IF you improvise.......

Discussion in 'KANSAS LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by KansasKatter, Jun 26, 2006.

1. KansasKatter

KansasKatter New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    If you improvise a little, any fishing can be a blast!

Due to family issues I ended up camping at Sterling Lake last weekend. After talking to some locals and scoping out the lake, I took out my two spinning rods usually used for bass. They are both med action and spooled with 12lb test line. I was using shrimp for bait and had a BLAST catching channel cat from 2lbs and under, up to about 5lbs! I caught about 20 the first evening, and 15 the next. Released all of them, I was just having fun catching them, and on the light tackle, was just as fun as catching the whoppers! A guy fishing just down the way from me caught a flathead about 20lbs! Some HS guys came down and turned about 6 flatheads loose between 7 and 15 lbs that they caught in the river, they said they have probably released about 20 of them this year alone all about that size! It is a small lake, about 12 acres if I was guessing, but it is DEEP! (Former gravel pit) and full of aeriators, about 20 of them all around the lake. One section is so deep your perch will die if you fish it ont he bottom!

One more interesting fact, there is an old rail car they sunk in the lake years and years ago, according to several old timers, there is a flathead in there that is to big to get out of the car, I think they were pulling my leg, but they swear by it!

2. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Sounds like you had some great fishing there. Congrats on the catches.

Dont listen to those old wise tales about catfish as big as Cars. Not true, but it would be great right??

3. KansasKatter

KansasKatter New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    One could only hope! They seemed very serious about it. It is an old boxcar they sunk to create a "reef" down there. Supposedly this flathead started hanging out in there, eating baitfish and such, and could not get back out! The doors were only cracked about 18" or so. Some divers from the college were practicing under water rescues swimming into and out of the boxcar and saw him in there.

I know they are probably pulling my leg, but it was sure nice sitting with these old timers and killing a few beers with them and listening to their stories! Good Times!

4. retired stump jumper

retired stump jumper New Member

State:
    KANSAS
    You have set me to wondering if there is a flat in a boxcar in the lake & divers were inside the boxcar & seen it They surly had to open the door more than 18" to get inside & if they did why did`nt they leave it open. I think there were others pulling your leg too. also why did`nt one of them volentier to take your bait down & put it inside the old boxcar for you. When I was a yonker a neighbor man would take me fishing & would have me take his bait & put it under a big slab of concrete for him because there was some big flats under there. He always said that an ole flat would feed some time during a 24hr. period.

5. KansasKatter

KansasKatter New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    LOL I did not think of asking them that! One of them probably would have, he was getting pretty froggy after about 5 beers! The doors won't open any further, they have rusted solid. That is why they use them for training, it trains the divers to get in and out of tight quarters. There are also hole cut into the car around the top, they use these to train as well. I am going to ask them next time I am down there which one wants to swim my bait down there for me! LOL

6. OsageCountyCatman

OsageCountyCatman New Member

State:
    Osage City, KS
    There's an old story about Pomona lake along the same lines as your story from the old timers...

Supposedly back in the mid 80's there was a drowning at Pomona. Divers were sent to work the bottom around the dam where the water's pulled out of the lake into the outlet. After an hour the divers came out and refused to continue the dive due to the size of the catfish they'd come across.

This ain't a clear lake, nor is it shallow enough in that area to see through. Yet I've heard the same story from 3 separate people, one of whom claims to have been helping with the search. I suspect that if anything they rattled a couple big flats out of their holes and got scared, but the stories go so far to say these guys saw fish as big as themselves.

7. warcraft1975

warcraft1975 New Member

i have heard that same tired story about every body of water in the u.s it would seem its a urban myth that gets applied to everywhere,besides if there where that many down some one would have got one of a trotline by now wouldnt they?

8. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

I have heard it also but instead of a box car it was a volkswagon bug and the divers had to hide in it to get away from the catfish so as not to get eaten.