If you knew where the next state record Grass Carp was, Would you go for it? and how?

Discussion in 'Carp Fishing' started by GrandpaGoneFishing, Feb 19, 2006.

1. GrandpaGoneFishing

GrandpaGoneFishing New Member

State:
    Linn Valley, Ks
    I have gone fishing in a local pond and seen what has to be the next state record Grass Carp. While taking some kids fishing, one of them hooked that old bad boy. With the gear they were using they had no chance, no chance at all. Vintage metal geared old zebco 33s. My 1st choice for any ones 1st fishing trip out. Them and old Johnson's. Any ways, I visit with the old boy several times a year while fishing that old pond. I see him and he sees me every time I get down there. Its just odd. I've fished there for years and never hooked that bad boy my self. Never heard of any one hooking it except my niece.
    Question is, Would you go for him or just enjoy the company?
    And if you caught him what would you do with him?

2. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I would fish for him, and when I caught him I would kiss him on the head and release him!

3. TeamCatHazzard

TeamCatHazzard New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Might as well fish for him and see just how big he actually is since you go there all the time anyways. Get ya some stout line and a good rod and reel and some dough bait or something and catch that son of a gun. Good luck!

4. GrandpaGoneFishing

State:
    Linn Valley, Ks
    Ya, Guess your right, I should go after that old boy. going to email the biologist for the area and see what I should do if I hook that big boy. Any suggestions on the dough bait?

5. GrainDrain

GrainDrain New Member

State:
    Texas
    Big Red (the soda) and some bread dough, and corn flakes, try and put a little cube range in it if you can get it(feed store)

6. ScottWiseman

ScottWiseman New Member

State:
    Indianapolis,Indiana
    Try organic baits suchs as mixing corn, alfalfa, wheat germ and maybe corn meal...grass carp love the organic stuff....and dont skimp on it either...the bigger the bait, the bigger the fish...they have larger mouths than commons.

7. Madtownangler

Madtownangler New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    Grass carp like green stuff. I've caught them on leaves before. Maybe you could get some grass clippings and put them in some spawn sac material or panty hose. Then squish it to let the juices out. Very cheap bait. We've fishing in parks before and threw grass clippings in the water to get them feeding. Then cast some jigs right in front of them.

8. micus

micus New Member

State:
    Lake St. L
    they will bite on just about any vegetable material. I use cottonseed cake, cherry tomatoes work well, corn threaded on a hook. They will occasionally hit on worm. Catch it, measure it and release it to be caught again.

9. T-Bone

T-Bone New Member

State:
    South of Dallas
    I'd try GrainDrain's idea or is this just something Texas boys do ?
    Go for that bad boy and getta good pic of you and him and let him go !
    Good luck.

10. catmanofohio

catmanofohio New Member

State:
    Aberdeen (Southern Ohio)
    Yeah i would go naturaly on it dough or worm or corn... Catch Photo Measure Relese, Repeat

11. GrandpaGoneFishing

State:
    Linn Valley, Ks
    Going to run down tomorrow and Give that Old dude a run for its money. Hopefully. Got a few doughs ready to try and a can of corn to boot, and never go out with out my trusty Night crawlers. :0a32: All this advise, Thanks alot.
    :0a31:

12. ScottWiseman

ScottWiseman New Member

State:
    Indianapolis,Indiana
    You cant beat cherry tomatoes and throw out some grass clippings as chum.

13. ibohunter

ibohunter New Member

State:
    southeast, pa
    i would try to catch it, weigh it, take picture, and release it back for future fisherman

14. Fry Guy

Fry Guy New Member

State:
    Warrensburg Missouri
    Any luck today Jay? Let us know how it went.

15. GrandpaGoneFishing

State:
    Linn Valley, Ks
    He's still out there. didn't chatch nothing to brag about but enjoyed being out. I'll keep you posted.

16. rwilley3

rwilley3 New Member

State:
    Brighton, Tenne
    I have had several of the grass carp in my pond caught on crickets fished really shallow below a small cork. A few grass trimming for chum or dog food pellets that float will speed up the wait. I have even caught one over 50# by dragging a rooster tail right in front of his mouth then stopping right in front and he struck as it started to flutter to bottom. I guess it was done out of impulse or something. The bad thing I was using an ultralight pole with 4# test and it took me about 45 min to land him. That apparently tired him out too much and he couldn't swim upright. I even waded out and held him up and swished him back and forth but he ending up dying anyway.