IL goldfish regulations

Discussion in 'LOCAL ILLINOIS TALK' started by TeamWhiskers, May 30, 2007.

1. TeamWhiskers

TeamWhiskers New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Could anyone up there in Springfield contact the dnr and find out the specifics on using goldfish in IL if you could. House Bill 1181 was not all that specific on the goldfisn as it was identified as not being a minnow basically. This happened back in 2005 as I hope new regulations have been passed for the goldfish. We really need to know about this for not only IL but for the other states that many of us travel and fish in.
    Thanks for the help.. Vince TeamWhiskers..

2. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    Hey Vince,
    I just sent an email off asking for clarification. I'll let you know what they say when they respond.

3. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    Hey Vince, Cant PM you back right now heheh ...

Date: Thu, 31 May 2007 07:57:44 -0500
    To: lmick@dnrmail.state.il.us
    Subject: Goldfish as bait

Good Day,
    I am trying to get clarification on the use of Goldfish for bait. I see alot of bait shops selling them, but I am not certain if they are legal to use for fishing.

I have NOT heard Anything back yet :roll_eyes:

4. TeamWhiskers

TeamWhiskers New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Ok Thanks Tim. Ill call up there next week and see if we can shake something loose.

5. bigredsbbq

bigredsbbq New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I've asked several people still have not heard from dnr but everyone I have talked to says there legal to use for bait in Illinois I asked my supplier there answer wasn't clear I also called a breeder in Marion who supplies alot of baitshops they also claim that there legal

6. Shawn

Shawn New Member

State:
    Illinois
    check the www.dnr.state.il.us website. the 2007 regs should address this. I know bait shops sell goldfish, so I'm pretty sure their legal.

It used to refer to the fish family cyprinidae (sp?) as being minnows and legal to use as bait. Carp and goldfish are in this family.

You can also use fish caught on hook and line (bullhead, sunfish) as bait as long as you observe regs where you catch them and where you use them as far as size and number.....

Shawn