If you had a few gallons of chicken blood

Discussion in 'Homemade baits' started by zoelife, Mar 9, 2007.

1. zoelife

zoelife New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    What would you do with it???

I can get blood at work,along with some small or large clots in it,and some chicken feathers,although not too many feathers..

I am wondering though...What is everyones opinion on how to "fix it up",and make it hook ready??

Thanks,
    Kevin

2. troyedm

troyedm New Member

State:
    edmond oklahoma
    i have heard and used one time chicken guts. they worked great for cats, but are hard to come by unless you raise or buy live chickens. surprisingly, they don't stink.? my grandmother would save them and freeeze them. gonna try them this summer, as i can get live ones at the flea market. clean em, eat the chicken and fish with the guts.

3. catfish_clayton

catfish_clayton New Member

State:
    Catania, Italy,
    Have you ever tried mixing the blood into a doughball yet. I've mixed the blood from a container of chicken livers into a doughball I make from cornflakes and flour and I've had it work well for catfishing. I hope this info can help you.

4. zoelife

zoelife New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I can get chicken guts too..more than I would ever know what to do with..guess I should try those as well.

Thanks,Kevin

5. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Try treating the clots with salt or brown sugar. Remember, NEVER use iodized salt on a catfish bait.

6. flatheadhunterx

flatheadhunterx Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    why not use iodized salt and what kind do you use?

7. justwannano

justwannano Active Member

State:
    SE Iowa
    I've never had the opportunity to use blood but it seems a natural for sponge.

8. LiquidSteel

LiquidSteel New Member

State:
    La Vista N
    I envy you having chicken guts at your disposal. I would take the liquid and mix it with either oats or some kind of cereal. Or mix it with a store botten bait.

Maybe even mix it with oats or something. I read some good people here mix strawberrry soda with cereal. Hopefuly you can come up with a conction that will revolutionize cathching large cats!!!!

9. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Iodized salt contains very small amounts of iodine, which the cats seem to dislike. While we can't tell the difference in taste, catfish can. Just use non-iodized salt instead; you can usually get it at the same place you get your iodized salt. I get mine at my local Wal-Mart Superstore; same price as iodized.

10. flatheadhunterx

flatheadhunterx Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    thx that may be i have never caught anything i toughen with salt.

11. DemolitionMan

DemolitionMan New Member

State:
    Tupelo, Mississippi
  12. Taliesin

Taliesin New Member

State:
    Missouri
    That sounds like a pretty good idea right there.

13. olddriller

olddriller New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Kevin,
    If I had some chicken blood I would put it in a blender, and mix in some wheates breakfast food . Keep adding wheates untill it looks thick enough to make a ball , this will stay on a hook real good. The blood should seep out when it gets wet. Keep in frig. or try freezing it ,till you need it. Please send me a pm if it works. Good Luck
    Paul

14. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    From what I've heard, you need to separate the blood. Pour it onto a table or such and let the thin stuff drain off, leaving the clots. The clots are what you want to fish with, and they can be frozen. Seems to me that the runoff would make a pretty good chum.

15. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    Yep the clots are what to use alright, Try useing small trebles with a chunk of clot and a peice of pantyhose and small thread to tie it up, find you a tree where birds roost over the water and fish under it ,you will catch catfish since they set waiting for the free meal as the bird droppings fall, and as you pitch in the clots they will hit. Kenny

16. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    you can mix the thin stuff with pectin (the stuff they make jelly with) and then cube it. put it in panty hose or something for a bait that will slowly disolve or use it in a chum bag.

17. CatfishNuggets

CatfishNuggets New Member

State:
    SC
    Why not use iodized salt?

18. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    "Iodized" means that trace amounts of iodine have been added. This is something the human body requires, how many of us have touched our tongue to a scrape that was just treated with iodine, and found that it has a really bad, bitter taste? A catfish's sense of taste is probably a million times better than a human's, so even the trace amount of iodine in iodized salt seems to turn off the kittyfish.

Clots can be treated so that they will stay on a treble hook without the aid of pantyhose, cheesecloth, or anything else. The best way is to use a piece of wire or a big needle to thread heavy mono through the center of the clot, then slide the clot on down onto the treble hook. Attach the other end of the mono to your mainline. If you use superline, the small diameter will cut through the clot and cause it to come off the treble hook easier. Use in a slow, controlled drift with little or no weight.

19. cubedweller

cubedweller New Member

State:
    MO
    I am envious of anyone with ready access to fresh blood...I'd soak up chunks of fresh cutbait in the blood. And whatever is left over will surely make some fantastic solvent for whatever kind of solid chum base you choose (alfalfa pellets?).

20. loop

loop New Member

State:
    Newkirk,Oklahom
    Kevin do the chicken guts you can get do they still have the Egg Sack with them. It will look like a pale cream colored sack with membrain thru it.Take the egg sack cut it into bait size chunks put it in a mason jar half full set it in the sun for one day then freeze it. when it comes time to use it, keep it cool when you use it. It works better in streams than a lake, the water movement spreads the sint around, it's proble the best channel bait I have ever used in this part of the country. Problem is there aren't any places around that harvest chicken in this part of the country.
    Loop