Ike took us offline for a while

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by olefin, Sep 22, 2008.

1. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    We lost power for 4 days and cable for 5 when Ike hit our area. It sure makes one appreciate electricity when you do get it back.

I have some photos here if anyone is interested. (some pictures have caption under the picture) . This county was declared a disaster area three times in 2 weeks from 2 different hurricanes. 41,000 in this county lost power, some for 5 days. But we were very lucky, for we only got minor roof and house trim damage.

Seems we live a long ways from the Texas coast to have that much damage from hurricanes.

I been missing BOC. :wink:

2. dademoss

dademoss Member

State:
    Ohio
    Welcome Back Dayton, glad you made it through!

3. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    I thought there was a disturbance in the force. LOL! Glad you and yours are OK.

4. griz

griz Well-Known Member

State:
    Murray Ky.
    Glad to hear ya'll are ok. Welcome back.

5. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Dayton you have been missed also. We had similar damage here in So. Illinois with lots of flooding in the northern part of the state. Ike definitely left its footprint acrosss the usa. Glad you were all safe.Welcome back.

6. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Glad to hear your family is ok. Glad to have ya back posting again,Dayton.

7. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Welcome back Dayton,Glad you made it through ok, It was He!! here in So. In. also:crazy:

8. Mi11er

Mi11er New Member

State:
    Independence, M
    Glad to see you back. Having no power is a miserable thing to go through.

9. catfishcentral

catfishcentral New Member

State:
    OK
    Hot Springs sure did get hammered with all the rain those two hurricanes brought. I was in Hot Springs last week and some bad looking areas....lots of trees lost/falling down.:crazy:

10. farmer

farmer Member

State:
    Osceola, MO
    Welcome back Dayton. Glad ya made it through ok and its good to see ya back on the BOC. We missed ya.

11. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Welcome back my brother, It is kind of lonely without your post!

12. Catpaw

Catpaw Well-Known Member

State:
    Central Cail
    Name:
    James
    Dayton glad to here that you and your wife are ok ,And you weathered the storm . God Bless

13. Mike81

Mike81 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    Glad your back online and your familyis safe Dayton. Didn't you just have some big pines taken down a little while back from around the house? Probably was a good thing huh??

14. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    welcome back brother you have ben missed

15. Little Mac

Little Mac Active Member

State:
    NW Arkansa
    glad to see you made your way back. Also glad you made it thru the storm, Odd having hurricanes in arkansas aint it? Got pretty wild here also, lost trees, power and phone was out for about 7 hours. I would hate to loose it as long as ya'll did. :eek:oooh:

16. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    Good thing you cut those trees when you did, wow those are some big trees!!!!

17. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    Sure did Mike. We were very thankful of that... especially watching all the other trees whip around for about 3 hours. Our neighbor now has two oaks leaning towards their house, another of their's brought down our main lines at the road. They lost another large oak during Gusta but it fell towards the lake. I saw the flash of light when it broke the main line. At first I thought it was lighting for it lite up the whole area. We were blocked in until noon Sunday before they got the tree cut into.
    Jim, it sure is. The old timers here say it's never happen before the last two. We have a cable phone, had we still had a land line it wasn't effected for it's underground.

The last power outage here was in the 2000 ice storm, power was off a week but we were not home. At that same time my father-in-law lived up near Booneville and his was off 2 weeks.

18. Cheryl

Cheryl Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    So glad you and Betty are OK! Yes it was a good thing y'all had those trees took down a few weeks back.

Good to see you back.
    Love and hugs to you and Betty,
    Cheryl

19. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    Dayton - Nice to see you back! :big_smile: I'm glad to hear you only had minor damage.