If you have ever lost a fish because of circle hooks, were using mono or braided line

Discussion in 'Fishing Line Review' started by TDawgNOk, Apr 25, 2006.

Do you use Mono or Braid line when having poor hookups with circle hooks?

1. Mono

2. Braid

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Do you have a low success rate of hookups with circle hooks? If so, do you use Mono, or Super Braid lines?

2. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    TDawg, I have been recently converted to using circles and seem to go in spurts where Ill hook 3 out of 3 hits then go O Fer 3 or even more so while the jury is still out. I will always use Mono on my reels ( 17# ) so the poll was a no brainer for me.
    Now lately the circles have been working well in the boat for channels but from shore I still dont have enough study time do make a sound decision.

Im still waiting to see how this years flathead fishing goes.

I use for channels the Gamma 6/0 circles and I think some of those hits might be smaller fish. I been wanting to get the same hook in a size 4/0 but it hasnt happened yet.

Salmonid

3. bill_gfish

bill_gfish New Member

State:
    st. marys, oh
    since I only use mono I would have to say that when I do have poor hook ups it always on mono so if I would vote it would be one sided so I aint voting. But I am interested in the results.

4. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    Dog gone it, I can't vote!
    I use braid only with circles on my catfish rods.
    I use mono only with circles on my bait/blugill rod.
    Plus:
    I do not recall ever missing a fish due to the hook.

5. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    Now ya went and changed the name of this poll. Now my post looks like,,,,,ok, it does look like one of my posts. Dang!

6. Chief

Chief New Member

State:
    Indiana
    mono is a better choice because it will stretch a little and not pop the hook like braid will. stretch is good with circle hooks cause it cushions the load on the rod too.

7. RamRod

RamRod New Member

State:
    Ohio
    To answer the question at hand, no I have a great success rate of hookups on mono line, not a low succes rate. Kind of a silly poll unless you include the greater succes rates too. I think you may as well asked which line do you have a better succes rate with circle hooks, not the opposite. JMO

8. Deltalover

Deltalover New Member

State:
    Tracy Calif
    I think it's a great queston! I had'nt considered it before, but I believe I have lost more fish using braid and circle hooks! I know that when I am panfishing or slip bobber rig for cats with mono and circle hooks my catch ratio is about 99 percent! I think I miss a few with braids.

9. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    The reason for the pole is testing a hypothesis, that the "give" or stretch factor of the mono could be causing a slingshot effect if the fish tries to get a better hold of what it has in its mouth.

10. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I started using circle hooks 3 years ago, I have only lost 3 fish in that time, unfortunatly they were all trophy class flatheads..I think Cicle hooks with mono is deadly for channel cats, and most of the time flatheads.

11. tnkatman

tnkatman New Member

State:
    Bluff City, TN
    I Started Using Circles @ The End Of Last Year's Fishing Season, So This 's Really My 1st Year Using Them And I'll Have To Say That My Hook Up Rate Is Better Since I Started Using Them & Learned The Proper Technique. I Use Them With Mono. Never Tried Braid.

12. McDreamy

McDreamy New Member

State:
    nc
    i have been fishing with circles on mono and braids to me it really depends on what style of circle hook. right now i have gone to using khale hooks again because of the way the fish have been hitting on lake hickory they aint swallowing it they are engulfing it and it is getting stuck in the top of the stomach. but mainly when i use circles on braid i get more hook ups than misses cause the way i fish i tight line all the the time and with no stretch it sets the hook better. in my opion

13. maddcatter

maddcatter New Member

State:
    Newark, Oh
    Some of the places I fish, I have to cast extra long distances. In these situations, I like braided line. I think mono stretches too much for the hook to get a good set on smaller fish. Anything with weight shouldn't be a problem.

14. Desperado

Desperado Active Member

State:
    Pataskala, Ohio
    Name:
    Clarence
    Losing fish is not a matter of which line your using, it depends on that you know how a circle hook works and the use for one and how to keep the barb clear of scales and pieces of bait. You have to let the rod load up and not set the hook, then just pick up the rod and lean back slowly to feel the weight of the fish and reel the fish in. Most people hate them when they first use them and whine about how they don't catch fish. I never had a low hook up rate with circle hooks.

15. Alsey

Alsey New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    What Maddcatter said.

I use braid with circles and if possible I leave about 2-4 foot of slack in the line so the fish can pick up the bait and engulf it before he starts loading the rod. I always assumed the stretch of mono might give the fish a short window of opportunity to spit the bait before the point has penetrated good.

16. Justin

Justin New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    We only use braids, circle hooks, and we tightline about 90# of the time. As of yet, we haven't had a problem with braided line and circle hooks. But we do stress the importance of using a sensitive rod like the Tiger Rods. When you use braids there is no stretch, so if you tie it to a very stiff pole, your bait could get pulled out before the circle hook has time to dig in. But this is true with both mono and braid, just more so with braid. You want to make sure you use a rod with plenty of backbone but also with plenty of sensitivity in the tip. Matching a rod, reel, line, and hook on a catfishing outfit to perform at an optimum in the conditions you use it is not as easy as picking the coolest looking stuff. You really have to think this through. We really like the Tiger Rods with a 6500C3 Abu, 50-65 pound Power Pro, and Owner Circle hooks in 5/0-8/0! First off we use the Circle Hooks because through trial and error we found that circle hooks have a higher hook up percentage for us than regular hooks. Now there are alot of reason we use power pro over mono. First off we really like how tough it is, it has no memory, it casts farther, we can tie a better knot in it, and we can hold alot more of it on our reels than mono. Now we use the Tiger Rods because we know that we use circle hooks and power pro and the power pro has no stretch. The mixture of a very sensitive tip and alot of backbone will allow the circle hook to have time to dig in with the sensitivity and the back bone gives us enough power to haul in big flats. Now as far as the reel goes we use the 6500C3 abu's because they cast well, they can hold alot of line, they have a very smooth drag, and their durable enough for us to put them through years of abuse and still work fine. Okay i'm rambling again.........I tend to do that from time to time. :lol: