If your on small Flathead Catfish should you move or wait?

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by kitsinni, Jun 3, 2009.

1. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I have found a couple places on the Ohio that I seem to always catch small Flatheads. I am talking 1-4# is the biggest I have seen from these spots. When I am there it seems like even frozen cut shad produces Flatheads, but always small ones. Is this a place that is worth trying with larger live bait? Last time I tried I had a 1# Flathead almost choke himself on my large gill LOL.

So I guess my question is do large Flatheads stay in the same area as the 1-4# ones or should I pack up and find a better spot?

2. thecatman

thecatman New Member

State:
    Graham, Texas,
    the flats in there try fishing earlier and later the larger ones my be going through the area at an earlier time and you catching the tail end of em moving through the area and the smaller ones are just picking up the scraps so to speak i've fished spots where i caught 1-5lb flats for weeks at a time then fish a little earlier and pull out 20-50lb flats good luck and you may want to try some bullheads if you can find em

3. shortbus

shortbus New Member

State:
    indiana
    I would say theye are in there. A fish does not know how big he is (remember your 1# flat choking down a big gill). Only thing that might be seperating the bigger fish from the smaller one's is that they are teritorial and will fight for the better spots in the hole.
    Now,,, think of your 1# flat eating that big bluegill. Now think of what a 60# flat can fit in his mouth. Use bait for the size fish you want. I'm not saying a big flathead won't eat a 2" gill if it's close and he's hungry he will eat it.

To me it sounds like you have some good fishing spots. In my river a good rule of thumb is,,, for every 30 flatheads, there will be one over 30# and so on.

4. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    im a bank guy so i never move, lol ,if i hah a boat, id be on the move all day, then try to or three spots at night,

5. thecatman

thecatman New Member

State:
    Graham, Texas,
    very good point i noticed when i caught my pb flat he ate a really small gill but he kept moving up river like he was still in search of food just think of how much a big flat can eat and keep that in mind when fishing for them a good rule of thumb is a big bait on one rod and a small bait on a differant rod

6. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I am going to keep at them. This particular spot is really close to where I get shad from anyway so I pass it all the time. They have to be down there someplace and I will be back every chance I get!

7. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I only fish with large live bluegills.....I haven't caught a small flat in ages....there are many nights with no action, but then there are nights with monster flats.:big_smile:

I would stick with this spot and use larger baits....you will find the bigguns. Good Luck!:big_smile:

8. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Interesting thread. Last 2 trips to this one spot we've caught 22 Flatties, 3 Blues and 2 Channels ranging from a little under 2lbs to 13.6lbs. Only 3 have been over 10lbs. Most have been 4-6lbs. I've been wondering if the Hogs were around this area or not. Either way were gonna keep hitting that area and trying for the bigguns! We have lost a couple nice ones but no idea how big they actually were.:confused2:

9. Welder

Welder New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Know great looken spots all ya get is 5lbs and under @ em. Most of em tight to the bank. Mabe try fishen a lil deeper or out on the break goen to deep water on the channel. True flats like to runn the bank but somtimes the big boys stay deeper. I have taken good flatts out of 30 ft of water and 20 yards away next to bank all I got was lil ones. If you have to, hunt up some other spots. Ya know where ya getten the small ones just try to find the same thing in deeper water mabe ya might get a gooden.

10. Pip

Pip New Member

State:
    pa
    I always thought that if you were on the smaller ones, either casting a little bit out of the area or moving just a little might get on some of the bigger ones. I don't know if it's correct or not, but I've always figured that the bigger ones always kind of hang back a bit. but I've also always went with the saying, find the bait.... find the fish. If the smaller ones are in an area feeding, that means there is bait around. Catfish do 2 things very well, they eat and they breed. It's not like they decide to take a weekend vacation and run up to the other end of the river or lake to take in the sights.:wink:

PS. Another thing I hate to do is leave fish to find fish. For me it backfires more times then not.

11. Dsage

Dsage Active Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    If it is cover you are fishing I would move to a new location or move around the cover some, I have never had luck in a spot that produces small fish getting a big one. I have moved just a few yards away and then got in to a big one but not in the same few feet. If you are fishing an area with no cover its just a pass thru for the fish or a feeding area then I would not move try a different manner of presenting the bait. Something like a float or maybe go to live bait.

12. recordbreakin1

recordbreakin1 New Member

State:
    texas
    well i know a flathead will eat any thing even another flat.If there are a large nimber of small one there i wouldn't think there would a be a big one around or the big one would eat them.They fight for there spots and i don't think a big flat would let a bunckh of littles ones hang around and rish loosing food to them.

13. rivercatjon

rivercatjon New Member

State:
    MI
    I disagree with this...Fish do know how big they are...Just remember one thing it is like deer hunting or any hunt...Think about deer you don't see big bucks hang out with little ones...The reason for this is dominance...

I agree the big fish are teritorial and do fight for the best holes...Big fish will eat those 1 - 4 lb fish so more than likely try another location...maybe not to far away but up stream or down a little...

14. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

If the baits around,the big flats ought to come sooner or later,I,d stay.Lot of good advice given on this one already.If I didn,t do any better deeper or nearby,I,d try changing the time of day,when the little ones aint biting.You may be at the right place,wrong time?Also going to a big enough bait gotta weed out a lot of the smaller ones.:big_smile:

15. ncriverrat

ncriverrat New Member

State:
    Trinity, NC
    i would fish several rods with several different size bream on them that wat u can pretty much get an idea of what size they r taking, earlier in the year small to medium sizes work well, guess cause the gill hatch, but i always got one out with a large size one on there,but if ur catchin small ones ur in a place where flats like so stick with it, it will pay off. and later in the year when the water warms u cant fish with bream 2 big. dusk and dawn best 4 me right now!!!!! good luck

16. centexcop

centexcop New Member

State:
    Texas
    I'd keep to the same spot as It sounds like it has the potential to surprise you with a big one. I'd definitely change up presentation on a rod or two. I agree with the bigger baits. Try a Kat Bobber at different depths.

I hope you're holding on to that rod, cause one of these times that small flathead is going to turn out to be something big. Keep the net and camera ready and it will happen.

If you feed it, they will bite!

17. DTro

DTro Active Member

State:
    Minnesota
    I've caught 5lb fish and 50lb fish within minutes of each other using the same size bait that was cast out to the same spot. I think during the prespawn you will find fish feeding without concern to other fish.

During and post spawn, those big fish will stake out their home and defend it more aggressively. Later on while preparing for the winter season, you will once again find them (all sizes) feeding in the same area trying to pack on the pounds.

18. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    I can tell you from my own experience...when the little ones stop biting...sometimes its because "big poppa" has come into the area to see what all the ruckes is about! Give it a little wait and see:wink:...

19. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    Flathunter33 beat me to the post on my thoughts about this situation.:wink:Reps to Flathunter:wink:
    When the little ones quite biting Hang on to to your pole or have them in sturdy rod holders, The big boys may be wanting to play.:wink::smile2::smile2:

20. muddyriverdogz

muddyriverdogz New Member

State:
    Illinios
    If there is little ones Theres big ones.I seem to catch the big ones at different times than the little ones though.