Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner

if only i had this kind of luck

1K views 11 replies 10 participants last post by  derbycitycatman 
#1 ·
my grand fathers friend friend, a former pastor from my church, was hunting down in NC. he was hunting and saw a decent 8 point buck come out made a great shot and the deer drops about 15 yards away. he gets down and walks over to the deer and starts gutting it as he hears a noise in the brush, he gets back to his treestand and a doe walks out. he chuckles softly thinking he just got all nervous over the small doe but then a very large 11 point bucks walks out behing the doe. needless to say he makes another greta shot and puts the deer down. so now he has some meat and 2 deer to hang on the wall all in about 15 mins of hunting. both deer were over 200lbs so they were big deer. now only if i had his luck!

#5 ·
I have "experienced" that kind of luck before.My wife ,now deceased, decided after taking my Browning O/U skeet gun and becoming a AA shooter,that she would take up deer hunting with me when we were at FT.Hood Texas.She sorted through my gun collection , passed by the Weatherbys and selected a Rem 700 BDL Varmint Model 22/250 which was legal for deer and decided that was her gun.She of course became proficient with it in short order and we signed up for a hunt on the base.At Ft.Hood you are taken out by guides and put on stands.We climbed up in the pre-dawn darkness,the stand was an old range tower so she curled up with her blanket and promptly went to sleep while I humped rifles binos, seats etc etc up the steps.At first lite there was a doe about 100yds from the stand so I nudged her awake and told her to take the shot.I'm looking thru the binos ,waitng for the bang which didn't come so I look over and she is putting on lipstick and checking her self in the mirror.Finally she picks up rifle and while I am saying ,breath squeeeeeeze,POW she shoots.Doe drops instantly,I all proud and excited,OK OK I give her a big kiss and glance out at the doe and there stands a nice and I mean nice 8 point.I turn to tell her and; POW!!! buck drops like a stone.WOW now she is excited,we are both carrying on and I'M getting my knife etc to start gutting and am 1/2 way down the steps when; POW!!!.Scares me half to death,another buck even bigger has stepped out and is now dead.Climb back up make sure the rifle is on safe,look over just in time to see BIG bobcat jump on one of the deer and begin tearing it up.I'm ready this time:pOW!!! Bobcat joins ancestors and is now laying on buck. It's getting hard to breath for all the gunsmoke and I'm mentally counting our available remaining ammunition in case a Zebra or something steps out,and wondering if 22/250 is legal for Zebra.Sounds of the great battle finally fade and I climb down to go gut everything. Of course the chief executioner for Ft.Hood is not going to assist with the dirty work and is in fact busy restoring her hairdo to pristine condition.I gut everything drag it all back to the stand and somehow hang all the deer from the crossbar provided, stagger back up the steps to find spouse calmly reading a paperback,wondering what all the fuss is over this deer hunting thing.Fall to the floor exhausted,pull blanket over head and fall asleep to be promptly booted awake 30 seconds later by Daniela Boone,who tells me to go down and close the eyes on all the deer because she doesn't like them looking at her.Weather channel reports the air turned blue from an apparent "ColdFront" over central Texas and I know I invented some curse words but do it anyway.Real rucus starts when guide comes to pick us up in the 3/4 ton truck with the other hunters who hadn't seen anything.One of them suggests out loud that she didn't shoot the deer I did. I quickly remove rifle from spouses hand.Its a 30 min trip back to the Rod and Gun club and I promise you when the truck stopped, actually before it stopped the other hunters unloaded in a hurry having heard the ancestory of the offender called in to question for 30 straight minutes.Did I mention she was a redhead?To this day it is the darndest run of luck I ever heard of.Every time I handle that rifle and it hasn't been fired since nor will it be that whole memory comes back.

#8 ·
Well, those are all great stories. I had similar luck one day while trying to varmint hunt, but it all went wrong.

I had wanted to get a bobcat for my wall for years. Myself and my best hunting buddy Greg set out for an evening trying to call in some coyotes or bobcats, or whatever would show its face. We were sitting on the top of a ridge overlooking a huge valley. We started with a wounded rabbit call to see if we could scare anything up. We called and called and nothing came, so just as we were about to move spots I saw a bobcat down in the bottom of the valley about 300yds away. We continued to call and it continued to inch closer and closer. Finaly it was about 75yds away and moving right at us. I had borrowed Gregs .243 that day and I was unfamiliar with the gun. I raised the gun and put the cross hairs dead on the cat. I took a deep breath, let about half of it out and squeezed the trigger. Saftey was on crap! Clicked the safety and tried again. Nothing. Looked down and the lever hadn't been locked all the way down. In getting the lever locked down it made a noise and the Bobcat took off. We never saw him again. Of course I was upset, and was cussing myself for not being ready when the chance had come. We got up to leave and were walking back to the truck when we saw another one that must have heard the call and was coming up from the back. He saw us when we saw him and he froze dead in his tracks. I was standing and I raised my gun, then realized I had unloaded it when we got up to leave. I scrambled for the bullets I had put in my pocket all the while trying to keep an eye on him, but as soon as I was able to get the gun loaded he was gone. I have never had the chance to shoot at another Bobcat in my life and I had two easy chances to get one on that day. I'm still kicking myself for that one! I had great luck with horrible results.

#10 ·
Nick sorry you missed your chances for the wall mount.We did a lot of varmint calling when I lived out west and managed to get a lynx in Colo.and a bobcat or two.At one time we could actually make a little money on prime coyote pelts before the antis ruined the fur business.Their coats are really beautiful in the winter and we used to call them in around prairie dog towns.A good pelt was worth 100-200$ in their prime.Had to use solid bullets in the 22/250 so as not to damage the fur.I had the good luck to call in a mountain lion once but it was such a beautiful animal that I couldn't bring myself to pull the trigger.May have killed it anyway because when it got to about 10 yds I stood up and said BOOO as loud as I could.Cat jumped 10 ft straight up and left its skin right there!!!Probably froze to death.Ita amazing the creatures that will come to a varmint call.Hawks,badgers,foxes,bobcats and once had a weasel come in to see what the commotion was.A lot of fun and even more fun to do it with a camera.

#11 ·
I had tht same type of luck out on Kodiak one time. I was skinning out a 3x3 when my partner shot a 4x4 100yards away. Followed by my Boone and Croket balcktail that I shot from literally on top of my buck I was skinning. 3 deer 15mins, all 150 yards form camp, all within a hundred yards of each other. 2 going boone and crocket. My partners was a nontypical and mine was a typical 3x3.

-brian

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.