If you can't. You ain't goin.

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by BIG GEORGE, Sep 21, 2009.

1. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    If you can't back a trailer down a ramp ya ain't goin fishin with me. LOL! Let me tell ya. Its freekin sweet just drivein my boat up on to the trailer. Hook up the strap and safety chain and up up and away. LOL! Got to get the Mrs. over to the big old parkin lot and get her squared away. LOL!

2. bud1110

bud1110 New Member

State:
    East Texas
    Hear what your saying BG. Thankfully my wife can back our trailer without any problems. Makes loading up a snap..

3. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Chivalry has gone to hell in a handbasket.

I figure it like this. If she keeps my clothes clean and keeps my belly fed I can handle the boat and the trailer.:wink:

4. bnewsom71

bnewsom71 New Member

State:
    Mathervill
    Mine has tried a couple of times, but I just do them both. In the long run it saves both of us a headache. And it really doesn't bother me to do them anyway. Since she is my normal fishin' partner, we have a pretty good system, while I am doing all of that, she is cleanin' up the boat and getting things put back where they need to be for the road home.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2009
  5. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    So what your saying is, you would like to get in the boat at home, have her driver you to the ramp, back you in, then come back at your convenience and do it all in reverse? Sounds like a plan to me..... lmao :crazy::smile2::smile2::smile2:

6. Jollymon

Jollymon Well-Known Member

State:
    Wilm .N.C
    George when you take the wife to practise backing the trailer ,tell her to gripe the bottom of the steering wheel ,an then turn the steering wheel the way she wants the trailer to go .I have found it is ezier to teach someone that way ,than holding the top an haveing to reverse the movement :wink: . That is one thing i,m lucky on my wife can back a trailer about anywhere she wants to

7. Dano

Dano New Member

State:
    Texas
    I never knew how far a trailer could be turned from left to right until I watched my wife back it down. . Dang thing nearly gets side by side with the truck at times. LOL

Yelp, my wife can’t back a trailer. Takes her a while to get r done.

I look at it as an opportunity for one more cast.
    I drop her off at the pier. While she gets truck/trailer. I ease out a little and bait up again. Fish for a good ½ hour before I have to say, stop, the truck don’t float.

8. 320hotrod

320hotrod New Member

State:
    KCMO
    I tried to teach my wife once when the ramp was empty, but she gave up long before me. Her patience is pretty short, but she don't really ever go with me anyways. That was when we had a skiboat and she went every time. While it is nicer to have another helper, I've done it myself for so long it's like second nature and doesn't take any longer than a couple minutes extra than having someone else there. Now, waiting for some other guy to figure out how to back a trailer while I'm waiting to launch, that's a different story.

9. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    It sounds like BG is joining the retirement crowd. Remote Control, everything.:wink:

10. Boomer

Boomer New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Here is what I did when I had my boat....

I took about a 30 foot lenght of rope and tie it to the eye on front and the bumper, unlatch the boat and motor, release the boat from the trailer in front and back down pretty quick and then slam on the brakes, the boat floats from under the trailer then I pull up untie it from the bumper and tie it to something on the bank.....

On the way in I pull up on the bank and use the same rope to tie off....back the trailer in the water and get back in and drive it on the trailer. Saves time and effort....

I wouldnt dare let my wife try and back the trailer in the water......she has a hard time driving forward.....I can just imagine how my truck would look under water....

11. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    Being yer from Joicy, does that mean she has ta back up with one hand on the wheel, giving the "LA Howdy" salute out the window at the same time?
    :smile2:

12. DLB-in-GR

DLB-in-GR New Member

State:
    MI
    This is a great post. Because I can't back my car down a long driveway :confused2:, much less could I back my boat trailer up in a straight line! I went to the parking lots, practiced and practiced, I just could never get the hang of it. I think its a sort of dyslexia or something, I am good at other things but not trailers. People got so annoyed with me waiting in line behind me on a Saturday at dusk with everyone stacked up at the launch ready to leave. Finally I gave up and whenever I went out with my boat (before I sold it, a bass boat not suited for rivers or outfitted for catfishing) I had my buddy back the trailer up or else it took forever. I tried at night once and bent the trailer :smile2:. Some guys have this mental block, I can't wrap my mind around it and do it at the same time. I wish my father had forced me to do it every time starting when I was about 10, then it would probably be natural to me.

13. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    The easiest way to learn is with a long tongued trailer.
    These short tongued trailers require so little wheel input to get alot of turning output.

The long tongue is alot more forgiving. Everything doesn't happen as fast.
    Another factor to learning is being able to see. Tow vehicle has alot to do with it.

14. catfishinsc

catfishinsc New Member

State:
    SC
    My problem now is just the opposite. I learned originally with small trailers behind lawn mowers and tractors, and then a jon boat trailer behind a truck. I usually have no trouble with the jon boat. Now that we also have a bigger boat with a longer trailer I'm having trouble with it.

15. Todd Strong

Todd Strong Active Member

State:
    Cambridge, Ne
    I feel fortunate that my wife can back a trailer. But like Mark said, Years back I use to have a 26ft bayliner and the trailer was very slow to turn, and helped her to learn.