If only..

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting' started by Wil, Mar 25, 2007.

1. Wil

Wil New Member

State:
    Minden Nebraska
    ya, i took my bow out this morning for opening day and i wish i could brag about my first kill cuz i had two chances.. i started out when i was set up about 150 yards from a group of 4 toms, they werent that big but i wasnt gonna be picky like i never am for firsts. one of them was yelping so i coppied him with my mouth call and by 7:25 they were within bow range and i was at full draw. i let fly and my arrow chopped off his tail feathers. DARN!!!. o well i knew there was another bigger gobbler comin my way so i sat tight. about 8:30 he came into bow range and i let fly and the wind picked up right as i pulled my release trigger and sent the arrow flyin off to my left(east).. CRAP!!!!! ya i was upset but then i hear another group of 5 toms comin my way and i thought *if they get into bow range their dead* my bows max pin is 30 yards and at 9:00 they were at 40 yards and stopped just struttin and gobblin.. ya i was gettin mad and all of a sudden one of then just turned around and ran off. i know they didnt see me because i was behind plenty of cover and was standing still. i guess they didnt like somethin cuz they all left very slowly after that like they were goin *haha haha u cant shoot us haha haha* u know like the little kids taunt someone if they cant catch them.. ya i was mad cuz that last group had a trophy bird that i wouldve got mounted have i shot him.. o well atleast i got some good experience from all of that! and i still got the rest of the season too!

2. Jesse168

Jesse168 Member

State:
    Memphis, Tennessee
    Maybe they smelled one of the arrows you shot earlier...or smelled where the turkey ya shot the tail feathers out messed in it's tracks ! :0a28:

Jesse

3. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Sounds loke a logical explanation here Jesse:bad_smelly:

4. field989

field989 New Member

State:
    east central indiana
    I HIGHLY DOUBT THE SMELLING....

me and my dad and my dads friend when we go turkey hunting we coat ourselves with bug spray... although we have been close we havent got a turkey yet but my dads friend has got one almost every year.... THEY DO HAVE UNCANNY EYESIGHT

it is unbelieveable how good their eyesight is.. smell... NOT SO MUCH lol

Jeff

5. Wil

Wil New Member

State:
    Minden Nebraska
    i dont think they smelled me either. i dont think they saw me cuz they didnt act scared at all. no putting n and stuff like that they just walked off

6. jlcclh

jlcclh New Member

State:
    Virginia
    You should get some of the arrows the Duke boys used to use on "The Dukes of Hazzard"! :big_smile:

7. huntsfromtree

huntsfromtree New Member

State:
    KC Northland
    Sounds like a pretty good hunt to me. I have to wait to the April 16th opener. Good luck and Aim small, miss small.