If you missed the 50's and 60's

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Bobpaul, Feb 24, 2008.

1. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
  2. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Thanks Bob for the stroll down memory lane. I had to stop and think on it for a few but I have owned and restored several of those old rods. Still have some of the old rod books. My most faveroit cars I have owned was a 57 chevy and a 57 skyliner. I didn't have to restore any of those 2 because they weren,t very old when I bought them.:smile2:

3. gardengrz

gardengrz New Member

State:
    wakeman,ohio
    that was great,thanks. i had a few good ones. the one i should never got rid of was my 50 merc.:angry: :big_smile::cool2: whats neat is theres a new craze in rat rods. my kids are into it thy both have an old pickup and car so im still seein this goin on and lovin it :smile2:

4. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    I had a 57' Fairlane 500, back in the early 90's. Traded one of my English Bulldog pups for it.

It had a leaking torque converter. The only 2 piece torque converter I know of. Changed it out with a display model, I got from the local transmission shop, and put many a mile on that ride.

I passed my drivers test, when I was 16, in my dad's 51' Chrylser 4 door. What a monster of a vehicle. No power steering and fluid drive tranny.

I learned to drive in one of these. A 50' Plymouth 3 window coupe, or Business coupe.

http://www.carnut.com/cgi-bin/02/mopar.pl?/show/02/wam/wam095.jpg

5. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY

You lie so much. You learned to drive in a chariot. LOL! Thanx for the link.

6. oh no

oh no New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I was surprised to see so many 58 Chevy's, not many were sold as a recession was going on in 1958. My mom's pride and joy was a 1955 Chevy , aqua and white with a continental kit.

Those were fun times. When they said where we went they forgot catting the drag. In small towns, we went from one end to the other, seeing what kind of fun/trouble we could get into.

Now days that would be past my bedtime, riding around all night. lol

:big_smile::eek:oooh::smile2::eek:oooh::big_smile:

7. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
  8. oh no

oh no New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I must be younger than you OLD FOLKS as my first car was a 1961 Chevy Biscayne. Burnt 3-4 quarts of oil to the tank of gas. lol

My first good car was a 1965 Plymouth Belvedere, metallic red, black interior, 318 auto, 2dr hardtop. Beautiful car.

I learned to drive on my grandmas Fergason tractor pulling a manure spreader. lol

9. blacksheep

blacksheep New Member

State:
    NC
    I had a 68 Ford Torino. Lots of fast cars in them days. 427's, 426's......

10. cathooked

cathooked New Member

State:
    north carolina
    thanx Bob took a trip back and never left the house,enjoyed the link...

11. Dano

Dano New Member

State:
    Texas
    :roll_eyes:My oldest Son just bought a 1965 Lincoln centennial. Reminds me of a gangster car.
    Its in really good shape from what he told me. I saw a couple pics. Didn't look bad at all. I'll have to get an in person look when he brings it over. it has 40k original miles. Been kept in a garage and hasn't been started since 1985 . Has "suicide doors". 430 cubic inch, 320hp V8. All original.
    I'm sure after sitting up for years , it aint going to fire right up. . Might get lucky and all it needs is heads re worked. He plans on restoring it to new and diving it, but if the right dime comes alone, for sale. I'll help but he will have to foot the bill. If he sales it , I'll add in my labor, LOL, if he keeps it. I got some old 1960 gangster cloths, make me a wooden machine gun and ride the parades.:cool2::tounge_out: LOL.

12. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Loved those suicide door Lincolns.

You could walk right up and put hand cuffs on the door handles:smile2:

13. gardengrz

gardengrz New Member

State:
    wakeman,ohio
    ya my 50 merc haddem:big_smile: :cool2:

14. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

I've never driven a really cool vehicle :sad2:. 'Less ya count a '76 Datsun 280Z with holes rusted in the floorboard :smile2:.

But I'm sure we're stickin' pretty close to American cars on this thread :wink:.

I was never interested in classics growin' up, but in my 20s I had a friend who liked shows. She at one point had shown her '68 Ford truck......so I started going too. Love 'em now, find it hard to believe I didn't think it was interesting when I was younger.

Seems we had a lot of Chevrolets in my world. Mom bought herself a 1959 Chevy Bel Air, she worked as a secretary then. The rear end of that thing goes right along with cat eye glasses, IMO :big_smile:. She sold it when it was young, and helped pay for the mobile home she and Dad bought. Think that was the only new car she ever had until she was in her 50s. Later they had a '64 Impala, that's the one where Mom would stuff the back floorboard with couch cushions and make us l'il ones a bed (for the drive-in); then Dad had a '57 pickup - Old Bluie - used to take us and all the neighborhood kids for rides.

I dated a fella that had a couple cool cars.....a 1964 Chevy Impala SS convertible, and a '66 Corvette Convertible. The most comfortable was the 1980s Oldsmobile Touring Sedan; and I actually got to DRIVE that one :roll_eyes:.

Hmmm, what did I learn to drive in? A 1972 Chevy Malibu, a 70s model International Scout, and a '79 Ford Granada.....:big_smile::smile2:

Guess which one I took my driving test in......

15. Dano

Dano New Member

State:
    Texas
    LOL, I never thought bout that. :smile2:

16. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Thanks for the trip down memory lane. Appreciated.

17. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    Bob, I liked all those. Those were some fine years!

Here's a picture of mine, it wasn't too fancy but it was new and my first car. 1956 Ford, 225 Thunderbird engine, with 4 barrel Holley and dual exhaust, I added a couple glaspacked mufflers.

18. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Thanks for that video,Bobpaul. Those were some fine rides,My first truck was a 1956 ford f100. werent much to look at but it was mine.

19. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Awsome,Awsome vidio ,really cool ,I enjoyed it Thanx ! :cool2:

20. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    hey Dayton nice 56 I had a 57 with 312 bird motor 3 speed trany duel exhaust with thursh (woodpecker mufflers) :cool2: