If they would give me the authority - I'd do it for free!

Discussion in 'KANSAS LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by KansasKatter, May 26, 2009.

1. KansasKatter

KansasKatter New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    We camped at Eldorado all weekend, on the river behind the spillway. I didn't fish much, other than taking my little girl to catch bluegill a couple of different locations, but was so pissed whith what I saw behind the spillway I could just spit.:angry:

The entire area is just FULL of trash, anywhere from beer cans to whiskey bottles, water bottles, grocery bags, worm boxes, lure wrappers, you name it. Some of the douche bags even go to the trouble of sacking up all their trash into a plastic grocery bag, and then leave it on the rocks where they were fishing.

I KDWP would give me the authority, I would not charge them for my time or labor to sit down there and pass out tickets for a day for anyone leaving ANY trash behind them. The punishment.....a STIFF fine, $500-$1,000, and 3 weekends of trash detail at the very same location they were ticketed.

Either that, or they could just give me the OK to start knocking people out, and pinning a note on their chest explaining why when the wake up!:wink::smile2:

2. SGTREDNECK

SGTREDNECK New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I know how you feel. There are a few places I fish from the bank and there is always trash there. I clean it up everytime i am there. I bring a rake with me and rake the broken glass, just to see it destroyed again. Pretty soon they are not going to let us fish there anymore if dumb asses dont stop this. Its not that hard to pick up after yourself. What is this world coming to when you cant enjoy nature because of others trash. SGT Shorey over and out

3. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    You have my permission Jeff.:wink::smile2:
    It is sad. Happens all the time but its even worse on Memorial weekend. Thats when all of the twice a year campers come out.:angry:

4. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    I think the knock out/note, will work just fine. By all means initiate operation spillway cleanup. :smile2:

5. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    I vote with Keith on this.:go::go::go:

6. kcgeoff

kcgeoff New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Yea if that works then we need to initiate it at Olathe Lake aswell. :big_smile:

7. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

I always take a garbage bag with me,Iset it right next to my tackle box,it,s the first thing I open up.I keep on my nephew about it so he grows up knowing a little respect for the riverbank.I,ve tried shaming people by going over and throwing their trash in my bag too,It don,t seem to be working!I guess some people are just plain ignorant bastards.I aint been in jail for a lot of years and would like to keep it that way,but there,s a lot of days I,m pretty tempted to resort to the knockout system.I,d like to see it employed on jetskiers that think the best place to zip around in circles is right in front of where I,m fishing!:angry:

8. n2fishn

n2fishn New Member

State:
    Topeka,Kan
    I thought Kansas was the only state with dumm A$$ Jetskiers..:eek:oooh::sad2:

9. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Geoff, maybe we could talk to the parks and rec dept. and trade a day of trash cleanup for some overnight permits. That way we wouldnt get run off by Johnny Law if hes having a bad day. :big_smile:

10. shelbygt1979

shelbygt1979 New Member

State:
    Olathe, KS
    I am Game!! Sounds like a plan to me.

11. Backlashed

Backlashed New Member

State:
    Derby, Kansas
    Most of the problem at the camp grounds below the dam at ElDo is not created by local sportsmen. That camp ground has utilities year round, and long term "camping" is allowed there. Those that are leaving the mess are out of state refinery turnaround workers, many of which are of the non English speaking variety. They simply don't care, they are there only because they need a place to live, and they are treating it like their own back yard.

12. Raven

Raven New Member

State:
    alabama
    I take my kids fishing <not just mine>. Im the only mom who will go so i end up with a truck load of them.

I take girls, and we end up in some parks with people drinking and cursing and well you can imagine. We end spending 30 minutes just cleaning an area to fish then the girls getting the nerve to come out of the truck and me assigning a boy to the girls to keep an eye on them while dart between the groups. I have to admit some people are just so nice.. The kids are happy. It is the few that leave bad impressions that really suck!

I vote knock them out hard then make them police the area for a year!

13. Higgsa720

Higgsa720 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I wouldn't wait for KDWP. Make up fake tickets and give them out. :wink: Be vocal about tickets so all around hear. I bet the placebo efect will kick in and there will be less trash. By the time they figure out its not a real ticket they should get teh meesage to pick up their trash.

