If you had only one night to fish in Kansas.....

Discussion in 'KANSAS LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by KansasKatter, Jun 21, 2006.

1. KansasKatter

KansasKatter New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    Hey all, I am new here and wanted to ask the question. If you only had one night to fish any lake in Kansas for BIG flathead, what lake would you fish?? If your life depended on catching a nice flathead, which lake would you bet your life on in other words? Or big numbers rather than size?

2. kcgeoff

kcgeoff New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Just about any lake in Kansas has flatheads. I've heard from many people that Toronto Lake is an awesome lake for big flatheads. I think I would start there. :smile2:

3. center12

center12 New Member

State:
    KS
    If my life was on it I'd call the State Fisheries Biologist and ask him about flathead density's...................then I'd go to the one with the most fish:tounge_out:

4. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    I would try Elk City Res.

5. OsageCountyCatman

OsageCountyCatman New Member

State:
    Osage City, KS
    I think I'd try Lake Shawnee (not Shawnee SFL). Some monster flats have been caught out of there and the flats don't get the fishing pressure they used to. The lake being only 400 acres should also help find them.

6. RPnKC

RPnKC New Member

State:
    Kansas
  7. retired stump jumper

retired stump jumper New Member

State:
    KANSAS
    When it comes to fishing lakes for flats I would fish ether Elk city or Fall river res. retired stump jumper

8. Calvin

Calvin New Member

State:
    Kansas
    If I only had one night to produce I'd have to pick El Dorado. But that's just because I am more familiar with it than any other water in the state. But, if I had time to put in some effort and could choose the time of year and moon phase, Toronto is the place. KDWP was netting flatheads over 100 pounds out of that lake 25 years ago and the fishing pressure has decreased since then.

9. kccats

kccats New Member

State:
    Olathe, Kansas
    If I had a choice, I would not pick a lake, I'd stick to the river.
    If I had my choice on a river and could fish anywhere I want, I would pick the Marais des Cygnes river on some of those long streachs where no one is allowed to fish because of private property laws.

10. warcraft1975

warcraft1975 New Member

if i had to pick a lake to get a good one i geuss my goose would be cooked!lol i fish the kansas river or than that i never have been able to get any decent flatheads from any lake around here even though i know they are there

11. center12

center12 New Member

State:
    KS
    Tom, I feel for ya buddy!! The lakes haven't been very kind to me either:sad2:

12. warcraft1975

warcraft1975 New Member

man i tell ya charlie, try as i might i never can fisgure clinton lake out as far as the big fish are concerned,but a friend of mine went down there after work friday night and just killed the big channels got a limit all over 10 pounds and one flathead that was 26 pounds, hows that for dumb luck!!! he invited me to go but i declined now i wish i had gone,been on the kaw any ?its slowed up to a snails pace for me

13. KansasKatter

KansasKatter New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    Thanks for all the input guys, I would prefer a river 100%, but I always have the wife and kiddos along on the weekends, they get along a lot better at the lakes than on the river banks. lol

I am going to try to get up to Toronto soon, I have always wanted to fish there, but we always stop at Fall River and don't make it up to Toronto.

Any idea what part of the lake to fish?