Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner

61 - 70 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
516 Posts
A 4000 sized shimano baitrunner. They're well built and that size would be versitale enough to cover a wide range of fishing.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Geez hard to choose, would definitely depend on if i was in a boat or not. But if had to choose i would say it would be an Abu Garcia baitcaster

·
Registered
KY, USA
161 Posts
I needed a relatively cheap hobby during winter while stuck indoor, so I bought some old big spinning reels made by Daiwa and DAM Quick. I clean them up, greased them, and put them back to service. They are relatively cheap, simple, with strong all metal parts. I also like how they are not flashy, they look very unassuming.

I have not used them to reel in some big fish but no doubt they are plenty capable. I really like the idea that they are pretty easy to service. It gives me something to do indoor. I have a trip coming up to Florida, hoping that I can use them to fish there.

If I have to choose among what I have now, my Daiwa 8700 gets my vote.

·
Registered
1 Posts
One reel, to fish for all catfish? I would chose an abu6500c3, the newer ones with the carbon matrix drag...I have caught 40-lb flatheads on this reel with ease..Also smaller channel cats..I can cast this reel a mile, and rarely get a birds nest.

What would your one reel to fish with be?my Camo ABU 6500 C3 ... best looking & functioning set up ever

·
Registered
403 Posts
Most likely be my ABU 6500. Using pretty much ABU's for many years It's a bit hard to compare other reels to them for me. What I'm awful sure of is it won't let me down. Justfor cat's though and taking what I could get It would be a level wind reel of some type. Really like my Millionaire and my Kastking Rover 40. If they were all I could get, I wouldn't be to awful upset!

·
Registered
26 Posts
It is on the list of reel that I like to own one day. Good choice (y)
My first was a 6500 followed by a 5000,it was followed by a 4500 which I rigged up last nite for slip floating flatheads this weekend.I love them all but I'd have to say the 6500 is a beast that'll handle anything thrown at it but for my fishing,blues and flatheads to 40ish,the 5000 is about perfect with the 4500 right on its heels.

61 - 70 of 70 Posts