IGFA-hall of shame

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by cook, Jan 22, 2006.

1. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Plattsburg,Mo.(near K.C.)
    Well,after 3 years of my brother(a non-fisherman)wanting to take me,I finally went with him to the museum/hall of fame.
    Maybe it was the years of anticipation,or just the jaded lifestyle we now live....but,what a dissapointment.
    Quite a few of the interactive displays were down.One whole room was shut down for rennovation.Some of the displays listed in the brochure were nowhere to be found.Out of date records listed.
    I don't know what I was expecting,maybe it was geared more to the novice.All and all,a big let down.Had more fun next door at the bass pro shop.

The biggest thing that pizzed me off.There was a feeding pond for the kids to buy feed and throw it to the fish.Now remember,I'm down in Fl. and not fimiliar with the laws,so I've been reading them heavily.

What were the fish in the pond???Walking catfish,talapia,and oscars.ALL NON-NATIVE,INVASIVE SPECIES.Some are even illegal to have in your possesion while alive!!!!

Didn't see one mention of"Splash" from texas.Was geared mainly to saltwater.

2. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I haven't been there but it is mainly saltwater because that is where 98 or 99 percent of our fish live . However it is a shame on them if they don't the Great fresh water Catfish on display. Thanks for the report but sorry you didn't enjoy.

Danny

3. zappaf19

zappaf19 New Member

State:
    Monticello,IN
    What did it cost you to get in?
    Bill

4. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I can guess that he's missing an arm & a leg due to the price! :p

5. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Plattsburg,Mo.(near K.C.)
    Was 9$
    Not quite an arm and leg,maybe a finger,guess which one!:)

6. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Read the rules for IGFA.
    If you want to be listed in the IGFA you have to prepare your tackle and fish by their rules, including submitting line off your reel for testing at YOUR expense.
    The IGFA is more to fishing then the Pope and Young is to bowhunting.

The majority of freshwater fishermen are "cheap" for lack of a better word.
    They fish with bargain bin rod and reels and off brand fishing line.

On the otherhand saltwater fishermen tend to 'invest" more into their sport from the reel on up to the boat.
    Most of the folks listed in IGFA were after a record of some sort and had prepared in advance to the rules of IGFA.

The fishing line test would disqualify alot of fish.