Andy

14. KansasKatter

KansasKatter New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    I think the fines would be the real eye opener. It should not be any different than littering on the highway, and you see those signs all the time that the fines are from $500 - $1000 for highway littering. Post some signs, and put a ranger down there for a couple of hours during the weekend, wouldn't take long to get the message across.

The campgrounds are in good shape, and I know a lot of the folks who camp there and they are good people, with respect for the park, and keep the area nice and clean. It is the spillway that attracts all the idiots I am talking about. When they start letting out a lot of water, with the ability to bait a hook has a chance to catch a large number of fish, or a trophy, so it brings out all the wannabe anglers who only fish there a few days out of the year, so what do they care how much crap they leave behind.....gets the ole BP up just thinking about it........:eek:oooh:

15. Calvin

Calvin New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Jeff, that's been going on for years at El Dorado and I've never seen anyone get a ticket or even made to pick up their mess. I'm all for the "knockout lesson" and maybe use the buckknife to perform a little "reproductive" surgery while they are out. If you want to go with me to talk to KDWP I'll be happy to raise hell about it. I don't think it will do any good. As for the refinery workers using the area: The new area by the beach was financed by Frontier Refinery to provide a spot with full hookups for contractors working at the refinery. Most of them DO speak english and are from Texas, Iowa, Oklahoma, and Missouri. This allows these skilled craftsmen and supervisors an opportunity to haul their campers, boats, money, and FAMILIES with them on extended jobs during the summer. Most of them are a pretty good bunch of guys and I've not seen any of them dumping trash at the spillway. Of course there could be exceptions. They are supposed to be under the same rules as everyone else. By that I mean they have to leave the park every 14 days. My time is up tomorrow and I have to move my camper. It was such a mess out there I didn't even come out during the holiday. If they ever decide to quit draining the lake the flatheads will be you know where. Before I leave tonight I'm going to drive over and check out a camper in the Frontier area (not a contractor) that has been in the same spot all winter. How did your tournament at Winfield go?

16. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Calvin , Shelby and I stopped at the Outlet Park at El Dorado to take showers, and to try for shad at the spillway. Had I known you were there, I would have came by and said hi. :big_smile:

17. Backlashed

Backlashed New Member

State:
    Derby, Kansas
    Calvin, I meant no disrespect to anyone, refinery worker or otherwise, whether they speak English or not, but you do have to admit there are some pretty nasty sites in that area. If I'm wrong about who they are, I apologize.
    Its a shame ANYONE could get by with that crap, without so much as a slap on the hand.

18. KansasKatter

KansasKatter New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    Calvin, I tried to catch you guys over the holiday, saw you drive through one time I think, but I was at the playground with the kids, so couldn't get your attention. We had a good time over the weekend, boy the wind sure tore that place a new one, especially over by the swimming lake. I did manage to get to fish one night, but could not find anywhere to catch any good bait, so only ended up with about 4 or 5 perch that my daughter and I managed to catch on the back side of the spillway area. I did have one nice bite though, but he took me over the tree laying in the water by the foot bridge on the bike trail, and broke me off. He was no monster, but he was a pretty nice fish.

The Winfield tournament was very nice as usual, despite the fishing being tough as hell for some reason. Not sure why, water was barely on the stained side of clear, not to much wind, water temp was lower 70s, no fronts coming through, we had great bait, and lots of it, just not many fish, and no nice fish. It wasn't just us either, there were fewer fish weighed in this year than any year I can remember, going back 20 years or so. The winning fish was only 25lbs, and let's just say its origin is so much more than questionable, there is really no question about it.:angry: That is all I am going to say about that.:confused2: But all in all, it was a good weekend with fantastic weather, plenty of beer, and good quality time with step son and nephew and brother, which is what it is really all about anyway.

19. boombalaty

boombalaty New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I actually asked a warden about this last week. He says they really cant allow us to do anything because littering in a state park is a misdemeanor. So basically it is an arrestable offense so to issue tickets a person would have to have a law enforcement certificate for Kansas. That sucks:angry:

20. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    That still wont stop me from throwing my trash into the back of their truck when I leave. :smile2: