829

Brandon829 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I fish a private pond that is overun by turtles. The owner told me to kill what I catch. I probably killed 75 turtles last year and 20 this year. I'm not sure if I made a dent or not, but atleast I did my part. I think the turtles ruined this pond.

7. low desert jonathan

low desert jonathan New Member

State:
    California
    GET A 22 A COUPLE OF HUNDRED ROUNDS OF LONG RIFLES a powerful spotlight, a portable radio, comfortable lounge chair and most importantly a case or two of cold beer, kick back aim carefully and have some good old fashioned fun:smile2::roll_eyes: LDJ

8. CatsNstripers

CatsNstripers New Member

State:
    Smith Mountain
    A Normal Population of snappers in a pond wont hurt a thing, its a balance of the eco system. Sliders and softshells, just keep the tadpoles and water bugs at bay, there no worry.... A snapper is a predator, but the chances of it catching a healthy bass, catfish, crappie. etc are slim to none. There just not fast enough..... Sure every once in a while they may get lucky and ambush one, but usually thats a bluegill.

I've never really seen a pond over run with turtles. You may thing that, when you fishing with bait and catch one, every ten mins. But placing your bait out there, is just opening the door for a turtle in a pond. Theres only so much room a turtle can go and sooner or later they will find your bait.

You may think a pond is over run with turtles. And I've seen a lot of turtles in a single pond. But if the pond is not stable enough with the habitat and food supply a turtle needs. It will move on.

I will tell you one thing I hate. Is when Folks kill turtles, and leave them for waste, because they think they will clean a pond out. Thats to far from the truth. Otter's Yes, turtles no. And Beavers can damage a healthy pond by daming up a feeder creek..... Whats bad is when the person that killed the turtle, probally is younger than the turtle. Now dont get me wrong I'm no Animal activist. I hunt, kill, But I eat, use or give to someone who will, what i kill. And Yes I set lines for and eat turtles. But I dont kill to waste.

I cant wait for the day, when i catch some DumbF***** killing a turtle for waste. Or saying stupid comments like "I kill them, b/c if you release they just get right back on the hook" or "A case of beer, aim and have some good ole fun"... (sometimes i wish this wasnt a computer when we have these conversations with those ignorant souls) Aint nothing more i hate to see than a dead turtle on the bank when i'm pulling the boat out that had been shot or shell smashed with a rock,.... Cant wait for that day!

9. Brandon829

Brandon829 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I kill as many as I can and don't eat them, too small, but that's what the owner wants me to do. What I can't stand is some tree hugger little baby bashing people for what they do or don't do. I'd really like to get my hands on one of those type of people!

10. Brandon829

Brandon829 New Member

State:
    Kentucky

That sounds like a hell of a time!

11. CatsNstripers

CatsNstripers New Member

State:
    Smith Mountain
    I am in no means a person to run my mouth to anyone. I dont start trouble and certainly not triing to offend anyone or Bashing anyone. And MOST important, I'm not looking to get in any type of trouble on this board. But I do speak my mind and state my own opinions in a manurable way.

But buddy, I dont know who your speaking to, calling a tree hugger. I can assure you. (It dont make a flip to me, how much UFC you watch.) A Tree Hugger of any type is one thing I am Not. As I quote my own statement from my post....

But as i was saying. I voiced my opinion, and in no means do i plan to get fired up on an internet forum. I have stated all i will say on this thread, no matter what other comments will be posted... But I will say this, B-829. How bout not leaving me no more smart elic comments on my Rep Board.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2009
  12. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    i do not like them...but i dont want no trouble :smile2: seriously fellas ..its a turtle...ill get you some more

13. Brandon829

Brandon829 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    As like you, just speaking my opinion. And in my opinion you sound like a tree hugger. Just going from your previous statements.

14. playin4funami

playin4funami New Member

State:
    Saronville Ne.
    I know I'm not a tree hugger,but I don't kill for pleasure! If I kill there's a reason for it,don't be the reason!:wink::smile2::smile2: jk

15. Brandon829

Brandon829 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I'm totally with you, I don't do it for pleasure. The owner of the ponds ask me to help out. So everytime we catch one we kill it. No sliders though, thats where I draw the line. We just kill snappers. None are big enough to eat, or else we would. The biggest we catch are fist size. The only reason I called him a tree hugger is because he was talking about getting violent with a human over a turtle, lol. Kid stuff, lol

16. flatheadslayer

flatheadslayer New Member

State:
    Thomaston, Geor
    a turtle posses little to no threat to a pond.a turtle is no match for a healthy fish.if a ponds quality is deminished you need to look at other sources , not turtles.

17. Bassmaster23

Bassmaster23 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    i have a nice collection of painted and red eared sliders at home. I think they are awesome creatures. No need to kill any painted or red ears just because they eat some bait here and there. Snappers are a little bit dif since they are much bigger in size and very aggressive. Around my way Amish farmers pay good money for snappers. Heard there good eating... But i still see no reason just to diminish a species from a pond just because you wanna have fun or are bored etc etc. Some people really need to just stay home and watch tv.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2009
  18. BubbaCat

BubbaCat New Member

State:
    Arizona
    he did not say anything about being violent. just waste not want not.

19. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I personally wage war on em in my pond,The only kind in it are what we call mud turtles,which look like mini snappers,but these guys never get much bigger than a box tortiose. I kill every one I see,And I toss en in a ravine for what ever critter will have em. Stick that in youe pipe,If ya dont like it ,Your more than welcome to visit me in person,makes me no difference. I aint gonna change for no yankee from Virginia. or no dip$shit from California,Just cause they dont like my views.

20. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Tell us how you really feel Richard!! LOL brother!!