If you are familiar with the Harpeth

Discussion in 'LOCAL TENNESSEE TALK' started by catman529, Aug 27, 2007.

1. catman529

catman529 New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    If you fish the Harpeth River at all, please help me build this log database.
    http://harpethfish.50g.com/
    It won't be full until a year from now (when it has reports year-round), but it needs at least a few reports every month. When it is full, well I guess there is no such thing as it getting full. It will eventually be a huge fishing resource for anybody who fishes the Harpeth.

So far all I got in there is a gar...but I'll be targeting some more catfish and even bass this summer and fall. I thought of just doing a personal log to help myself out when fishing is tough. but then the idea hit me that I should put it on the Web for anybody around here to use.

So I thought I would post it here. let me know if you got any suggestions or corrections.

tight lines

2. cumberlandcat

cumberlandcat New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Thats pretty cool man if I end up fishing it I will let you know and I will post my report. Nice work.

3. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I've never fished the Harpeth, but I've crossed it a bunch of times on I40, and thought it looked like a great little river to fish.

4. catman529

catman529 New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    you bet it is. channel cats, lm&sm bass, spotted bass, rock bass, bream, crappie (I have yet to see one in there), longnose gar, black & smallmouth buffalo, redhorse, etc etc. it's great for wading or bank fishing, and sometimes I take out my inflatable boat for gar fishing.

5. craddock1

craddock1 Active Member

State:
    TENNESSEE
    It has been 30 years since i fished the harpeth. never caught much always worried about catching a body. In those days the harpeth was a favorite spot to dump bodies from killings in nashville.
    I was bank fishing one night when i got something that fought for 45 minutes every time i gained a little line it would take it away. when i finally got it near the bank my wife shined a light on it and i never saw it again. I dont even know what it was but that was some fight.

6. jeffjbeard

jeffjbeard New Member

State:
    warsaw missouri
    Great job on the web site Jon hope it takes off looks to be a winner to me.

7. catman529

catman529 New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    remember where that was? cuz here where I fish they don't get much over 10 lbs, and that's only the carp & buffalo. how big was the river at that spot?

8. craddock1

craddock1 Active Member

State:
    TENNESSEE
    It was a side road off highway 70 just a few miles out of nashville. don't remember exactly where. it was 30 years ago. we walked down off the road onto a sand bar. the water beside the sand bar was 6 inches deep at most and 10 feet across. i fished a hole below the sand bar about 50 feet wide and a couple hundred feet long. probably 4 feet deep in places. i figured it was a carp but there is no way of knowing for sure. i went back several times and never hooked anything like that again. we were using night crawlers so it could have been anything.