If you think gar is a trash fish

Discussion in 'Gar Fishing' started by catman529, Mar 6, 2007.

1. catman529

catman529 New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Think again!

For example, when you are catfishing the worst thing to catch is a turtle. You all agree, right? But when I am fishing for whatever bites and fights, I will gladly take a turtle because they fight hard.

With gar, I plan trips - I go down to the stream with my cast net and fishing gear, then I throw it around in the rapids until I have enough bait for the trip. Then I get out of the water, walk down the trail and climb down the bank to my favorite gar fishing hole. Usually the first thing I see is buffalo sitting near the surface. But then there are the longnose gar - and unlike the buffalo they are ready to eat anything.

Sometimes I use only half of a shiner to save bait. I use either a Kahle or treble hook and make sure the bait is hooked in the middle.

When I see a gar slowly drifting by, I pick up my baited rod and fling the bait out past the fish. Then I reel it so the bait is right in front of the fish. This is my favorite part - every time the gar will take the bait in its sharp beak, and start to swim away with it. I have to let it swim for about 5 minutes to be sure it swallows the bait. It will swim out, stop and chew, swim out, stop, and keep doing this until it eats the bait.

Then you set the hook and reel it in. Usually they jump when hooked and will put on a good fight. If it is big enough you might need a landing net to get it on the bank. Then you have your gar, sitting in the net. They are an awesome fish to catch.

If it is badly throat hooked, cut the line and let it go. It might live - the hook will probably work its way out.

OK, now if you have always hated gar, you might want to just try fishing for them when you're not catfishing. It is fun and they are a great fighting fish. I just hope gar fishing never becomes too popular - if that happened, we wouldn't see them on the surface as often and the population would decrease.

But go on and try it out this spring, and have fun!

If you have any more questions about gar fishing, ask me (unless it is alligator gar you are going after). I will be glad to help.

Tight lines

Catman

2. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    i guess one man's trash is another mans treasure.
    i still dont like gar and will do my best to controll the population in my local waters.
    there are plenty here

3. catman529

catman529 New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    yeah some day I would like to visit TX just to fish for gar there... and some trophy flatheads as well

4. F150Catfish

F150Catfish New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    :0a27: I did released them, but I don't eat them.. I don't know if it's good taste or not??

5. Taliesin

Taliesin New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Every time I go fishing I'm really fishing for whatever bites. I may be concentrating on one type of fish or another, but if someting takes my bait I'm happy no matter what it is.

I'm actually thinking of targetting some gar this year. I know i have seen some that would break the current state record.

6. squirtspop

squirtspop New Member

State:
    Glencoe, Arkansas
    I saw a show on the TV years ago, probably 30 years at least, but they were catching gar in the White River here in Arkansas and getting them along side the boat then shoot them with a .38. They were probably in the 5-6 foot range. Guarantee you they was some big ones. I'd hate to be in there swimming with them and one pass close to me. I'd think Jaws was after me for sure.

7. BigOlGooduns

BigOlGooduns New Member

State:
    Texas
    I may never understand why this is so...
    Coolaid attracts gars. I would never believe it unless i had seen it with my own eyes. I was pouring out a cherry coolaid drink and after a couple of seconds, there are the gars. It was unbelievable!

8. FishBrew

FishBrew New Member

State:
    North Texas
    Feel free to come to Texas and take all those bait stealing, not good for eating, hook ruining, line destroying, razor sharp toothed, flip-flop'in, can't get the hook out SOB's back with you. :lol:

(this message brought to you by shallow water, live bait, catfisherman in gar invested waters) :tounge_out:

9. catman529

catman529 New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I will be bringing coolaid on my next trip!!!!

Thanks for the tip and reps to you. Tight lines

10. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY

Try cut up chicken breasts or beef stew meat that have a pack of cherry or strawberry koolaid dumped in the baggy with them.It works great on channels,may work for gar as well.

11. treddinwater

treddinwater Active Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Never caught a gar, there aren't any in the waters I fish. But I am an equal opportunist fisherman and I love to catch any and all fish.

12. kickin_wing

kickin_wing New Member

State:
    Illinois
    No ofense but i personaly dont like gar. But if it was one of those big fat gator gars i might like to fight one of them. When ever i catch a gar round here i dont release them. I guess i just dont like those little gar in the river that always toy with me and steal my bait.:001:

13. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    I Guess that Means You Don't Currently Fish for Gar,Right?LOL.J.D.
    :big_smile_2:

14. Cajun Tater

Cajun Tater New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Being from South Louisiana we can cook anything and a Gar Fish Roast is a specialty. You cook it like you would a beef roast for about 3 hours and add a little roux to the gravey. You can also grind the meat and make Gar Balls that can be fried or made with Meat Balls and a gravey.

The trick here is to know how to clean the Gar. If cleaned correctly there is no bones. We only cook Alligator Gar.

15. catman529

catman529 New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    "Gar balls" LOL that just sounds funny...but I might try it. thanks for the tips.:cool2:

16. BigOlGooduns

BigOlGooduns New Member

State:
    Texas
    what's the trick to cleaning them and not getting bones?

17. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    come to texas and get all of them or i will ship them to u!!

18. buddah

buddah New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania Wi
    I once watched a gar "fish"! Thre was a wounded fish along the riverbank and I thought that the gar was gonna eat it but noooo it actually waited just outta sight from it and was snatching up any fish unlucky enough to check it out for food! It was really interesting to see! We don't have gar in our area so I cant say I have ever caught one with rod & reel but have 3 in one of my larger aquariums though. They are fun and have lots of "personality"! I like gar and would not hurt them myself. I'm sure I would feel differently if I lived around thier waters and they kept snatching my bait! We have Monsterous snapping turtles for that up here! lol

19. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    I live in Texas and love the gar. Don't care much for handling one in my kayak, but if bank fishing, just pull him up on the bank. They can be great fun, especially if you can get mullet for bait. They really go after an oily mullet.

20. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Here in Southern Ohio, Im doing my best to promote Gar as a great sportfish and even do a few flyfishing gar Guide trips each year. Most folks are curious about them and do not understand how they fit into the ecosystem or are afraid of them but once you learn how to handle them and realize what an important piece of the life balance they are, youll begin to appreciate them for there fight and overall sportingness of catching them. We use Rope flies and its a blast to sight fish to them, casting streamers just past them and have them turn and follow it and then in pike like fashion, grab the bait at your feet. Smaller Longnose gar do not fight very hard but the bigger ones say 30" and over are a blast and usually jump. Remember these fsh were here long before the catfish and bass and deserve to be released whenever possible, just take a leather glove to hold them by the snout and a pair of long nosed pliers to get your hooks out. We are very adament about getting the nylon rope out of there mouth to release them since they would starve to death otherwise. Oh yeah, I bet it isnt there teeth that cut your line but there gill plate, its razor sharp like a Pike, but the difference is there teeth are Conical like a walleyes vs pyramidal like a pikes, this is why a pike will bite you off every time and rarely will a walleye. They dont have big teeth, just lots of sharp small ones. Im a member of GASSBAG and have found the light.....

Salmonid