If U don't like 2 read- don't click here (long)

Discussion in 'LOCAL KANSAS TALK' started by StiffPole, Jun 2, 2009.

1. StiffPole

StiffPole New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas,
    Interesting day/night at John Redmond

I have only been to J.R. once, which was a week or two ago when I got a 40+ lb flathead. Needless to say, I am far from familiar with the lake, but I did notice it is a fairly good-sized place. The lake is pretty big, and then you have the wildlife preserve, which sits above it, and also covers many, many acres. Add to this the fact it is all probably 15 feet high, you got a lot of land, or in this case water.
    I didn’t go fishing with my usual fishing partner this weekend, but he decided he was going to take his wife to J.R. for some fishing. They were going to take a tent, try to find some dry ground, and stay the weekend. He called me Sun. morning, and said something was wrong with his boat motor, he was kinda stranded with two women, who were out of cigarettes, would I please bring some tools, and a couple packs of smokes, and save him. My wife and I had been discussing going fishing later in the afternoon, somewhere closer, but decided we would go rescue them. Not that I really had a choice, so I guess we really just decided that she was going, but has to be back by 5 a.m. Monday to go to work.
    We get out there, I go way around the reserve/lake in one direction and see no signs of anyone camping on any of the scarce bank. My partner’s truck was at the launch site, so I knew he was there. He didn’t have his cell phone, but his wife’s friend had hers, and he had called me from it numerous times before I left my house. When I went to call the phone back it showed as an unknown number and wouldn’t recall it. The wind was pretty strong, and by the time the waves got across the lake they weren’t punks. I knew his boat, which is the same size as my 14’ boat, had a much heavier load, plus a extra person than I had. I couldn’t imagine him navigating much farther onto the lake. I cut diagonally across the lake to start searching along that bank. I figured they would see me out on the lake, and figure out some way to get my attention, or call me again. I followed that bank all the way back around, and ended up back at the trucks. By this time it is about to start getting dark. We think maybe after dark we will be able to see their campfire. I figured he knew I was coming to the lake, so if I didn’t find them I would at least fish, I would fish where I had caught the nice fish last week. If nothing else he would unload his boat, and row over to the spot he knew I would be. I fished for a couple of hours then decided to go look for lights/fires. We started back around the lake and my motor died. I knew right off what it was. We had a full tank of gas when we arrived, but we had covered some ground. Bone dry. We started to row, the wind continued to blow, the wrong way. We realized that we wasn’t where we thought we was. This was my wife’s first trip to J.R. She got an attitude, I got an attitude, she is cold, we are lost on a flooded lake at night, out of gas, and she has to be at work in a few hours. Not pretty.
    I had better hurry this along, sorry guys- we got towed back by some guys who we had seen Sun. night running lines. If you’re reading this: Thanks again guys- My wife missed work and we still didn’t find who we went there to help. I left the cigarettes in my partners truck. They showed up at my house this evening, pulling an empty trailer. I guess overnight the waves ended up beating the boat against the rocks and ripped about a two feet gouge in it and it sank. They finally walked and found a road with some oil wells on it, contacted the sheriff and got a ride back to their truck. None of us caught a fish one-

2. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Well George it sounds like you were all lucky to make it back alive! And I recon the chances of taking your wife out again are slim. :0a17:

3. n2fishn

n2fishn New Member

State:
    Topeka,Kan
    Dang George what a night you all had.At least no one got hurt.

Thanks for the story.

4. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    Just gonna have to write that trip off as a bad experience.

5. Dsage

Dsage Active Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    Sounds like an interesting night George, JR can be a Devil when the winds pick up, that lake can turn nasty fast. Glad everyone is ok, and thanks for the story.

6. PHLIPS4BIGKATS

PHLIPS4BIGKATS New Member

State:
    Alma Kansas
    Thanks for te story george I'm you your wife and friends crew are alright.

7. River Outlaw

River Outlaw New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas,
    that was a good read, better than the trip i reckin, :smile2:. just join the club. come fishin with me and my brother and i bet we can do better on the "bad trip" meter, :smile2:. glad it ended well.

8. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    Glad everything worked out George. Im bet you are glad that its over.

9. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    I think you got the better end of the deal... you weren't stuck with two irate women and your boat didn't sink:eek:oooh::eek:oooh:
    ...W

10. channelin

channelin New Member

State:
    Baldwin City Kansas
    George glad to hear everyone is ok. We got caught on "JR" last spring with some wicked winds after dark and I was not for sure we were going to make it back to the ramp but we made it just a little wetter than we started out! Let me tell you it gets a little scary when your in a deep V and the waves are coming over the front:big_smile:

11. StiffPole

StiffPole New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas,
    Unfortunately, its not over. My friend is coming by when he gets off work- we have to go get all his stuff. They didn't bring anything out of there with them.:sad2:

12. Dsage

Dsage Active Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    Be careful it is forecasted to get nasty today and tonight.

13. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    Your are a good friend to do that. Be careful out there.
    Use caution.

14. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    George that is an interesting story. I'm glad to read that you all returned safe. Everything else can be replaced.