If you could have a custom made slate call

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting' started by 223reload, Sep 25, 2009.

1. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    If you could have any kind of material on a custom made pot type call,or slate yelper ,what would it be,I have heard crystal/copper, glass/aluminum ,glass over slate. What would your preferrence be?

2. on_the_fly

on_the_fly New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    well I realy love my slate. I have only ever used slate and glass and out of those two the slate is a much sweeter sound to me. But if I could ever get those diaphram calls down I'll through all my other calls away. I love the Idea of hands free and I've heard people that can use them extreemly well and I would have a hard time telling the difference between a man calling and a turkey bird. ( thats one of the main reasons why you should 100% know your targes visualy before you shoot-- just a little clairification for any yonger readeds) but I also like the box for the windy days as well. I would also like to hear inputs on the other striker calls. just might inspire me to want to run to BP and shell out some mulla I dont have lol

3. Wabash River Bear

Wabash River Bear New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I agree with Leroy, slate is easy to work, and sounds good, my Old Yeller is about the best I've ever used.
    I do like crystal as well for its high frequency.
    One of these days when I'm rich, lol, I'm gonna have a custom crystal made to look like a Skoal Longcut Straight can out of dark cherry and crystal.

4. kyelkhunter3006

kyelkhunter3006 New Member

State:
    Ky
    I do have a custom "slate" call. It was a prototype from a company called Cumberland River Calls. It's a green polycarbonate base with a green fiberglass surface, with holes in the bottom of the base for better sound. It's an all-weather, totally waterproof call. It came with a couple of different strikers, and it will work well with any other material, be it wood, glass, or graphite.

I guess they decided not to pursue it, because I don't see it on their website. It's an UGLY thing, but it sounds fabulous. You can crack out the sharpest yelps you've ever heard, it's got about the smoothest purr I've heard, and it puts out a fine cluck too. My buddy has just about every diaphram and slate in production, and he likes my "Green Monster" better than all of them. It's an easy one to work, very forgiving. My 10 and 8 year olds called in a couple of toms with it last year. They didn't get close enough to shoot, but heck, the best part of turkey hunting is the "talking".