Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner

21 - 40 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
I love my 6000 but a Penn 9 is completely indestructable they just don't cast as well.

I like the 6000 b/c they are a little cheaper and they have the bass style handle which I like a lot more than the power handle. It's been a really good reel for me. I also like the higher gear ratio, don't know why you'd ever want less than a 5:1.

·
Registered
315 Posts
i would have to say for most of the fishing available to me the penn 9 has been a great reel i also own a 6000c my first abu . but i am a penn fan at heart .

·
Registered
1 Posts
The Penn 555 Mag would be my sole choice. I hear many of you guys are looking at the Fixed spool reels that are used in the UK, Just a word of advice. The ones with the short reach spools will just about do the job,{but nowhere near as good as the baitcaster or multiplier as we call it}. The Shimano Long Cast is very easy to use ,holds enough line and casts easily...but ... consider this ... when you hook a big fish that runs and takes line the spool obviously rotates rapidly and the bale arm stays in the same place giving the same action as if your level wind did not move on your baitcaster when the spool revolves. The acute angle the under tension line creates as it tries to escape from the spool will cause self cutting of the line. So beware the fixed spool reel.especially the ones with the long spool.

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
welcome to the boc great first post, pointing out a problem with spinning reels that most dont see or think about reps to you.

·
Banned
10,798 Posts
If I could only have one ,It would definately be an Abu 7000

·
Registered
391 Posts
Never had a good hand for Baitcasters. I have a Shimano TLD 15 I love but don't cast far, use it more for trolling and piers/boats in deep water. For casting I love my Sedonas and Stradics spinners. I fish salt too and they hold up well. The PENN liveliners are looking good to me and I hope to pick one up soon and give it a try!!

·
Registered
7,781 Posts
Of the ones that I have tried out I would have to go with the Shamano Calcutta 400B. It would be my choice for low current,lake and boat fishing. It will out cast my abu 6500's. It will handle big fish and it has a loud but low tension bait clicker for when that style of fishing is needed.

For bank fishing and heavy current I would have to go with my Abu 7000.

·
Banned
8,592 Posts
Anything in the Quantum 1310 series whether its the QD, MG, or MGC.
Most dependable reels ever made.

Caught cats on the QD's up to 30 pounds without a hiccup.
Still fishing with some of my original QD1310's from the mid 80's and thats bass fishing. Alot of casting, alot of reeling.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I like the 6500C3 as well. Its a great size for cats, salt plugging, and even musky...if I ever fished for them. Good all around reel. I picked up a 7000i but haven't had a chance to fish it yet. I hope I like it just as much.

·
Registered
3,070 Posts
7000c3 hands down would be my weapon of choice.Good for long casts, very smooth and line capacity is great.
I'm going to have to get me one of those 7000's. But since I don't have one yet my reel of choice would be my penn 9m.

·
Registered
950 Posts
One reel, to fish for all catfish? I would chose an abu6500c3, the newer ones with the carbon matrix drag...I have caught 40-lb flatheads on this reel with ease..Also smaller channel cats..I can cast this reel a mile, and rarely get a birds nest.

What would your one reel to fish with be?
I'd have to second that vote. I think it would have to be one of the Big Games or rockets though.

·
Registered
315 Posts
the reel i currently own that suits me the best taking into cosideration that a #17 channel is the largest i have personally encounterd my penn 10 would be my reel of choice , it balances well with my uglycat and holds 275 yds. of #20 mono has a 4:1.1 ratio and bearings , and will stop a speeding king salmon heading up stream in the lake ontario tribs . it's penns answer to the 6000's in my opinion but better . remarks like that should stir some feathers lol .

·
Registered
378 Posts
I guess I'm different than everyone else one here..i pretty much fish for all species..stripe, bluegill,bass crappie ,cats etc.. I'd have to go with a zebco 33, I have worn out a few but never got a bad one..:wink:

·
Registered
50 Posts
I would have to say that although I love the 6500 C3, my favorite is the 6600 C4. I like the thumb-bar and higher speed now that I have gotten used to them.

21 - 40 of 70 Posts