If you have a child you should read this..

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by ldkitch, Mar 13, 2008.

1. ldkitch

ldkitch New Member

State:
    Henderson, KY
    A man came home from work late again, tired and irritated, to find his five-year-old son waiting for him at the door who asks, "Daddy, may I ask you a question?"
    "Yeah, sure. What is it?" replied the father.
    "Daddy, how much money do you make an hour?"
    "That's none of your business! What makes you ask such a thing?" the father asks angrily.
    "I just wanted to know. Please tell me, how much do you make an hour?" pleaded the little boy.
    "If you must know, I make $20 an hour."
    Looking up, he said, "Daddy, may I borrow $9 please?"
    The father was furious. "If the only reason you wanted to know how much money I make is just so you can borrow some to buy a silly toy or some other nonsense, then you march yourself straight to your room and go to bed. Think about why you're being selfish. I work long, hard hours everyday and don't have time for such childish games."
    The little boy quietly went to his room and shut the door. The father sat down and started to get madder about his little boy's questioning. How dare he ask such questions only to get some money? After an hour he calmed down. He started to think he might have been a little too hard on his son. Maybe there was something he really needed to buy with that $9. And he didn't ask for money often.
    The father went to his son's room and opened the door. "Are you asleep, son?" he asked.
    "No, Daddy, I'm awake," replied the boy.
    "I've been thinking, maybe I was too hard on you earlier," said the father. "It's been a long day and I took my aggravations out on you. Here's the $9 you asked for."
    The little boy sat up straight, beaming. "Oh, thank you daddy!" he said. Then reaching under his pillow, he pulled out some more crumpled bills. He counted the money, then looked up at his father.
    "Why did you want more money if you already had some?" the father asked.
    "Because I didn't have enough, but now I do," the little boy replied. "Daddy, I have $20 now. Can I buy an hour of your time?"

If you really love someone, the best gift you can give them is your time and sincere attention. And especially to the little ones in your life, these hours are truly precious and irreplaceable

2. Shadow Hunter

Shadow Hunter New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Thanks Lori for these words of wisdom> We all should leave our problems from the day where ever we receive them, or give then to the one who came to take them for us. Home should be a happy place, that's where our treasures live!

3. Big Dav

Big Dav New Member

State:
    Southwest
    Thank you for posting this. It can be easy to "jump the gun" when it comes to some of the questions our little ones can ask. If we shut up for a minute and give them a chance it will often surprise you what is on there little minds. Both mine continue to blow me away with some of the things that come up with and say, almost daily. I learned early in parenthood I needed to slow down and listen to them, not jump in with a reply, comment, or punishment before I realize the whole deal.
    If I would have been the dad in that story, I would probably still be crying about it. At least inside in nothing else. Hopefully if makes him think a second the next time, and there is always a next time.:big_smile:
    Thanks again for the story, lost of us need to be reminded what we are doing when we answer a question or replying to our kids. That is how they learn and sometimes teach you if you let them.

David

4. ldkitch

ldkitch New Member

State:
    Henderson, KY
    Your welcome guys!!! Our daily lives are full of hussle and bussle and we do need to realize how important are children are to us, slow down, and take time for them, one day they will be all grown up and remember those wonderful times they had with us when they were young......

5. dinger66

dinger66 New Member

State:
    north alabama
    life is so busy it is easy not to slow down and take time with them .they grow ups so fast .our oldest at twelve has been nominated to two natinal honors year books and to go to another in washington dc .

6. ldkitch

ldkitch New Member

State:
    Henderson, KY

Congrats to your oldest, I know ya'll are proud!!!!:big_smile:

7. bumper

bumper New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Great post Lori. I have a 5 yr. old at home who amazes me. He has helped me become a much more patient man. Too often parents are ill about something else and take it out on their children. I guess we've all been guilty of that before. I have custody of my son, so I get to spend a lot of time with him and I am thankful for that. We went bream fishing just today. Like Dave said, if you just take the time to listen to what they say and what they ask it will astonish you sometimes. Thanks again for the story.

8. rosscatman

rosscatman Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Thanks Lori,excellent post.

9. Angelkitty

Angelkitty New Member

State:
    Sheridan, Ar
    thanks for sharing.

10. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Thanks Lori for sharing an excellent post.

11. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    i have an 11 month old who has a dad fixation. he stands at the baby gate and shakes it and whines till i pick him up.

during the past few days ive been ripping out out bathroom and remodeling. he hasnt got to hang with dad cause of the dirt dust and ive been busy. last night i got all the drywall up and paneling over it and floor cleaned up pretty good although its going this week. i took him in to see the work and held him on my knee. he turned the water on in the sink, well i did. and let him play in the water for a bit,lol. mom wasnt real happy with his p,j,'s having wet cuffs but we had fun.

and today the oldest got to help me put up the last few pieces of paneling. he likes the calk line. thinks its cool:sad2: